Total Pageviews

Bebop Spoken There

Frank Tate: “Travelling’s part of life. It just goes with the job. It’s in one’s best interests, I think, to enjoy it, because it’s sure what you’re gonna be doing!” – (Jazz Journal February 1992)

Joe Temperley"I was on the bus as Carney's replacement. I said to Harold Ashby 'Where are we going?' He answered 'What difference does it make?' " - (Jazz UK January 2013.)

Archives.

Today Saturday January 21

Evening

James Harrison (solo piano) - Cherry Tree Restaurant, 9 Osborne Rd., Jesmond, Newcastle. 7:30pm. No cover charge.

Hannah Taylor/Alix Shepherd - Redwood Bar, Vermont Hotel, Castle Garth, Newcastle NE1 1RQ. Free 7.pm 0191 2331010.

Dutch Treat - Jazz Café, 25 Pink Lane, Newcastle NE1 5DW. 9pm. £3.

Budtet - The Globe, 11 Railway St., Newcastle NE4 7AD. 8pm. £5.

-----

To the best of our knowledge, details of the above events are correct but may be subject to alteration.

Monday, April 04, 2016

Geoff Schofield on Tubby, Coltrane


Well, this one came out of left field!
 Geoff's brother Graham was playing drums in a function band I was fronting back in 1899 (ish!) and Geoff was starting to frighten me with his tenor playing! He eventually took over my second tenor chair in the Newcastle Big Band when I decided to concentrate on the function band (I think we called them Dance Bands in those days).
Nevertheless, we hung out in the Kelly pub in Hebburn most Wednesday afternoons along with his brother Graham, Charlie Carmichael, Bill Shaw and any other passing musical imbibers. A record session invariably followed, my wife sweeping out the dead bodies - ah  happy days!
Graham went to sea and eventually ended up in Devon, Bill remained in Pelaw and I, in Hebburn. Geoff headed west and now lives in Maryland.
So it was with great delight that I read the following:
Hi Lance,
It’s been a while, I hope you are Tip Top. Since we last conversed the sax has been in and out of the box a couple of times. I’d like to say it is now out for good – but we’ll see. I’ve been practicing like mad for about 9 months now and I’m actually blowing reasonably well. I thought you might be interested in an old (1960) interview with Tubby Hayes (probably my favorite tenor player when we used to hang out at the Kelly). I hope you can get this Youtube clip, (title and URL below) Tubby makes a most prophetic statement about John Coltrane and Giant Steps at 4 mins 35 sec. 
Tubby Hayes Interview Circa 1960 (Part Two) @ 4 mins 35 secs 
Speaking of Giant Steps, check out this cool video: Watch this Colorful Animated 'Giant Steps' Video! I think you might like it.
I’m sure your aware of this page on the “Sting” web page,
(http://www.sting.com/discography/album/317/Albums - a nice acknowledgment of his formative years. 
Keep up the good work and keep well.
Geoff.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About this blog - contact details.

Bebop Spoken Here -- Here, being the north-east of England -- centred in the blues heartland of Newcastle and reaching down to the Tees Delta and looking upwards to the Land of the Kilt.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Contact: lanceliddle@gmail.com I look forward to hearing from you.

Subscribe!