Bebop Spoken There

John McLaughlin: ''It was then that Coltrane came along and single-handedly brought this dimension of spirituality into jazz. It was a pivotal experience to me.'' (DownBeat September, 2026)

The Things They Say!

This is a good opportunity to say thanks to BSH for their support of the jazz scene in the North East (and beyond) - it's no exaggeration to say that if it wasn't for them many, many fine musicians, bands and projects across a huge cross section of jazz wouldn't be getting reviewed at all, because we're in the "desolate"(!) North. (M & SSBB on F/book 23/12/24)

Postage

18992 (and counting) posts since we started blogging 18 years ago. 856 of them this year alone and, so far this month (Oct. 11) 35.

Reviewers wanted

Whilst BSH attempts to cover as many gigs, festivals and albums as possible, to make the site even more comprehensive we need more 'boots on the ground' to cover the albums seeking review - a large percentage of which never get heard - report on gigs or just to air your views on anything jazz related. Interested? then please get in touch. Contact details are on the blog. Look forward to hearing from you. Lance

From This Moment On

October.

Sun 11: Am Jam @ The Globe, Newcastle. 2:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Michael Young Trio @ The Engine Room, Sunderland. 2:30pm. Free. Feat. guest Jack ‘Banjo’ Courtney (trumpet).
Sun 11: 4B @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 3:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Harry Christelis Quartet @ The Globe, Newcastle. 8:00pm. A Jazz Co-op-JNE co-promotion.

Mon 12: Jack Pearce Quintet @ Yamaha Music School, Blyth. 1:00pm.
Mon 12: Friends of Jazz @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.

Tue 13: Alan Law @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 2:00pm. Free. Alan Law (piano) w. Julija Jacenaite (vocals).

Wed 14: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Wed 14: A Night of Stevie Wonder @ Holy GrAle, Durham. 4:45pm. £3.00.; £2.50. A Durham University Jazz Society event.
Wed 14: Darlington Big Band @ Darlington & Simpson Rolling Mills Social Club, Darlington. 7:00pm. Free. Rehearsal session (open to the public).
Wed 14: Jam session @ The Tannery, Hexham. 7:00pm. Free.
Wed 14: Take it to the Bridge @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free.
Wed 14: A Night of Stevie Wonder @ Holy GrAle, Durham. 7:30pm. £3.00.; £2.50. A Durham University Jazz Society event.
Wed 14: NW FRQNC @ Pilgrim, Newcastle. 7:30pm. £15.00. Selina Albright, Gianni Vancini.
Wed 14: Jacob Egglestone Trio @ Elder Beer, Heaton, Newcastle. 8:00pm. £12.00. JNE.

Thu 15: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ The Millstone, Mill Rise, South Gosforth, Newcastle. 1:00pm. Free.
Thu 15: Jazz Appreciation North East @ Brunswick Methodist Church, Newcastle NE1 7BJ. 2:00pm. £5.00.
Thu 15: Leah Kirk: A Strange Affair @ Newcastle Arts Centre. 7:30pm. Free (donations). Leah Kirk (vocals); Alan Law (keyboards); Paul Grainger (double bass).
Thu 15: Jeremy McMurray’s Pocket Jazz Orchestra @ Arc, Stockton. 8:00pm. PJO w. guest Graham Hardy (trumpet).

Fri 16: Classic Swing @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 16: Rendezvous Jazz @ The Monkseaton Arms. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 16: New Orleans Preservation Jazz Band @ The Oxbridge Hotel, Stockton. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 16: Ancient Infinity Orchestra @ Cobalt Studios, Newcastle. 7:00pm.
Fri 16: Lindsay Hannon: Tom Waits for No Man @ Sunderland Minster. 7:30pm. £13.01. adv.; £15.00. on the door. Old Black Cat Jazz Club.
Fri 16: Milne Glendinning Band @ Repas 7 by Night, West St., Berwick. 8:00pm. Free.

Sat 17: SunOrbitUs @ Culture House, Sunderland. 11:00am - 5:00pm. Closing event in a year-long piece of music. 11:00am-1:00pm Improvisation workshop w. Faye MacCalman; 2:00-5:00pm Collective Improvised Performance by Sunderland residents. SOLD OUT!
Sat 17: Tees Bay Swing Band @ Blacksmith’s Arms, Hartlepool. 1:30pm. Free. Open rehearsal.
Sat 17: Martin Taylor @ Bowes Museum, Barnard Castle. 7:30pm. £48.72; £43.37. Solo guitar. SOLD OUT!

Thursday, March 06, 2014

CD Review: Pigfoot - 21st Century Acid Trad.

Chris Batchelor (tpt); Liam Noble (pno); Oren Marshall (tuba); Paul Clarvis (dms).
(Review by Lance)
Acid Rock, Acid Jazz and now Acid Trad!
I can hear Jelly Roll Morten claiming, as he rolls over in his grave," Acid Trad? I sure didn't invent that. I invented most of them but I don't recall inventing that one. Maybe it was that ofay cat Ropollo who went nuts." 
Two CDs in the same vein but oh so far apart. 
The previous review of the Danish band was of a respectful and innovative take on earlier jazz. This isn't.
Four musicians who's talents should have been much better employed at doing what they do best - playing modern/contemporary - rather than this attempt to put a Formula One engine into a Model T.
In fairness, the solos are okay. Removed from the context of this CD - Noble's take on Tennessee Waltz in particular would impress anywhere - but, I'm sorry, if I'd listened to this before I heard the Danish disc I may have been more sympathetic towards it. 
Doesn't bring home the bacon so I'll settle for a bottle of beer and pass on the pigfoot..
Lance

5 comments :

Unknown said...

2/3rd of the review is devoted to chastising Pigfoot for doing something original? Is this a parody?

Lance said...

To me it is. Four great musicians whose talents I felt should have been channelled in a more contemporary groove, I'll stick with the earlier classic versions. However, if this disc brings awareness of the past to the present generation of jazz listeners then I'll rethink my views.

Anonymous said...

Hey Lance, if what these musicians are playing is what you call 'modern/contemporary' and if this involves innovation and if innovation means changing things, then aren't they doing something entirely appropriate for the kind of musicians that they are? Your analogy ('putting a Formula One engine into a Model T') suggests that what they're doing is inappropriate and it does so by way of a rather conservative idea that different types of music (like different types of cars) should be kept apart. To me, this notion that forms shouldn't be mixed and that experiments shouldn't take place is really the antithesis of jazz. I think the Pigfoot album is the most exciting one I've heard for a long while and I have to say I think you've misheard it here.

Lance said...

You could be right! I've played it a few times and I must confess to softening towards it albeit I'm still not at the "most exciting album" stage yet! I still prefer Satchmo's Basin Street Blues although I'll grant you that Pigfeet have the edge on Pee Wee Hunt when it comes to Twelfth Street Rag.

Anonymous said...

Great Lance, I'm glad it's growing on you.

Blog Archive