Hi Lance, cast your mind back to 1988 and the Newcastle Jazz Festival. I'm sure you probably attended it. One of the shows was a concert called Woody's Winners with Ray Chester's big band. We played a full programme of Woody Herman arrangements. Here are a couple of links with more details. https://jimsgarage007.weebly.com/newcastle-jazz-fest.html
I would love to hear the recording. I remember the saxophone section was Matty Hutchinson (lead alto/clarinet)/ Bill Smith (tenor/alto); Syd Warren (1st tenor); Mark Toomey (tenor); Stan Coates (baritone). I, Mark Toomey, am the only surviving member of the section!
I'm presuming that Ray Chester would have had a copy of the concert on tape so I'm looking to contact any of his relatives who would have, presumably, inherited his collection. Failing this, the concert would have been broadcast on the radio, did anyone tape it? Also, the long shot is that Metro Radio, now called Hits Radio North East has the tapes in there archives. Could you, or anyone else, help in any way please? Thank you, Mark Toomey
No comments :
Post a Comment