Bebop Spoken There

John McLaughlin: ''It was then that Coltrane came along and single-handedly brought this dimension of spirituality into jazz. It was a pivotal experience to me.'' (DownBeat September, 2026)

The Things They Say!

This is a good opportunity to say thanks to BSH for their support of the jazz scene in the North East (and beyond) - it's no exaggeration to say that if it wasn't for them many, many fine musicians, bands and projects across a huge cross section of jazz wouldn't be getting reviewed at all, because we're in the "desolate"(!) North. (M & SSBB on F/book 23/12/24)

Postage

18957 (and counting) posts since we started blogging 18 years ago. 821 of them this year alone and, so far this month (Sept. 30.) 100.

Reviewers wanted

Whilst BSH attempts to cover as many gigs, festivals and albums as possible, to make the site even more comprehensive we need more 'boots on the ground' to cover the albums seeking review - a large percentage of which never get heard - report on gigs or just to air your views on anything jazz related. Interested? then please get in touch. Contact details are on the blog. Look forward to hearing from you. Lance

From This Moment On

October.

Tue 06: Alan Law @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 2:00pm. Free. Alan Law (piano) w. Paul Grainger (double bass).
Tue 06: Jam session @ The Black Swan, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free. House trio: Murray Oak, Paul Grainger, John Bradford.
Tue 06: Customs House Big Band @ The Masonic Hall, Ferryhill. 7:30pm. Free.
Tue 06: Black is the Color of My Voice @ Northern Stage, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Apphia Campbell’s one-woman stage play inspired by Nina Simone. First night of two.

Wed 07: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free. Wed 07: Darlington Big Band @ Darlington & Simpson Rolling Mills Social Club, Darlington. 7:00pm. Free. Rehearsal session (open to the public).
Wed 07: Take it to the Bridge @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free.
Wed 07: Black is the Color of My Voice @ Northern Stage, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Apphia Campbell’s one-woman stage play inspired by Nina Simone. Second night of two.

Thu 08: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ The Millstone, Mill Rise, South Gosforth, Newcastle. 1:00pm. Free.
Thu 08: Pete Tanton’s Chet Set @ Newcastle Arts Centre. 7:30pm. Free (donations).
Thu 08: Indigo Jazz Voices w. Little Big Band @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:45pm. £5.00.

Fri 09: Dean Stockdale Trio @ Bishop Auckland Methodist Church. 1:00pm. £9.00. Dean Stockdale (piano); Mick Shoulder (double bass); John Bradford (drums).
Fri 09: John Rowland Trio @ Jesmond Library, Newcastle. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Classic Swing @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: Rendezvous Jazz @ The Monkseaton Arms. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: New Orleans Preservation Jazz Band @ The Oxbridge Hotel, Stockton. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Shalala @ The Globe, Newcastle.

Sat 10: Catfish Keith @ Cluny 2, Newcastle. 7:30pm (doors). £19.00. + bf. Jumpin’ Hot Club.

Sun 11: Am Jam @ The Globe, Newcastle. 2:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Michael Young Trio @ The Engine Room, Sunderland. 2:30pm. Free. Feat. guest Jack ‘Banjo’ Courtney (trumpet).
Sun 11: 4B @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 3:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Harry Christelis Quartet @ The Globe, Newcastle. 8:00pm. A Jazz Co-op-JNE co-promotion.

Mon 12: Jack Pearce Quintet @ Yamaha Music School, Blyth. 1:00pm.
Mon 12: Friends of Jazz @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.

Tuesday, November 05, 2024

Afternoon Jazz @ Saisons, Burton Road Didsbury: Richard Iles Trio - Nov. 3

© Phil Portus
Richard Iles (flugel); Richard Jones (piano); Joshua Cavanagh-Brierley (bass).

After such a great gig by Greg Abate and his amazing musicians at Cheltenham's  Victory Club on Friday, I was not expecting much from this, my first visit to the Saisons, but I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the music. 


The venue is small and has seating outside which was already occupied when I  arrived by taxi just in time for the 3pm start. There are no buses running at all in Handforth on Sundays and you are lucky if any of the trains are not cancelled. 


Saisons is in West Didsbury and is very close to where the Midland Hotel was once situated and was the scene of many legendary jazz encounters. I think the pub is still there but has a new name. The famous Alan Hare Big Band used to play every week and that band was known world wide. Yep, Didsbury was buzzing back then!           

Sometimes they have duos here on Sundays but on this occasion three musicians were squeezed into the playing space. I last saw Richard Jones at the Royal Oak. Mellor, at a jam session which he tells me recently ceased. He brought his own piano to the gig, how often do you see that? He explained it is called a Keybird, made in Copenhagen and I think it was Richard Wetherall who told me there were only two that he knew of in the UK. Richard W is booked to play here next Sunday Nov. 10 and later at the Moor Club, Heaton Moor. Stockport.


The bassman, Josh C-B, I knew from his work with Johnny Hunter and his fine CD which had Chris Potter in the line-up which I reviewed some time ago for BSH.    


I had a short chat with Richard Iles at the end of the gig and I must say I was pleased he played flugelhorn exclusively as I've loved the instrument ever since I heard Clark Terry on the LP Blues In Orbit. After watching the Keybird piano being dismantled I had another Kronenbourg at £5-90 a pint then hopped into a taxi en route to the Moor Club to catch Ed Kainyek. I’ll do a review of the Moor Club tomorrow. Mike Farmer


VIDEO LINK (see comments).


It Could Happen To You; Quiet Nights; My Funny Valentine; I Love You; Good Morning Heartache; You Don’t Know What Love Is; The Secret Bossa Nova*; Blues For Duane; Body and Soul.  *Original by Richard Iles

2 comments :

Mike Farmer said...

I forgot to mention that there is no admission charge .

headphon1 said...

Hi Mike, thanks for coming to the gig. There's a video here of one of the tunes. Hope you enjoy it. Richard. https://youtu.be/oMPqXKRsT8g?si=TESnEx_aIWw9oCoM

Blog Archive