Bebop Spoken There

John McLaughlin: ''It was then that Coltrane came along and single-handedly brought this dimension of spirituality into jazz. It was a pivotal experience to me.'' (DownBeat September, 2026)

The Things They Say!

This is a good opportunity to say thanks to BSH for their support of the jazz scene in the North East (and beyond) - it's no exaggeration to say that if it wasn't for them many, many fine musicians, bands and projects across a huge cross section of jazz wouldn't be getting reviewed at all, because we're in the "desolate"(!) North. (M & SSBB on F/book 23/12/24)

Postage

18957 (and counting) posts since we started blogging 18 years ago. 821 of them this year alone and, so far this month (Sept. 30.) 100.

Reviewers wanted

Whilst BSH attempts to cover as many gigs, festivals and albums as possible, to make the site even more comprehensive we need more 'boots on the ground' to cover the albums seeking review - a large percentage of which never get heard - report on gigs or just to air your views on anything jazz related. Interested? then please get in touch. Contact details are on the blog. Look forward to hearing from you. Lance

From This Moment On

October.

Tue 06: Alan Law @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 2:00pm. Free. Alan Law (piano) w. Paul Grainger (double bass).
Tue 06: Jam session @ The Black Swan, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free. House trio: Murray Oak, Paul Grainger, John Bradford.
Tue 06: Customs House Big Band @ The Masonic Hall, Ferryhill. 7:30pm. Free.
Tue 06: Black is the Color of My Voice @ Northern Stage, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Apphia Campbell’s one-woman stage play inspired by Nina Simone. First night of two.

Wed 07: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free. Wed 07: Darlington Big Band @ Darlington & Simpson Rolling Mills Social Club, Darlington. 7:00pm. Free. Rehearsal session (open to the public).
Wed 07: Take it to the Bridge @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free.
Wed 07: Black is the Color of My Voice @ Northern Stage, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Apphia Campbell’s one-woman stage play inspired by Nina Simone. Second night of two.

Thu 08: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ The Millstone, Mill Rise, South Gosforth, Newcastle. 1:00pm. Free.
Thu 08: Pete Tanton’s Chet Set @ Newcastle Arts Centre. 7:30pm. Free (donations).
Thu 08: Indigo Jazz Voices w. Little Big Band @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:45pm. £5.00.

Fri 09: Dean Stockdale Trio @ Bishop Auckland Methodist Church. 1:00pm. £9.00. Dean Stockdale (piano); Mick Shoulder (double bass); John Bradford (drums).
Fri 09: John Rowland Trio @ Jesmond Library, Newcastle. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Classic Swing @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: Rendezvous Jazz @ The Monkseaton Arms. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: New Orleans Preservation Jazz Band @ The Oxbridge Hotel, Stockton. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Shalala @ The Globe, Newcastle.

Sat 10: Catfish Keith @ Cluny 2, Newcastle. 7:30pm (doors). £19.00. + bf. Jumpin’ Hot Club.

Sun 11: Am Jam @ The Globe, Newcastle. 2:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Michael Young Trio @ The Engine Room, Sunderland. 2:30pm. Free. Feat. guest Jack ‘Banjo’ Courtney (trumpet).
Sun 11: 4B @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 3:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Harry Christelis Quartet @ The Globe, Newcastle. 8:00pm. A Jazz Co-op-JNE co-promotion.

Mon 12: Jack Pearce Quintet @ Yamaha Music School, Blyth. 1:00pm.
Mon 12: Friends of Jazz @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.

Monday, December 16, 2013

Jam Session - Splinter at the Bridge December 15

Zoe Gilby, Kieran Rafferty & Kath Jobes (Vocal) Alan Law (Piano) John Pope (D Bass) Jonathan Marriott (Drum) Paul Gowland (Sax).
(Review by Kath Jobes)
Well folks, I have to say I was in two minds whether or not to report on this Splinter session.  Lance was undecided whether to publish the comment as he is reluctant to post anonymous ones but maybe readers should have the choice… and one out of 400 hits is probably just a bad egg so I will allow you to decide, here is what “Anonymous” wrote:
My God. Who is this Kath Jobes? She's at it again. Does someone wind her up & throw away the key? A short, informative review would be suffice, by the time we get to the end, we're bored!
Well I will tell you who I am, I am someone who is not afraid to express my views and take responsibility for them.  I will stand up for myself and I will not be bullied by some numpty who hasn’t the courage to sign their name to a rude and personal attack.  If you had been at Splinter you would have known who I was… or maybe you are just hiding behind your words…. If you get bored don’t read my reviews… Simple!  Anyway, enough said!
So folks as I said I hadn’t planned to review this week, I had once again been over to Salsa for a sing, and decided to continue on to Splinter… I didn’t  get my pad out for the first instrumental  number but the minute Zoe Gilby hit the stage I just couldn’t let folks down so out it came to report once more…
I Thought About You, sung as a beautiful ballad was followed by Just Squeeze Me, with wonderfully expressive solos from both piano and bass.  Gee Baby Ain’t I Good To You was described as a sleazy bluesy number by Zoe and it didn’t disappoint.  The Alan Law trio then went on to play an upbeat interpretation of Bye Bye Blackbird… a song I had sung earlier at Salsa and Law’s improvised piano solo slipped in a phrase of Don’t Get Around Much Anymore, and was followed by more stupendous solos  from Pope on bass and Marriott on drums. 
Kieran Rafferty took to the stage for a couple of numbers, and impressed with I Only Have Eyes For You and Rock a Bye Baby, this singer is highly talented and reminded me of Chet Baker and at times Michael Bublé.  The first set was rounded off nicely by the trio with Blue Bossa. 
My Funny Valentine was the underlying tune for the introduction of set two by the Trio, but was improvised delightfully by the skilled musicians to the point that I almost forgot that I was up next!  Audience members described my version of Good Morning Heartache as soulful and heartfelt, and indeed that was exactly the interpretation I had wanted. 
Rafferty then came back to centre stage for an exquisite By the Light of the Silvery Moon, and the night was rounded off by Zoe Gilby, who was not allowed to escape without one more brilliant tune… a stupendous bossa – Love For Sale, even Paul Gowland could not resist this tune and got out his tenor to delight with a stunning solo… dressed as the Christmas Elf with his Santa hat on.  As the night came to a close Paul Bream thanked attendees for coming along to support Splinter at the Bridge and reminded people about Tuesday Night at The Cluny where AVC have a final gig of the year… it will be well worth seeing folks.
Kath J.

2 comments :

Lance said...

A moment to stand up and be counted!

mark robertson said...

Anonymous's post says more about themselves than Kath Jobes.

Blog Archive