Bebop Spoken There

John McLaughlin: ''It was then that Coltrane came along and single-handedly brought this dimension of spirituality into jazz. It was a pivotal experience to me.'' (DownBeat September, 2026)

The Things They Say!

This is a good opportunity to say thanks to BSH for their support of the jazz scene in the North East (and beyond) - it's no exaggeration to say that if it wasn't for them many, many fine musicians, bands and projects across a huge cross section of jazz wouldn't be getting reviewed at all, because we're in the "desolate"(!) North. (M & SSBB on F/book 23/12/24)

Postage

18957 (and counting) posts since we started blogging 18 years ago. 821 of them this year alone and, so far this month (Sept. 30.) 100.

Reviewers wanted

Whilst BSH attempts to cover as many gigs, festivals and albums as possible, to make the site even more comprehensive we need more 'boots on the ground' to cover the albums seeking review - a large percentage of which never get heard - report on gigs or just to air your views on anything jazz related. Interested? then please get in touch. Contact details are on the blog. Look forward to hearing from you. Lance

From This Moment On

October.

Mon 05: Friends of Jazz @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Mon 05: Saltburn Big Band @ Saltburn House Hotel. 7:00-9:00pm. Free. Rehearsal session (open to the public).

Tue 06: Alan Law @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 2:00pm. Free. Alan Law (piano) w. Paul Grainger (double bass).
Tue 06: Jam session @ The Black Swan, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free. House trio: Murray Oak, Paul Grainger, John Bradford.
Tue 06: Customs House Big Band @ The Masonic Hall, Ferryhill. 7:30pm. Free.
Tue 06: Black is the Color of My Voice @ Northern Stage, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Apphia Campbell’s one-woman stage play inspired by Nina Simone. First night of two.

Wed 07: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free. Wed 07: Darlington Big Band @ Darlington & Simpson Rolling Mills Social Club, Darlington. 7:00pm. Free. Rehearsal session (open to the public).
Wed 07: Take it to the Bridge @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free.
Wed 07: Black is the Color of My Voice @ Northern Stage, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Apphia Campbell’s one-woman stage play inspired by Nina Simone. Second night of two.

Thu 08: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ The Millstone, Mill Rise, South Gosforth, Newcastle. 1:00pm. Free.
Thu 08: Pete Tanton’s Chet Set @ Newcastle Arts Centre. 7:30pm. Free (donations).
Thu 08: Indigo Jazz Voices w. Little Big Band @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:45pm. £5.00.

Fri 09: Dean Stockdale Trio @ Bishop Auckland Methodist Church. 1:00pm. £9.00. Dean Stockdale (piano); Mick Shoulder (double bass); John Bradford (drums).
Fri 09: John Rowland Trio @ Jesmond Library, Newcastle. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Classic Swing @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: Rendezvous Jazz @ The Monkseaton Arms. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: New Orleans Preservation Jazz Band @ The Oxbridge Hotel, Stockton. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Shalala @ The Globe, Newcastle.

Sat 10: Catfish Keith @ Cluny 2, Newcastle. 7:30pm (doors). £19.00. + bf. Jumpin’ Hot Club.

Sun 11: Am Jam @ The Globe, Newcastle. 2:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Michael Young Trio @ The Engine Room, Sunderland. 2:30pm. Free. Feat. guest Jack ‘Banjo’ Courtney (trumpet).
Sun 11: 4B @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 3:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Harry Christelis Quartet @ The Globe, Newcastle. 8:00pm. A Jazz Co-op-JNE co-promotion.

Monday, May 02, 2016

Where Has Ann Alex Got To?

Readers may have missed me [that's me between Sarah Travena and Ian Shaw - Claire Kelly far right] from BSH in recent weeks (or not?) so I thought I’d better explain my absence. I’ve been struck down with what one doctor called an ‘Angry Gallstone’ and I’ve spent a week in hospital, to which I’m returning within the month, for removal of my gall bladder.  This meant that I missed the GIJF and also loads of good things at the Globe. 
However I’ve managed to keep Body And Soul together and I Ain’t Misbehavin’, as I eat very low fat just now. All of Me occasionally aches, so I Don’t Get Around Much Any More, and each morning I say to myself Lady Be Good. It’s not a bad as having a Fever. I’d go out more but we’ve had some Stormy Weather lately. I’m looking  forward to the time after the operation when there’ll be No More Blues and I’ll declare that  It’s Alright With Me.
Amazing what you can do with song titles. I’d love other readers to come up with even better examples.
Ann Alex

9 comments :

The LondonJazz site said...

Straighten Up and Fly Right. All the best for a speedy and complete recovery. Seb

Lance said...

I bumped into "My Old Flame" "On the Street Where You Live". I asked her, "What's New?" She said, "I'm Getting Married in the Morning". I said, "Congratulations" then decided I must "Take the A Train". I got off at Lonely St. and headed for "Heartbreak Hotel"

Liz said...

After your operation, it'll be "So nice to come home to , so nice by the fire"...

Anonymous said...

From Ann Alex, Thanks so much Seb for the good wishes. I love that song title, I suppose it comes from WW2, a message to pilots. And Lance, I hope that's not the story of your life!

Anonymous said...

I think Straighten Up and Fly Right is about kicking the habit!

Facebook comments said...

Jude Murphy Get well soon, Ann x
Like · Reply · 11 hrs
Emma Fisk
Emma Fisk Hope you'll be back on The Sunny Side of the Street very soon Ann!x
Like · Reply · 10 hrs
Patti Durham
Patti Durham Oh yes ..... and Let the Sunshine In - tomorrow, anyway. You'll soon be Bouncing Around! xx
Like · Reply · 10 hrs
Eric Mckenzie Stutt
Eric Mckenzie Stutt Chin up Chuck!! x
Like · Reply · 10 hrs
Mary Bollands
Mary Bollands · Friends with Kath Jobes and 2 others
Sorry to hear that Ann. You must have been Bewitched,bothered and bewildered! Get well soon xx
Like · Reply · 9 hrs
CiCi Sparks
CiCi Sparks Get well soon Ann. But you know that Sarah Travena not Claire Martin right? Unless you're referring to me then I WISH I was Claire Martin haha. Sending healing vibes.
Like · Reply · 2 hrs
Lance Liddle
Lance Liddle That was my fault - I should have went to Specsavers!
Like · Reply · Just now

Liz said...

Ann as "Spring will be a little late this year," when you get back home it's sure to be "Summertime"

Anonymous said...

From Ann Alex. Thanks to all of you for the good wishes and the fun of the song titles!

Russell said...

Are you going to St James Infirmary? It could be The Last Dance, one thing is for sure, There’ll Never Be Another You (phew!). On your return to the folk/jazz scene you could quote Oscar Brown Jnr - Excuse Me For Livin’ and suggest Somebody Buy Me a Drink. That’s assuming it isn’t a case of After You’ve Gone!

Blog Archive