Bebop Spoken There
Bud Powell: "See this? [plays piano run] A'int no horn player in the world can outrun a piano player." - (Album notes from 'The Complete Bud Powell on Verve').
Colin Towns: "We try and keep it solid but safe, if you know what I mean. We'd like to open the doors and let more people in" – (Jazz Review November 2001).
Tuesday June 28
- Pat McMahon Trio @ The Tyne Bar. June 26
- Preview: NYJO @ Darlington
- Farewell Sharon
- Kenny G @ Sage Gateshead - June 26
- Blaydon News
- Sue Richardson: 'Too Cool' - The Life and Music of...
- Harry Rabinowitz (March 26, 1916 - June 22, 2016)
- CD Review: Ron Stabinsky - Free For One.
- Bradley Johnston's First Class!
- Federation of the Disco Pimp w. Pee Wee Ellis @ Ho...
- Situation Vacant. Manager required for the Globe.
- James Birkett & Bradley Johnston @ The Lit & Phil....
- CD Review: Mike Jones Trio - Roaring.
- CD Review: LaVon Hardison - Come Together.
- Val Wiseman swings for the National Jazz Archive!
- George Benson @ Sage, Gateshead - June 21.
- CD Review: Miroslav Vitous – Music of Weather Rep...
- CD Review: Redemption - Sands of Time.
- Evening Chronicle Pays Tribute to Sharon
- Sir Charles Thompson (March 21, 1918 - June 16, 20...
- Jazz Café Jam Session - June 21
- CD Review: James Morton - The Kid
- Alice Grace Quintet @ The Black Bull. June 19
- Benet McLean: The Bopped and the Bopless CD launc...
- Early Bird Band @ The Lit & Phil, Newcastle - June...
- Strictly Smokin' Big Band @ Hoochie Coochie - June...
- Clare Teal Celebrates Doris Day @ Theatre Royal Yo...
- CD Review: Dave Hosley - Love For Sale
- Is this the ultimate North East Jazz Supergroup? -...
- Alice Grace Quartet @ The Empty Shop, Durham - Jun...
- Talkin' 'Bout Super Groups - Alter Ego @ The Globe...
- Durham University Big Band @ Dunelm House. June 17...
- Swing Manouche @ Gala Theatre, Durham. June 17.
- A Tyne Valley Summer-ish Concert @ The Phoenix, He...
- RIP Sharon Tenniswood Isaacs
- CD Review: Alchemy Sound Project - Further Explora...
- CD Review: Mac Gollehon & The Hispanic Mechanics
- CD Review: Clare Teal w. The Hallé Orchestra - Twe...
- CD Review: Pete Hurt Jazz Orchestra - A New Start
- Ian Shaw & the Theory of Joy Trio @ Sage Gateshead...
- Doug Raney (August 29, 1956 - May 1, 2016).
- Alice Grace and Peter Gilligan Trio @ The Cherry T...
- Dominic J Marshall Trio @ The Jazz Café. June 14
- This Friday (June 17) at the Jazz Café - The In/Ou...
- CD Review: June Garber - This I Know
- Preview: Clare Teal and her Trio Celebrate Doris D...
- Tomorrow night @ The Jazz Café - June 14.
- Jazz Co-op @ The Globe: Indigo Jazz Voices: Previe...
- Ruth Lambert Trio/Sue Ferris Quartet @ Bridge Hote...
- CD Review: Michika Fukumori - Quality Time
- Northern Monkey Brass Band
- When Charlie Met Sonny: Mark Toomey/Lewis Watson Q...
- CD Review: Kris Allen - BELOVED
- The Riviera Quartet @ The Globe. June 9
- Miles Davis and Me by Edward Allan Faine
- Ian Shaw on The Theory of Joy
- CD Review: Jason 'El Rubio' McGuire - Terceto Kali...
- CD Review: Naftule’s Dream – Blood
- Jazz Café Jam Session - June 7
- Preview: A St Mary’s Jazz Soirée
- Raymond MacDonald & Gunter ‘Baby’ Sommer @ The Bri...
- Groove-a-matics @ The Tyne Bar. June 5
- Smokin’ Spitfires @ The Cluny. June 5
- CD Review: Beat This: The Lawnmowers Theatre Compa...
- LP/Digital Review: Harry Beckett - Still Happy.
- The Safe Sextet (-1) @ The Jazz Co-op. June 4
- When Bix met Louis
- Lonnie Liston Smith Band @ Hoochie Coochie - June ...
- Preview - This Saturday (Tonight - June 4) @ Hooch...
- CD Review: Jocelyn Michelle - Time to Play
- Blaydon Update
- Eales found in Empty Shop
- Gerry Richardson's Big Idea @ The Jazz Café. June ...
- CD Review: Ben Crosland Quintet - The Ray Davies S...
- Battersea Rain Dance Revisited
- CD Review: Zoe Rahman – Dreamland
- CD Review: John Martin – The Hidden Notes - Spirit...
- Jazz North East/Schmazz - Olie Brice Quintet @ Jaz...
- Friday (June 3) Gig Cancelled at Jazz Café.
- More Artists Announced For SummerTyne Americana Fe...
- ▼ June ( 81 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Posting a Comment
Posting a comment.
1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).
2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.
3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).
4) Click on Publish your comment..
5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.
Alternatively, email me - firstname.lastname@example.org.