| © Patti |
The gig was billed as by the Edson Angus Quartet but I only counted three players so it begun as a trio and finished as a trio. When David Gray turned up during the interval I thought he might be the missing link but no, he was just passing through. Still it was a stellar performance by the trio, with all hands to the pump to contain the fire being ignited in the performance area.
I'd heard Bingham and Watkins in various settings but Angus was a new name to me - a one to remember. Watkins I only remembered as an electric bassist but he proved equally adept and agile on the larger instrument. He soloed at great length sometimes at too great a length. However, what he was putting down was always interesting and relevant.
![]() |
| © Patti |
Leader Angus was a veritable powerhouse behind the kit. Such was his dynamic attack that sometimes it was hard to tell whether he was soloing or pushing his henchmen to the limit - my kind of drumming.
The material was a well-balanced mix of GASbook gems, bebop classics and Angus' own compositions. All killers! I went out of curiosity and left with a virtual spring to my step. Catch them if/when you can. Lance
Solar; Body and Soul; Elements*; On Green Dolphin Street; Maiden Voyage; Oleo; Wave; My Foolish Heart; Hopscotch*; ?*; Sarah*; After You've Gone; ?*; Rhythm-a-Ning; Days of Wine and Roses; Saint Octopus*
*Original by Edson Angus.

No comments :
Post a Comment