Bebop Spoken There

John McLaughlin: ''It was then that Coltrane came along and single-handedly brought this dimension of spirituality into jazz. It was a pivotal experience to me.'' (DownBeat September, 2026)

The Things They Say!

This is a good opportunity to say thanks to BSH for their support of the jazz scene in the North East (and beyond) - it's no exaggeration to say that if it wasn't for them many, many fine musicians, bands and projects across a huge cross section of jazz wouldn't be getting reviewed at all, because we're in the "desolate"(!) North. (M & SSBB on F/book 23/12/24)

Postage

18957 (and counting) posts since we started blogging 18 years ago. 821 of them this year alone and, so far this month (Sept. 30.) 100.

Reviewers wanted

Whilst BSH attempts to cover as many gigs, festivals and albums as possible, to make the site even more comprehensive we need more 'boots on the ground' to cover the albums seeking review - a large percentage of which never get heard - report on gigs or just to air your views on anything jazz related. Interested? then please get in touch. Contact details are on the blog. Look forward to hearing from you. Lance

From This Moment On

October.

Thu 08: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ The Millstone, Mill Rise, South Gosforth, Newcastle. 1:00pm. Free.
Thu 08: Pete Tanton’s Chet Set @ Newcastle Arts Centre. 7:30pm. Free (donations).
Thu 08: Indigo Jazz Voices w. Little Big Band @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:45pm. £5.00.

Fri 09: Dean Stockdale Trio @ Bishop Auckland Methodist Church. 1:00pm. £9.00. Dean Stockdale (piano); Mick Shoulder (double bass); John Bradford (drums).
Fri 09: John Rowland Trio @ Jesmond Library, Newcastle. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Classic Swing @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: Rendezvous Jazz @ The Monkseaton Arms. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: New Orleans Preservation Jazz Band @ The Oxbridge Hotel, Stockton. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Shalala @ The Globe, Newcastle.

Sat 10: Catfish Keith @ Cluny 2, Newcastle. 7:30pm (doors). £19.00. + bf. Jumpin’ Hot Club.

Sun 11: Am Jam @ The Globe, Newcastle. 2:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Michael Young Trio @ The Engine Room, Sunderland. 2:30pm. Free. Feat. guest Jack ‘Banjo’ Courtney (trumpet).
Sun 11: 4B @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 3:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Harry Christelis Quartet @ The Globe, Newcastle. 8:00pm. A Jazz Co-op-JNE co-promotion.

Mon 12: Jack Pearce Quintet @ Yamaha Music School, Blyth. 1:00pm.
Mon 12: Friends of Jazz @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.

Tue 13: Alan Law @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 2:00pm. Free. Alan Law (piano) w. Julija Jacenaite (vocals).

Wed 14: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Wed 14: Darlington Big Band @ Darlington & Simpson Rolling Mills Social Club, Darlington. 7:00pm. Free. Rehearsal session (open to the public).
Wed 14: Jam session @ The Tannery, Hexham. 7:00pm. Free.
Wed 14: Take it to the Bridge @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free.
Wed 14: NW FRQNC @ Pilgrim, Newcastle. 7:30pm. £15.00. Selina Albright, Gianni Vancini.
Wed 14: Jacob Egglestone Trio @ Elder Beer, Heaton, Newcastle. 8:00pm. £12.00. JNE.

Thursday, September 29, 2022

Album review: Fleur Stevenson & Pete Billington For All we Know

Fleur Stevenson (vocals); Pete Billington (piano/guitar/bass/viola)

Don't do what I did which was to sigh and say, "Not another chick singing standards that every wannabe from time immemorial has done and that's without mentioning the Ellas Peggys and Billies".

That was before I actually got around to listening to what is actually a very fine album. 

Stevenson has one of those gentle voices, the kind that creeps up on you rather than one that hits you in the face. Peggy Lee and Blossom Dearie had that quality - Daryl Sherman still does and Fleur is close to that league.

Billington provides the perfect, sympathetic accompaniment whether on piano, guitar, bass or, I kid you not, viola on Stella - surely a first!

I know you've heard most of the songs before - that's the beauty of the GASbook you can hear a hundred versions and, given the singer, each one can come out differently. Stevenson's interpretations are distinctly individual and are well worth checking out. 

And, and this is most important, she doesn't sing Summertime which, in my eyes, immediately gives her contender status. One minor point, I would have liked some more up tempo stuff although the odd snatches of scat did break things up a little. Nevertheless, that small quibble won't stop me putting it on repeat on the car stereo.

The album is launched at The Pheasantry, Pizza Express, Chelsea on Oct. 26. Lance

A Time For Love; When Sunny Gets Blue; Small Day Tomorrow; I've Got You Under my Skin; For All we Know; I've Grown Accustomed to His Face; Everything Must Change; Stella by Starlight; I Fall in Love Too Easily; My Buddy.

1 comment :

Ray Higgs said...

Perfect review, and I can confirm that it was a very special evening. I did grab a copy of the album at the Pheasantry, however I passed it on to our friends who were visiting all the way from Gander, Newfoundland, who we brought with us for the evening.
Rest assured I shall be replacing it when I next see Fleur or Pete though.
I would definitely rate these guys highly, especially on this album.

Blog Archive