Total Pageviews

Bebop Spoken There

Frank Tate: “Travelling’s part of life. It just goes with the job. It’s in one’s best interests, I think, to enjoy it, because it’s sure what you’re gonna be doing!” – (Jazz Journal February 1992)

Joe Temperley"I was on the bus as Carney's replacement. I said to Harold Ashby 'Where are we going?' He answered 'What difference does it make?' " - (Jazz UK January 2013.)

Archives.

Today Friday January 20

Afternoon
Rendezvous Jazz - The Monkseaton Arms, Front St., Monkseaton, Whitley Bay NE25 8DP. 1pm. Free.
-----
Evening
Triggerlawross - Jazz Café, 25 Pink Lane, Newcastle NE1 5DW. 9pm. Free.
Zoe Gilby/Mark Williams - Redwood Bar, Vermont Hotel, Castle Garth, Newcastle NE1 1RQ. 6pm Free. 0191 2331010.
-----
Graeme Wilson Quintet - Traveller's Rest, 2 West Auckland Rd., Cockerton, Darlington DL3 8ER. 01325 382576. 8:30pm. £6..
Steve Bone - Al Forno, 81 Skinnergate, Darlington DL3 7LX. 7:00pm.
-----
To the best of our knowledge, details of the above events are correct but may be subject to alteration.

Monday, May 16, 2016

CD Review: Jeff Denson Quartet - Concentric Circles

Jeff Denson (bs/vcl); Paul Hanson (bassoon); Dan Zemelman (pno); Alan Hall (dms).
(Review by Lance).
I don't recall many if any, jazz discs where the frontline horn is a bassoon. There's been the occasional oboe (an ill wind that nobody blows good!) that failed to make the earth move for me so I didn't rush to slip this one into the player. WTF is a bassoon anyway? I worked in a music shop for 30 years and I can count the number of bassoons we sold on one finger.
So as I say, I approached this one with mucho trepidation only to discover that, in the hands and lips of Paul Hanson, the bassoon can hold its own in any setting.
Denson on bass (inc. a couple of vocals) and a pair of aces on piano and drums make this album the joker in the pack. The joke's on me! I'd planned to palm it off on one of my colleagues but, after listening, I wouldn't part with it for all the Scotch in Scotland - well maybe for all of it!
Apart from the bassooning - I want one for Christmas - Denson's bass work with both bow and fingers is equally impressive. Listen to his virtuoso unaccompanied take on the only non-original piece, I Got it Bad and That Ain't Good. He takes the Ducal classic almost into violin frequencies so much so that the dog across the street started barking and wagging its tail!  pianist Zemelman hits all the right notes in the right places as well as the wrong ones in the right places. Throw in Alan Hall behind the kit and you have a band.
Available Ridgeway Records from June 10.
Lance.

1 comment :

  1. The oboe, "an ill wind that nobody blows good"? I hope that means that you haven't listened to Paul McCandless. I recommend the album 1000 Kilometers by Oregon.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

About this blog - contact details.

Bebop Spoken Here -- Here, being the north-east of England -- centred in the blues heartland of Newcastle and reaching down to the Tees Delta and looking upwards to the Land of the Kilt.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Contact: lanceliddle@gmail.com I look forward to hearing from you.

Subscribe!