Total Pageviews

Bebop Spoken There

Ambrose Akinmusire: “ I am certainly always aware of what the masses are doing. And when I see too many people going one way, I'm going another way - even when I don't know what's over that way". DownBeat, March, 2024.

The Things They Say!

Hudson Music: Lance's "Bebop Spoken Here" is one of the heaviest and most influential jazz blogs in the UK.

Rupert Burley (Dynamic Agency): "BSH just goes from strength to strength".

'606' Club: "A toast to Lance Liddle of the terrific jazz blog 'Bebop Spoken Here'"

The Strictly Smokin' Big Band included Be Bop Spoken Here (sic) in their 5 Favourite Jazz Blogs.

Ann Braithwaite (Braithwaite & Katz Communications) You’re the BEST!

Holly Cooper, Mouthpiece Music: "Lance writes pull quotes like no one else!"

Simon Spillett: A lovely review from the dean of jazz bloggers, Lance Liddle...

Josh Weir: I love the writing on bebop spoken here... I think the work you are doing is amazing.

Postage

16287 (and counting) posts since we started blogging 16 years ago. 169 of them this year alone and, so far, 41 this month (Mar 18).

From This Moment On ...

March

Tue 19: Jam session @ The Black Swan, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free. House trio: Michael Young, Paul Grainger, Tim Johnston.

Wed 20: Vieux Carré Jazzmen @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Wed 20: Darlington Big Band @ Darlington & Simpson Rolling Mills Social Club, Darlington. 7:00pm. Free. Rehearsal session (open to the public).
Wed 20: Take it to the Bridge @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free.

Thu 21: Vieux Carré Jazzmen @ The Holystone, Whitley Road, North Tyneside. 1:00pm. Free.
Thu 21: Castillo Neuvo Trio + Conor Emery & His ‘Bones Band @ The Grove, Ouseburn, Newcastle. 7:30pm (7:00pm doors). £10.00. (£7.00. student).
Thu 21: Remi Banklyn + Chris Corcoran Trio @ The Globe, Newcastle. 8:00pm. £12.50. Chicago blues. An International Guitar Foundation promotion.
Thu 21: Merlin Roxby @ Prohibition Bar, Newcastle. 8:00pm. A ‘Jar on the Bar’ gig. Ragtime piano.
Thu 21: Tees Hot Club @ Dorman’s Club, Middlesbrough. 8:30pm.

Fri 22: Vasilis Xenopoulos & Paul Edis @ The Gala, Durham. 1:00pm. £8.00. SOLD OUT!
Fri 22: Classic Swing @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 22: Rendezvous Jazz @ The Monkseaton Arms. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 22: New Orleans Preservation Jazz Band @ The Oxbridge Hotel, Stockton. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 22: Nauta + Remy CB + Last Orders @ Hoochie Coochie, Newcastle. 8:30pm (7:30pm doors). Free.
Fri 22: Vasilis Xenopoulos-Paul Edis Quartet @ Traveller’s Rest, Darlington. 8:00pm. £15.00. Opus 4 Jazz Club.
Fri 22: Redwell @ Prohibition Bar, Newcastle. 8:00pm. A ‘Jar on the Bar’ gig.

Sat 23: Jambone @ The Glasshouse, Gateshead. 6:30pm. Free (ticketed). End of term performance in the Northern Rock Foundation Hall.
Sat 23: Milne-Glendinning Band @ The Vault, Darlington. 7:00pm. Free.
Sat 23: Red Kites Jazz @ Rowlands Gill Community Centre NE39 1JB. 7:00pm. Tickets: £12.00. (gibsidecommunityfarm@gmail.com). A ‘Build a Barn’ fundraiser. BYOB, tea/coffee available.
Sat 23: New Century Ragtime Orchestra @ Gosforth Civic Theatre, Newcastle. 7:30pm. £20.00. + bf (book in person at venue - no booking fee!). Featuring pianist Martin Litton.
Sat 23: Pete Tanton’s Cuba Libre @ Prohibition Bar, Newcastle. 8:00pm. A ‘Jar on the Bar’ gig.

Sun 24: Musicians Unlimited @ Park Inn, Hartlepool. 1:00pm. Free.
Sun 24: More Jam @ The Globe, Newcastle. 2:30pm. Free.
Sun 24: Luis Verde @ Queen’s Hall, Hexham. 3:00pm. Verde (alto sax); Joe Steels (guitar); John Pope (double bass); John Hirst (drums). Alto sax brilliance!
Sun 24: Elsie Franklin @ The Globe, Newcastle. 3:00pm. £10.00. Country blues. An International Guitar Foundation promotion.
Sun 24: 4B @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay Metro Station. 3:00pm. Free.
Sun 24: Las Vegas Live with the Rat Pack @ The Forum, Billingham.
Sun 24: Ian Millar & Dominic Spencer @ Otterburn Memorial Hall. 7:30pm. £12.00.
Sun 24: Lindsay Hannon: Tom Waits for No Man @ Prohibition Bar, Newcastle. 7:00pm. A ‘Jar on the Bar’ gig. Note start time - 7:00pm.
Sun 24: Bold Big Band @ The Globe, Newcastle. 8:00pm.

Mon 25: Harmony Brass @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Mon 25: Michael Young Trio @ The Engine Room, Sunderland. 6:30pm. Free.

Thursday, September 01, 2016

RIP Bill Shaw.. Update, funeral details added.


Received the devastating news that my dear friend, drummer, artist, cartoonist Bill Shaw (pictured on the left of the photo with myself) died Monday night (August 29) after a heart attack.
I played in many small bands with him in clubs, pubs and dance halls. Bill also played in Newcastle Big Band, The River City Jazzmen and, in more recent years, frequently depped with the Vieux Carré Jazzmen.

A fine drummer and an equally good cartoonist who's work often appeared in the Daily Mirror back in the days when the Mirror had a full page of cartoons. Bill also had a cartoon strip entitled 'The Club' that ran for a while in the Evening Chronicle, and, of course, his humour frequently turned up on Bebop Spoken Here as witnessed below.
He was really a very special friend who will be sadly missed by all who knew him.
Condolences and deepest sympathy to his wife Mary and his two daughters Lynn and Maxine.
Rest In Peace dear friend.
Funeral details later.
More Bill Shaw cartoons.
Lance.
PS: He was also my second cousin.
The funeral will take place at South Tyneside Crematorium, John Reid Rd., South Shields at 12:30pm  on Thursday September 8. Family flowers only with donations to Cancer Research and/or British Heart Foundation invited. Those intent on attending please note there are currently long delays due to roadworks at the Lindisfarne roundabout and it is advised to set out extra early or find an alternative route.
There will be a wake afterwards at the Wardley Hotel, Bill Quay.

13 comments :

Ann Alex said...

I've just read about Bill Shaw on the blog and I'm shocked. I remember the many conversations we had with him and Mary in that pub in Shields market place a few years back. He was a talented man, and I laughed out loud at the cartoon with the article today. I remember you two arguing about who was the best jazz drummer. Very sad.

Liz said...

sorry for your loss Lance.

George Watt said...

That's terrible Lance. He was someone everybody liked and I know he was special to you. Please keep me informed as I want to pay my respects and attend his funeral, May I offer my condolences as I am sure you and Bill had been very good friends throughout life.

Andy Hudson said...

Of the drummers who played regularly in the Newcastle Big Band. Bill was the one with the delicate touch. (Well! The others were Jackie Denton, Don Eddy, Ian Forbes and Ronnie Pearson).

It’s many years since I’ve seen Bill, but his reliable, helpful manner, solid drumming and sparkling wit, verbally and of course as “SHAW”, the cartoonist, remain as fond memories. RIP Bill.

Graham Schofield said...

I first met bill 50 years ago, a robust confidant man of 27 with laughter lines around the eyes. He was a very charismatic character, a "one off" and about as non-conformist as any human being could get, but was not trendy hipster.
His sense of humour was devastating - no repeated one liners just genuine wit from playful to scathing, ironic to sardonic, empathetic to sarcastic.
I hadn't seen Bill for over 20 years and feel a little guilt at that now he's gone, but still many great memories of the old days which I wouldn't have missed for the world.
My condolences to all who were close to him in these later years.

Graham Schofield

SolarInEllicot said...

I haven't seen Bill since some time before I left the UK for the U.S.A. The education I received from Bill, Charlie Carmichael, Lance, and my brother Graham on Wednesday afternoons in the Kelly was quite different but in many ways superior to the one I got from Sunderland Poly on the other days of the week. Bill's passing also makes me feel guilty over several great guys I have neglected to keep in touch with since leaving the UK.
RIP Bill.
Geoff Schofield

Lance said...

Yes Ann, those were happy afternoons in Rosie's listening to the Maine Street Jazzmen. I too remember the friendly argument re drummers. Bill plumped for Buddy Rich whilst I supported Art Blakey.
Strangely, the first time I heard Bill play I thought of Shelly Manne and there weren't any other drummers in Hebburn who played like Shelly Manne!

Lance said...

Bill played alongside organist,pianist, Kenny Goodall at South Shields Catholic Club a number of years back. They were a great duo. I've just read in tonight's Gazette that Kenny died on the same day as Bill - his funeral is an hour and a half later (2pm). Like Bill, a fine musician. RIP Kenny.

Lynn Bell (on F/b) said...

My Dad, my hero x

Lynn said...

Thanks to Lance for showing me how to add my comments here. As Bill's eldest daughter, I simply wanted to say how lovely it is to read the comments about my Dad and to read just some of what people thought of him. Maxine, my sister and I, have never been under any illusion about how brilliant Dad is - in fact, I think we were each in awe of him, his intelligence and creativity but we were so very proud to be his daughters. He's brought much to our lives and taught us to, 'walk to the beat of our own drum' - which is one of the most important lessons we could ever have. Dad was unique. Luckily, he had Mary to keep him 'steady' and 'inspired' - and we had his brilliance to add layers of colour and interest to our lives. We're all devastated to have lost him so suddenly but so touched to read that so many people who knew him, held him in such high esteem. Our love and thoughts are with Mary x

Neilsound said...

Bill was my art teacher at school and we developed a life long friendship, we were both musicians also, I play keyboards, Bill seemed to apply his artistic creativity to problem solving in general and I always found him a very wise adviser, I personally find this news very devastating, but knowing Bill he would would want us to be happy and get as much out of each day, sieze the moment, Deepest Condolences to Mary and the family, God Bless Bill RIP

Christian said...

I know this is very late: Bill would have told me off for this. I wanted to play the drums from being a little kid after seeing The Muppets. I told this to my cousin's then partner. I was 15 and he told me to go see a friend of his and he'd show me a little. This was Bill!!!!

He got me into jazz playing the drums and art. Bill has had a massive impact on my life and still does to this day. I remember the paintings of his in his front room and he asked me what do you think? I didn't know what to say so I looked and all I could think was shit that one is scary! So I told him that, he said well it's done its job. He taught me that art is something to make you feel no matter what the feeling. I still use all his teachings from the drums now as I play in a local rock band(I play jazz patterns all the time they hate it). Always in my thoughts Bill: Christian x

Alf Symington said...

I know it's late for my comment, but I have just heard of Bill's passing - I and my family moved up to Newcastle in 1980 but we lived in Washington. I first met Bill at the Stella Maris Club in Washington, this would be my first residency playing the organ alongside Bill on drums. We seemed to hit it off straight away, as a pro musician most days I would have nothing much to do, so Bill suggested we take up Badminton; I got beat every game-it seems everything he put his hand to was out of the box. Due to the music game once in a while, you get other gigs/residencies and so the duo split up. we did keep in touch, but as time passes you lose contact which it did for us. After reading Lance's blog this is how I learned the sad news of Bill. I know it's been a long time since I saw Bill but things spring to mind and would bring a smile. My belated condolences to his family and all who knew him.

Blog Archive