Bebop Spoken There
Cannonball Adderley: "It's almost a rule of thumb that tenor players are long-winded types, and even when we restrict the number of choruses ahead of time the tenor players would seem to run over. No brevity." - (Downbeat November 16, 1967.
J.D. Allen: “What I learned from other musicians is that jazz recordings have a tendency to be too long”. - (Downbeat February 2013)
Today Friday December 9
Friday, December 09, 2016
Thursday, December 08, 2016
Wednesday, December 07, 2016
Tuesday, December 06, 2016
Monday, December 05, 2016
- Emma Fisk and James Birkett @ St Cuthberts Church,...
- CD Review: Chicago Stompers - Sing...It's Good for...
- EP Review: Medeljazz Quartet - Yesternow.
- Alter Ego @ The Fox Inn, Hexham. Dec 6
- Jazz Café Jam Session - December 6
- Saturnalia Festival @ Sage Gateshead
- HTrio @ The Bridge Hotel, Newcastle - December 4
- RIP Herbert Hardesty
- Kathryn Williams & Anthony Kerr @ The Globe: Decem...
- Jazz is heading to Staindrop
- Preview: Indigo Jazz Voices @ The Globe: This Thur...
- Change of Venue
- CD Review: Chris Ingham Quartet - Dudley.
- Last of the jam…for this year
- Jambone @ St James’ & St Basil’s Church. Dec 2
- The Italian Job @ The Black Swan November 29
- CD Review: Leandro Cabral Trio - Alfa
- BABMUS return to Jazz Café
- Alter Ego @ Empty Shop, Durham - December 1
- Paul James Band w. Laura Adam 'Sisters of Swing' -...
- Line-Up Revealed For Gateshead International Jazz ...
- Sage Gateshead: Sisters of Swing, Barber and Major...
- CD Review: Andrea Claburn - Nightshade
- ▼ December ( 23 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)