Bebop Spoken There

John McLaughlin: ''It was then that Coltrane came along and single-handedly brought this dimension of spirituality into jazz. It was a pivotal experience to me.'' (DownBeat September, 2026)

The Things They Say!

This is a good opportunity to say thanks to BSH for their support of the jazz scene in the North East (and beyond) - it's no exaggeration to say that if it wasn't for them many, many fine musicians, bands and projects across a huge cross section of jazz wouldn't be getting reviewed at all, because we're in the "desolate"(!) North. (M & SSBB on F/book 23/12/24)

Postage

18957 (and counting) posts since we started blogging 18 years ago. 821 of them this year alone and, so far this month (Sept. 30.) 100.

Reviewers wanted

Whilst BSH attempts to cover as many gigs, festivals and albums as possible, to make the site even more comprehensive we need more 'boots on the ground' to cover the albums seeking review - a large percentage of which never get heard - report on gigs or just to air your views on anything jazz related. Interested? then please get in touch. Contact details are on the blog. Look forward to hearing from you. Lance

From This Moment On

October.

Tue 06: Alan Law @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 2:00pm. Free. Alan Law (piano) w. Paul Grainger (double bass).
Tue 06: Jam session @ The Black Swan, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free. House trio: Murray Oak, Paul Grainger, John Bradford.
Tue 06: Customs House Big Band @ The Masonic Hall, Ferryhill. 7:30pm. Free.
Tue 06: Black is the Color of My Voice @ Northern Stage, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Apphia Campbell’s one-woman stage play inspired by Nina Simone. First night of two.

Wed 07: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free. Wed 07: Darlington Big Band @ Darlington & Simpson Rolling Mills Social Club, Darlington. 7:00pm. Free. Rehearsal session (open to the public).
Wed 07: Take it to the Bridge @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free.
Wed 07: Black is the Color of My Voice @ Northern Stage, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Apphia Campbell’s one-woman stage play inspired by Nina Simone. Second night of two.

Thu 08: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ The Millstone, Mill Rise, South Gosforth, Newcastle. 1:00pm. Free.
Thu 08: Pete Tanton’s Chet Set @ Newcastle Arts Centre. 7:30pm. Free (donations).
Thu 08: Indigo Jazz Voices w. Little Big Band @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:45pm. £5.00.

Fri 09: Dean Stockdale Trio @ Bishop Auckland Methodist Church. 1:00pm. £9.00. Dean Stockdale (piano); Mick Shoulder (double bass); John Bradford (drums).
Fri 09: John Rowland Trio @ Jesmond Library, Newcastle. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Classic Swing @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: Rendezvous Jazz @ The Monkseaton Arms. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: New Orleans Preservation Jazz Band @ The Oxbridge Hotel, Stockton. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Shalala @ The Globe, Newcastle.

Sat 10: Catfish Keith @ Cluny 2, Newcastle. 7:30pm (doors). £19.00. + bf. Jumpin’ Hot Club.

Sun 11: Am Jam @ The Globe, Newcastle. 2:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Michael Young Trio @ The Engine Room, Sunderland. 2:30pm. Free. Feat. guest Jack ‘Banjo’ Courtney (trumpet).
Sun 11: 4B @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 3:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Harry Christelis Quartet @ The Globe, Newcastle. 8:00pm. A Jazz Co-op-JNE co-promotion.

Mon 12: Jack Pearce Quintet @ Yamaha Music School, Blyth. 1:00pm.
Mon 12: Friends of Jazz @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.

Thursday, July 09, 2020

To 33 or not to 33? That is the question

The April edition of JazzTimes which I've belatedly got around to reading cover to cover rather the peripheral glance I initially gave it includes an interesting article on the pros and cons of digital v analogue/CD v LP etc. which I know some of our contributors feel strongly about.

This got me to thinking about where I stood in this debate and, to tell you the truth, I don't know!


When I first started listening to music it was via 78rpm single shellac records on a wind-up gramophone. There was lots of surface noise and, as I'd frequently bought them second hand, often much worse! But, did this deter me from the enjoyment? It didn't, I knew no different. Likewise, I'd also listen to jazz on the radio via some obscure continental station or the American Forces Network (AFN) station broadcast from Munich. Again, against all odds and despite the atmospherics, the music shone through.

I remember reading a novel, I can't remember the author - it may have been Peter de Polnay but probably wasn't. In the book, a couple are listening to a very average performance by, I'm guessing, an out of tune violinist playing a well-known concerto. The woman says, "Isn't that dreadful?" To which the man replies, "No, irrespective of the performance, I only hear what it should sound like." Those may not have been the exact words but I can relate them to the present day.

When stereo came along, I recall a salesman coming into the music shop where I worked with a demo record in which a bowling ball could be heard rolling from one side of the room to the other. We all gasped in awe although, with the odd exception, when applied to music I remained quite happy with mono recordings.

I was also quite happy with LPs until CDs came along and, suddenly, the long player with its beautiful artwork and easy to read sleeve notes became passé - file alongside piano rolls and cylinders.

The way things are going, CDs will soon be joining them as streaming and downloading become the norm. And yet, we now hear that cassette tapes are making a comeback and a recent Lockjaw and Johnny Griffin recording has been dished up on reel to reel so who knows?

Let's hear your views.
Lance

1 comment :

Ann Alex said...

I'm all for CDs for most listening as I sometimes can't manage streaming, but each mode has good points. You can pinpoint the exact place to replay something on an old fashioned cassette but you have to go to the whole track on a CD. Vinyl is somehow more 'immediate' and the artwork is appealing. I can understand people hearing music 'as it should be' on an imperfect recording. After all, how did Beethoven compose after he became deaf? He must have heard the music in his head.

Blog Archive