Total Pageviews

Bebop Spoken There

More from Jazz Monthly:

Jack Cooke: "...neither Giuffre nor Jim Hall are even adequate jazz musicians, they are technically limited, and more importantly, seem unable to improvise logically" - (Review of a JATP concert. Jazz Monthly May 1960)

Michael James: "...if Ellis [Herb] has merits they are definitely not these [fantastic fire and drive]". - (Review of Herb Ellis Meets Jimmy Giuffre (LP). Jazz Monthly May 1960).

Archives

Today Tuesday October 17

Afternoon
Vieux Carré Jazzmen - Black Bull, 98 Front St., East Boldon NE36 0SG. 1pm. Free. 0191 5365127. 5th of 6 consecutive gigs. 2 mins from East Boldon metro.
-----
Evening
Charles Gordon (solo piano) - Redwood Bar, Vermont Hotel, Newcastle. 10pm - midnight. Free.
Jam Session - Jazz Café, 25 Pink Lane, Newcastle NE1 5DW. 8pm. Free. James Harrison on piano.
-----
To the best of our knowledge, details of the above events are correct but may be subject to alteration.

Thursday, March 06, 2014

CD Review: Pigfoot - 21st Century Acid Trad.

Chris Batchelor (tpt); Liam Noble (pno); Oren Marshall (tuba); Paul Clarvis (dms).
(Review by Lance)
Acid Rock, Acid Jazz and now Acid Trad!
I can hear Jelly Roll Morten claiming, as he rolls over in his grave," Acid Trad? I sure didn't invent that. I invented most of them but I don't recall inventing that one. Maybe it was that ofay cat Ropollo who went nuts." 
Two CDs in the same vein but oh so far apart. 
The previous review of the Danish band was of a respectful and innovative take on earlier jazz. This isn't.
Four musicians who's talents should have been much better employed at doing what they do best - playing modern/contemporary - rather than this attempt to put a Formula One engine into a Model T.
In fairness, the solos are okay. Removed from the context of this CD - Noble's take on Tennessee Waltz in particular would impress anywhere - but, I'm sorry, if I'd listened to this before I heard the Danish disc I may have been more sympathetic towards it. 
Doesn't bring home the bacon so I'll settle for a bottle of beer and pass on the pigfoot..
Lance

5 comments :

  1. 2/3rd of the review is devoted to chastising Pigfoot for doing something original? Is this a parody?

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me it is. Four great musicians whose talents I felt should have been channelled in a more contemporary groove, I'll stick with the earlier classic versions. However, if this disc brings awareness of the past to the present generation of jazz listeners then I'll rethink my views.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lance, if what these musicians are playing is what you call 'modern/contemporary' and if this involves innovation and if innovation means changing things, then aren't they doing something entirely appropriate for the kind of musicians that they are? Your analogy ('putting a Formula One engine into a Model T') suggests that what they're doing is inappropriate and it does so by way of a rather conservative idea that different types of music (like different types of cars) should be kept apart. To me, this notion that forms shouldn't be mixed and that experiments shouldn't take place is really the antithesis of jazz. I think the Pigfoot album is the most exciting one I've heard for a long while and I have to say I think you've misheard it here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could be right! I've played it a few times and I must confess to softening towards it albeit I'm still not at the "most exciting album" stage yet! I still prefer Satchmo's Basin Street Blues although I'll grant you that Pigfeet have the edge on Pee Wee Hunt when it comes to Twelfth Street Rag.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Lance, I'm glad it's growing on you.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

About this blog - contact details.

Bebop Spoken Here -- Here, being the north-east of England -- centred in the blues heartland of Newcastle and reaching down to the Tees Delta and looking upwards to the Land of the Kilt.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Contact: lanceliddle@gmail.com I look forward to hearing from you.

Subscribe!