Bebop Spoken There
“Being from the northeast can put up a few hurdles, but we have a good scene up here with some great players and I'm proud to be part of that and show what the northeast has to offer" - Zoe Gilby (Jazz UK Dec/Jan 2014).
Jazz North East Crowd Funding Appeal.
Today Wednesday December 11
Sitters in welcome.
RAE BROS. NEW ORLEANS JAZZ BAND - Springwell Village Hall, Fell Rd., Gateshead NE9 7RP. 0191 4162630. 9pm.
Classic New Orleans.
JAZZ ESQUIRES -Black Horse, 68 Front St, Monkseaton, Whitley Bay, Tyne and Wear NE25 8DPPhone:0191 253 69311pm. Free.
VIEUX CARRE JAZZMEN -Crescent Club, 1 Hudleston, Cullercoats NE30 3OS. 1pm. Free.
New Orleans Jazz. Raffles and a jolly afternoon.
JAZZ AT THE BAY- Cleveland Bay pub, 718 Yarm Rd., Eaglescliffe, TS16 0JE 01642 780275. 9pm.
The Teesside Hot Club swinging at the Bay.
Wednesday, October 31, 2012
(Review by Russell).
Tuesday, October 30, 2012
Monday, October 29, 2012
Gateshead International Jazz Festival 2012's Ayanna returns to The Sage Gateshead Tuesday November 6, 2012
(Review by Lance.)
Well, with the help of the Metro and the number 309 - and, of course, that Good Old Wagon the number 27 for the final leg of the return trip I made it.
Sunday, October 28, 2012
Saturday, October 27, 2012
(Review by Lance.)
Friday, October 26, 2012
Thursday, October 25, 2012
Chinese food and jazz have always been a great duo and with Daryl Sherman on the bill, the combo is a perfect match. Not only does she pick great musicians and songs, but no one knows how to order (and consume) Chinese food like Daryl Sherman! Join in on the fun ....an easy Midtown Direct train ride from Manhattan or easy to reach by car...
24 Main Street, Madison, NJ
PS: Russell has just reminded me that Daryl is appearing at next year's Whitley Bay Classic Jazz Party.
Wednesday, October 24, 2012
Nationwide search for best unsigned Blues Musicians chooses Redcar for North East heat - musicians from across the country urged to enter now!!
A cross-section compilation taken from 30 years of recordings by the Westbrook Trio.
Westbrook Trio - Three Into Wonderful - Release date October 29, 2012.
Tuesday, October 23, 2012
Monday, October 22, 2012
Sunday, October 21, 2012
A couple of weeks ago I send out a preliminary notice about a public meeting on the future of jazz provision in the North East. That meeting is now imminent, and I cannot stress strongly enough how important this could be to maintaining, indeed improving, a vibrant jazz scene in the region . . . I urge everybody who has an interest in jazz, whether as musician, promoter, educator, student or audience member, to get along - even if you don't feel able to contribute to discussion, your very presence at the meeting will help show how strongly we all feel about the music we love.
Saturday, October 20, 2012
Friday, October 19, 2012
The Sage Gateshead’s intimate four hundred capacity Hall Two hosted the opening concert of this year’s International Guitar Festival. Hot Club specialists Djangologie could not have wished for a better platform on which to launch their new CD. Djangologists, students of the guitar and other discerning concert goers heard classic material and a few numbers in the idiom composed by bassist Mick Shoulder.
Thursday, October 18, 2012
(Review by Lance.)
(Review by Lance)
Wednesday, October 17, 2012
See also LondonJazz
Photo supplied by Colin Aitchison.
(Review by Lance.).
Tuesday, October 16, 2012
Monday, October 15, 2012
Sunday, October 14, 2012
Saturday, October 13, 2012
The Lit & Phil’s commitment to presenting jazz gigs shows no signs of abating. Twenty four hours after Swiss pianist Christoph Stiefel wowed the audience in the Loftus Room it was the turn of
And that restriction, jazzers, is one of the rules about playing Indian ragas, as I learned when attending the lecture about South Asian music, at the Sage on Tuesday this week, given by Prof. David Clarke of
Friday, October 12, 2012
(Review by Lance).
Yes, Lewis this is sad news indeed. I remember well the Sneck sessions at the Corner House with Colin on alto and you on tenor and soprano blowing some great stuff. I would hazard a guess that Sneck was the first young modern band to make an impact on the local scene in the late 1970's/early '80's.
Thoughts are with you and Colin's closest.
Thursday, October 11, 2012
Wednesday, October 10, 2012
Tuesday, October 09, 2012
Warner Jazz present the first ever comprehensive two-disc collection of the renowned American saxophonist David Sanborn. ‘Then Again’ - The Anthology spans 20 years of his illustrious career at both Warner Bros and Elektra Records.
Monday, October 08, 2012
As well as gigs, there will be plenty of opportunities to get involved, whether you are a serious musician, or a toddler wanting to make some sounds. In addition to ticketed events Marsden Jazz Festival features many free concerts, giving festival-goers the chance to experience jazz from traditional to contemporary to experimental. This year, in 48 hours, Marsden expects to host over 8,000 visitors at 78 events in more than 20 indoor and outdoor venues.
Sunday, October 07, 2012
Saturday, October 06, 2012
- ► 2013 ( 1040 )
- Request from Chris Hodgkins of Jazz Services.
- Watson Walker Edis @ The Cluny. October 30
- Moss Project: Short Stories @ Lit & Phil. October ...
- Gateshead International Jazz Festival 2012's Ayann...
- Mark Williams Trio @ The Bridge. October 28
- Whitley Bay Classic Jazz Party - Day 3, Sunday Oct...
- Maine Street Jazzmen Rule in Rochdale.
- The Very "Best" of Jazz Club
- "We'll Make Fun For You" - 2012 Whitley Bay Classi...
- 2012 Whitley Bay Classic Jazz Party - Day One Frid...
- A Gardenia for Lady Day: Cecile Mclorin Salvant Sa...
- Vieux Carré Jazzmen @ The Millstone, South Gosfort...
- John Law Trio @ King’s Hall, Newcastle. October 25...
- Return to Shanghai!! Sunday, October 28, 6- 8:30 p...
- CD REVIEW: All Upon A Lovely Summer’s Day: Burton...
- Nationwide search for best unsigned Blues Musician...
- CD Review (link): Westbrook Trio - Three Into Wond...
- Barclaycard Mercury Prize ‘Album of the Year' TONI...
- Jazz Summit 2012
- The Future of Contemporary Jazz in the North East ...
- Bob Belden Unveils a Dark Narrative of Manhattan ...
- Graeme Wilson Quartet @ The Central Bar, Gateshead...
- Jazz Café Jam. Sunday October 21.
- CD Review:Julian Shore - Filaments.
- Philip Clouts Quartet @ New Hartley Memorial Hall....
- CONTEMPORARY JAZZ IN THE NORTH EAST: WHICH WAY FOR...
- CD Review: The Knoxville Jazz Orchestra - Christma...
- The Jazzman by Kevah Emami.
- CD Review: Skamel
- Blue Notes in Bristol
- I Used to be a .com but now I'm a .co.uk!
- Djangologie @ The Sage. October 18
- Skamel @ Hoochie Coochie
- Everybody say "Aaah!"
- CD Review: The Bad Plus - Made Possible.
- Ronnie Scott and All That Jazz
- Degree Welcome Gig @ The Sage Gateshead. October 1...
- R.I.P. Eddie Harvey.
- CD Review: Accidental Tourists - The L.A. Sessions...
- CD Review: Justin Horn - Hornology.
- Graham Don Trio @ The Cherry Tree
- Sons of Kemet @ The Bridge Hotel. October 14
- Scotland’s National Jazz Orchestra salutes the Duk...
- Northern Monkey Brass Band @ Hoochie Coochie
- Whitley Bay Classic Jazz Party - Village Inn, Shir...
- CD Review: Danny Green - A Thousand Ways Home.
- Sandi Russell @ The Lit & Phil. October 12
- CD Review- Introducing The Verve.
- You can’t play that music tonight, that music belo...
- Christoph Stiefel Inner Language Trio @ Lit & Phil...
- Jammin' @ Hoochie Coochie. Oct.11
- CD Review: Two for The Road Tianna Hall and The ...
- RIP Colin Farrow
- CD Review - Harry Allen & Scott Hamilton: 'Round M...
- Vieux Carré Jazzmen Thursday Update.
- Frank Vignola & Vinny Raniolo @ Customs House. Sou...
- CD Review Jacqui Sutton, Notes From The Frontier...
- Simon Woolf
- CD Review: David Sanborn "Then Again" - The Antho...
- John Tchicai dies
- Marsden (Yorkshire) Jazz Festival This Weekend.
- Spelk @ The Bridge Hotel. October 7.
- CD Review: Kaylé Brecher - Spirals and Lines.
- Ruth Lambert w. Paul Edis Trio @ Ashington Jazz Cl...
- Karen Harding @ Monument. October 6
- Bad Ass Brass Band @ Hoochie Coochie. Oct. 4.
- Trish Clowes’ Nonet @ The Sage. October 5
- Customs House Big Band w. Ruth Lambert @ Customs H...
- The Hawk plays Bop @ Blaydon Jazz Club. Oct.4.
- CD Review: Tom Gibbs - Fear of Flying.
- The Informer
- Seth MacFarlane - The Sadder But Wiser Girl
- Tommaso Starace Quartet Live Streaming at the Blue...
- Trish Cowes Nonet Preview
- RIP Big Jim Sullivan.
- Needs of the Jazz Community
- Christine Tobin plays Leonard Cohen in North Yorks...
- Redemption Jazz @ The Bridge Hotel. September 30
- RIP Eddie Bert
- A Public Meeting JAZZ IN THE NORTH EAST THE WAY FO...
- Dave Kerr suggests this is a book no jazz piani...
- Scarborough Jazz Festival September 30 - Evening
- Scarborough Jazz Festival September 30 - Afternoon...
- Scarborough Jazz Festival September 29 - Evening.
- Scarborough Jazz festival September 29 - Afternoon...
- ▼ October ( 86 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
Posting a Comment
Posting a comment.
1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).
2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.
3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).
4) Click on PUBLISH YOUR COMMENT.
5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.
Alternatively, email me - firstname.lastname@example.org.
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Contact: email@example.com I look forward to hearing from you.