I too was there and I hated it! At that stage of my lifetime journey into jazz Bird and Dizzy were about as far as I'd got. Fortunately the Dizzy Gillespie Quintet were top of the bill so at least I left without demanding my money back!
Interestingly, Priestly points out that whilst the national critics in the Mail, Express and Telegraph were For Coltrane, Benny Green in the Observer was against him.Now here's the rub, Green actually wrote the programme notes! However, he chose his words carefully both to avoid offence and, no doubt, to ensure he got paid.
Of course, in retrospect, now I'd mortgage the house to see Trane, Dolphy, McCoy, Workman and Elvin Jones at the City Hall if Tardis Travel could transport me back to that day nearly 65 years ago... Lance
P.S. Were YOU at the concert? Your thoughts please.


No comments :
Post a Comment