Bebop Spoken There

John McLaughlin: ''It was then that Coltrane came along and single-handedly brought this dimension of spirituality into jazz. It was a pivotal experience to me.'' (DownBeat September, 2026)

The Things They Say!

This is a good opportunity to say thanks to BSH for their support of the jazz scene in the North East (and beyond) - it's no exaggeration to say that if it wasn't for them many, many fine musicians, bands and projects across a huge cross section of jazz wouldn't be getting reviewed at all, because we're in the "desolate"(!) North. (M & SSBB on F/book 23/12/24)

Postage

18957 (and counting) posts since we started blogging 18 years ago. 821 of them this year alone and, so far this month (Sept. 30.) 100.

Reviewers wanted

Whilst BSH attempts to cover as many gigs, festivals and albums as possible, to make the site even more comprehensive we need more 'boots on the ground' to cover the albums seeking review - a large percentage of which never get heard - report on gigs or just to air your views on anything jazz related. Interested? then please get in touch. Contact details are on the blog. Look forward to hearing from you. Lance

From This Moment On

October.

Tue 06: Alan Law @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 2:00pm. Free. Alan Law (piano) w. Paul Grainger (double bass).
Tue 06: Jam session @ The Black Swan, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free. House trio: Murray Oak, Paul Grainger, John Bradford.
Tue 06: Customs House Big Band @ The Masonic Hall, Ferryhill. 7:30pm. Free.
Tue 06: Black is the Color of My Voice @ Northern Stage, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Apphia Campbell’s one-woman stage play inspired by Nina Simone. First night of two.

Wed 07: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free. Wed 07: Darlington Big Band @ Darlington & Simpson Rolling Mills Social Club, Darlington. 7:00pm. Free. Rehearsal session (open to the public).
Wed 07: Take it to the Bridge @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free.
Wed 07: Black is the Color of My Voice @ Northern Stage, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Apphia Campbell’s one-woman stage play inspired by Nina Simone. Second night of two.

Thu 08: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ The Millstone, Mill Rise, South Gosforth, Newcastle. 1:00pm. Free.
Thu 08: Pete Tanton’s Chet Set @ Newcastle Arts Centre. 7:30pm. Free (donations).
Thu 08: Indigo Jazz Voices w. Little Big Band @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:45pm. £5.00.

Fri 09: Dean Stockdale Trio @ Bishop Auckland Methodist Church. 1:00pm. £9.00. Dean Stockdale (piano); Mick Shoulder (double bass); John Bradford (drums).
Fri 09: John Rowland Trio @ Jesmond Library, Newcastle. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Classic Swing @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: Rendezvous Jazz @ The Monkseaton Arms. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: New Orleans Preservation Jazz Band @ The Oxbridge Hotel, Stockton. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Shalala @ The Globe, Newcastle.

Sat 10: Catfish Keith @ Cluny 2, Newcastle. 7:30pm (doors). £19.00. + bf. Jumpin’ Hot Club.

Sun 11: Am Jam @ The Globe, Newcastle. 2:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Michael Young Trio @ The Engine Room, Sunderland. 2:30pm. Free. Feat. guest Jack ‘Banjo’ Courtney (trumpet).
Sun 11: 4B @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 3:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Harry Christelis Quartet @ The Globe, Newcastle. 8:00pm. A Jazz Co-op-JNE co-promotion.

Mon 12: Jack Pearce Quintet @ Yamaha Music School, Blyth. 1:00pm.
Mon 12: Friends of Jazz @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.

Monday, May 20, 2019

CD Review: Carol Sudhalter Quartet - Live at Saint Peter's Church

Carol Sudhalter (baritone sax/flute/vocal - 5); Patrick Poladian (piano); Kevin Hailey (bass); Mike Campenni (drums).
(Review by Lance)

This one had slipped off my radar until I read a DownBeat review where it was allotted a paltry 2½ stars. I decided to dig it out of the pile and check if the live recording in St. Peter's Church, NY, was really that bad. I decided it wasn't.

Sudhalter, niece* of trumpeter and Beiderbecke biographer Richard,  is somewhat leaden at times on baritone yet still manages to tame the beast and the ideas are there if not always the fluidity. As the man from DB pointed out, Sudhalter is heard at her best on flute. The acoustics do her no favours on the vocal Colin Blues although, paradoxically, her flute solo on this number is one of the high spots of the album.

Valse Hot displays her technique on baritone. It reminds me of Harry Klein who was the British bari king until Ronnie Ross arrived who was the British bari king before John Surman arrived who was the British bari king before...

I digress, apart from the leader, Poladian is in top form with bass and drums on the money. Listen to the bass solo on Gee Baby Ain't I Good to You? and you'll see where I'm coming from.

Sudhalter - flute 5 stars; bari 3 stars; vocal 2 stars; recording engineer (or maybe the architect who designed the church without knowing there would be jazz held there a couple of hundred years later - he should have checked out Hoagy's Old Music Master!) 1 star. 
Lance
On a Misty night; Park Avenue Petite; Time Remembered; Funk in Deep Freeze; Colin Blues; Valse Hot; Fun in the Alley; Gee Baby Ain't I Good to You?; Luiza.
* Actually brother! See comment from Carol.

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the listening and for the wonderful review! Just wanted you to know that rich didn't have any nieces nor do I. He was my brother!

Carol Sudhalter said...

Hi Lance, this isn't really a comment, I just wanted to communicate with you and I don't know your email address. I agreed with a lot of what you said. Very astute! About the engineer, there wasn't one. I recorded the concert with a little Zoom H5 Gadget which I placed on the floor. Never thought that it would become a CD. So sorry about that. And the other thing I wanted to say was, did you have a chance to listen to Park Avenue petite? That to me exemplifies what I do best on baritone: the tone, the phrasing and good execution of a Melody which as you know is part of my family tradition! Best, carol
P.s. send youremail! I do play in UK from time to time.

Lance said...

Hi Carol,

Yes I did listen to Park Avenue Petite and I agree it is lovely. I should have mentioned it but space etc. Your disclosure that there wasn't an actual sound engineer paints a whole different picture on the balance. Thanks for the explanation.
You will find my email address at the foot of the left-hand column.
Lance.
PS: Do get in touch next time you are in UK.
PPS: I heard Richard playing in, I think, the early 1970's in Newcastle, UK, I think Susannah McCorkle was also on the bill.

Blog Archive