Bebop Spoken There

John McLaughlin: ''It was then that Coltrane came along and single-handedly brought this dimension of spirituality into jazz. It was a pivotal experience to me.'' (DownBeat September, 2026)

The Things They Say!

This is a good opportunity to say thanks to BSH for their support of the jazz scene in the North East (and beyond) - it's no exaggeration to say that if it wasn't for them many, many fine musicians, bands and projects across a huge cross section of jazz wouldn't be getting reviewed at all, because we're in the "desolate"(!) North. (M & SSBB on F/book 23/12/24)

Postage

18957 (and counting) posts since we started blogging 18 years ago. 821 of them this year alone and, so far this month (Sept. 30.) 100.

Reviewers wanted

Whilst BSH attempts to cover as many gigs, festivals and albums as possible, to make the site even more comprehensive we need more 'boots on the ground' to cover the albums seeking review - a large percentage of which never get heard - report on gigs or just to air your views on anything jazz related. Interested? then please get in touch. Contact details are on the blog. Look forward to hearing from you. Lance

From This Moment On

October.

Tue 06: Alan Law @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 2:00pm. Free. Alan Law (piano) w. Paul Grainger (double bass).
Tue 06: Jam session @ The Black Swan, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free. House trio: Murray Oak, Paul Grainger, John Bradford.
Tue 06: Customs House Big Band @ The Masonic Hall, Ferryhill. 7:30pm. Free.
Tue 06: Black is the Color of My Voice @ Northern Stage, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Apphia Campbell’s one-woman stage play inspired by Nina Simone. First night of two.

Wed 07: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free. Wed 07: Darlington Big Band @ Darlington & Simpson Rolling Mills Social Club, Darlington. 7:00pm. Free. Rehearsal session (open to the public).
Wed 07: Take it to the Bridge @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free.
Wed 07: Black is the Color of My Voice @ Northern Stage, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Apphia Campbell’s one-woman stage play inspired by Nina Simone. Second night of two.

Thu 08: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ The Millstone, Mill Rise, South Gosforth, Newcastle. 1:00pm. Free.
Thu 08: Pete Tanton’s Chet Set @ Newcastle Arts Centre. 7:30pm. Free (donations).
Thu 08: Indigo Jazz Voices w. Little Big Band @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:45pm. £5.00.

Fri 09: Dean Stockdale Trio @ Bishop Auckland Methodist Church. 1:00pm. £9.00. Dean Stockdale (piano); Mick Shoulder (double bass); John Bradford (drums).
Fri 09: John Rowland Trio @ Jesmond Library, Newcastle. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Classic Swing @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: Rendezvous Jazz @ The Monkseaton Arms. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: New Orleans Preservation Jazz Band @ The Oxbridge Hotel, Stockton. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Shalala @ The Globe, Newcastle.

Sat 10: Catfish Keith @ Cluny 2, Newcastle. 7:30pm (doors). £19.00. + bf. Jumpin’ Hot Club.

Sun 11: Am Jam @ The Globe, Newcastle. 2:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Michael Young Trio @ The Engine Room, Sunderland. 2:30pm. Free. Feat. guest Jack ‘Banjo’ Courtney (trumpet).
Sun 11: 4B @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 3:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Harry Christelis Quartet @ The Globe, Newcastle. 8:00pm. A Jazz Co-op-JNE co-promotion.

Mon 12: Jack Pearce Quintet @ Yamaha Music School, Blyth. 1:00pm.
Mon 12: Friends of Jazz @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.

Thursday, August 13, 2020

RIP Brian Whittle.

Lewis Watson sent me the sad news that well known northeast reeds player and teacher has passed on. I'm sure there must be many musicians with fond memories of this great musician who would like to share them with us - Lance
----- 
My old friend and teacher Brian Whittle died on 11th August in hospital in Spain, I hope this posting is seen by some of the many people that studied and worked with Brian over many years, a wonderful Alto player, much loved and respected by all who were fortunate to know him.  Rip.Brian

Lewis Watson

7 comments :

Richard Emmerson (On F/b) said...

That's sad news. A lovely man and a great player. I had the pleasure of playing alongside him in The Little Big Band on Tyneside in the 80's and occasionally with Voice of the North. Unforgettable!

Ian Stocks (On F/b) said...

Brian and I worked several times together. He was a fine saxophone player..several funny stories about him and Arthur...sad news .

CCJAZZMEN said...

Very sad news indeed. Brian was one of the tutors when I was at the College Of Arts and Technology in Newcastle in the early 1970's and he used to take the student big band.

I will never forget being late for a rehearsal, and there is nothing worse than walking in
and everyone looking at you, Brian looked at me and said 'Teddy Foster' would never stand for this ! most students had know idea who Teddy Foster was, but he knew I did..

Wonderful teacher & musician. R.I.P.

Colin Aitchison (Hong Kong)

Peter 'Tubby' Ayton said...

So Sorry to hear of the passing of Brian-great sax player with a wonderful sense of humour. I worked alongside him when I taught bass at Newcastle College and played with him in various bands and ensembles over the years.Visited him at home one day, he invited me to his garden shed, to show me some of his wood carving, and the lathe he used, I hadn't been aware of his talent in this direction. I am sure Brian will be ok where he is now, as long as they don't have to play 'In the Mood'! - RIP Brian - Peter 'Tubby' Ayton.

Ray Harley said...

Brian Whittle, I would just like to say that he was just such a lovely unassuming man who I had so much admiration for and my pal in Portugal, Gary Cox was also in awe of the man.

Jason Greenwell said...

Very sad to discover Brian has passed on. He was my first sax tutor at New College Durham in the 80's. I used to love listening to his stories about his musical escapades. The mixtapes he used to make still contain some of my favourite music to date - sorry Brian I never did master the alto sax solo from 'Invincible' (Don Ellis). An inspiring teacher and a lovely man.

Unknown said...

Brian Whittle taught myself and others clarinet at Rutherford High School in the 60s a really lovely patient man and a fantastic teacher, I always remember his suede shoes RIP with grateful memories. Janice Mein as I was then

Blog Archive