Bebop Spoken There
Roland Kirk: "[On playing 3 horns at once] There might be some guy out in the woods somewhere who we never heard of who did it before me. I do know I'm the first to bring it to the public''- (Down Beat May 18, 1967).
Diana Krall: "I'll come into the gig for the soundcheck, and guys will ask, 'Where's the piano player?' They don't realise I'm both" - (Down Beat May 1995).
Today Saturday October 1
Kevin Grenfell's Jazz Giants - St. Augustine's Centre, Larchfield Tce., Darlington DL3 7TG. 12:330pm. £10.
Play Jazz Workshop w. Asaf Sirkis - Sage Gateshead. 2pm. £20 (£18 Jazz Coop shareholders).
Sirkis/Bialas Quartet - The Globe, 11 Railway St., Newcastle NE4 7AD. 8:00pm. £15. Asaf Sirkis (percussion), Sylwia Bialas (vocals), Frank Harrison (piano), Kevin Glasgow (bass).
Rendezvous Jazz - The Red Lion, 1 Front St., Earsdon NE25 9JU. 8:30pm. £3. NOTE CHANGE OF VENUE FOR THIS MONTH ONLY.
Sinatra & Friends Holographic Concert - Whitley Bay Playhouse. 7:30pm. £22.00. (£20.00.concs.). Live performance plus AV technology.
Mia Webb/Roy Willis - New Ship Inn, 403 Sunderland Rd., Cleadon NE34 8DG. 7pm. Free.
Somethin' Blue - Mercure Hotel, 9-12 Priestgate, Darlington DL1 1NW. 7:30pm. Free.
Peter Gilligan (solo piano) - Cherry Tree Restaurant, 9 Osborne Rd., Jesmond, Newcastle. 7:30pm. No cover charge.
Ruth Lambert/Alan Law - Redwood Bar, Vermont Hotel, Castle Garth, Newcastle NE1 1RQ. Free 7.pm 0191 2331010.
To the best of our knowledge, details of the above events are correct but may be subject to alteration.
Monday, November 19, 2012
Preview of the DeJohnette gig at The Sage
- ► 2016 ( 732 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- CD Review: Dice Factory.
- Jam Session @ Hoochie Thursday November 29.
- Jazz in Amsterdam Part 2 (of 3)
- Jazz in Amsterdam - part 1 (of 3).
- RIP Mickey Baker.
- Don't Miss Saturday Night @ Hoochie Coochie!
- RIP Stan Greig
- Lord Puttnam Announces Lord Falconer as New Chairm...
- CD Review: Paul Baxter Quartet - Monuments
- (Preview) Doctor (Contemporary) Jazz prescribes tr...
- Sonsale @ The Bridge Hotel.
- The Jazz Age.
- More Charlie Smith and north east jazz memorabilia...
- Tom Gibbs Quartet/Sonsale @ The Bridge
- Jessica Needs Help.
- The BSH Awards
- The Week Ahead
- Today's Jazz Record Requests
- Kings of Cool Monday Nov. 26 Radio 2 @ 10pm.
- Matt Schofield Trio + Sam Hare @ The Cluny. Novemb...
- The Good Die Young. RIP Austin Peralta
- CD Review: Modern Jazz Quartet - Original Album Se...
- The Worthy Member for Downtown Chester-le-Street ....
- Vieux Carré Jazzmen @ The Millstone.
- Lauren Kinsella, Mark Sanders & Will Edmondes @ Ki...
- Courtney Pine's album voted Jazz Record of the Yea...
- 7.30PM SUNDAY 25TH NOVEMBER SONSALE + TOM GIBBS QU...
- Jack DeJohnette Group/Polar Bear @ The Sage, Gates...
- Gateshead International Jazz Festival 2013 Announc...
- Courtney Pine booked to appear at Hoochie in New Y...
- CD Review: Joey Stuckey - Mixture.
- Cool For Cats
- R.I.P. Pete La Roca
- More Charlie Smith
- Preview of the DeJohnette gig at The Sage
- CD Review: Hot Club of Cowtown - Rendezvous in Rhy...
- Paul Baxter Quartet @ The Bridge Hotel. November 1...
- Hot Club of Cowtown @ The Sage, Gateshead
- CD Review: Chris Higginbottom – Where Land Ends (F...
- Gavin Lee's New Orleans Jazz Band @ The Trinity Ce...
- CD Review: Nicholl & Farquharson - Della by Moonli...
- A Flute and Nut Case
- Swing City Quartet @ The Customs House, South Shie...
- Kurt Elling & Sheila Jordan @ The Southbank Centre...
- The Collective @ Hoochie.
- Jazz North seeks bands to be touring ambassadors f...
- Heard they crowded the floor to say goodbye to Sta...
- Ferryboat Serenade
- Bebop Speaks!
- Jukebox Mambo
- The Cavendish Club.
- A Date With Daryl
- Charlie Smith remembered.
- The Music of Bill Evans: Paul Edis Trio at the Che...
- Customs House looks good on Friday
- Serious select Andy Champion and Chris Montague as...
- Trio Riot @ The Bridge Hotel. November 11
- CD Review: Masha Campagne Like Water, Like Air
- RIP Bill Kell
- Jam Session @ The Jazz Café Sunday November 11
- Sunday Afternoon ...
- CD Review: FADO EM SI BEMOL
- A Voyage of Discovery - Djangologie at St.Cuthbert...
- Remembering the Northumbrian Restaurant and the Br...
- Harry James Band @ Newcastle Odeon Mystery
- Ray Harley Fractures Elbow.
- Lickety Split @ Ashington Jazz Club November 8.
- Breach @ Central Bar, Gateshead. November 8
- Katherine Stone and her Trio – Exchange Café, Quee...
- A touch of Nostalgia
- The Allsorts @ Hoochie Coochie
- Hong Kong Calling
- Message From Mike
- ACT Records 20th Anniversary
- CD Review: Jan Garbarek/Egberto Gismonti/Charlie H...
- Customs House Big Band Open Rehearsal New Crown So...
- Future of Jazz in the North East
- R.I.P. Stan Coates
- CD Review: Ran Blake/Sara Serpa - Aurora
- Ayanna/Kairos 4tet @ The Sage, Gateshead. Tuesday ...
- RIP Ted Curson.
- Jeremy McMurray Ensemble @ The Cherry Tree
- Lee Hall and Sting to Support In Harmony North Eas...
- CD Review: Borders Breach
- CD Review: Landing Ground Laura Jurd
- ACV @ The Bridge. Sunday Nov. 4
- A66 Road Trip Part 2 - Tees Valley Jazzmen/persons...
- A66 Road Trip Part 1 - Frank Brooker's Happy Chapp...
- Tell us about the first time and how it was for yo...
- The Informer
- Cécile McLorin Salvant News.
- CD Review: Neil C. Young Trio - 'El Camino'.
- Paul Edis Sextet @ Blaydon Jazz Club. November 1
- Jazz North East Posters
- Jam Session @ Hoochie Thursday Nov. 1
- John Edwards @ King’s Hall. November 1
- CD Review: The New Mastersounds - Out On The Fault...
- ▼ November ( 98 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)