Total Pageviews

Bebop Spoken There

Howard Riley: “When I started out playing jazz back in the late 50s, early 60s, if you wanted a gig you had to learn some standards.” – (Jazz Journal April 2017)

Eric Harland: “I love swing and I’m always going to swing but I also know that you can take a hip-hop groove and improvise with that just like you would with a swing pattern.” – (Jazz Journal April 2017)

Friday April 28

Afternoon
Rendezvous Jazz - The Black Horse, Front St., Monkseaton, Whitley Bay NE25 8DP. 1pm. Free.
Dean Stockdale Trio - Town Hall, Market Place, Bishop Auckland DL14 7NP. 1pm. £5.
-----
Evening
Emma Fisk's Hot Club du Nord - St. Cuthbert's Centre, Church Hill, Crook DL15 9DN. 7:30pm.
Matt Roberts Sextet - Voodoo Café, Skinnergate, Darlington DL3 7LX. 8pm. £6. 01325 467555. Darlington Jazz Festival.
Steve Bone - Al Forno, 81 Skinnergate, Darlington DL3 7LX. 7:00pm.
-----
Lazy River Jazz Band - Blenkinsopp Castle Inn, Nr. Greenhead CA8 7JS. 8pm. £5. Dancers welcome! 07721 375278 for more details.
To the best of our knowledge, details of the above events are correct but may be subject to alteration.

Thursday, May 01, 2014

School Reunion, Shelly Manne & Bireli Lagrene.

School reunion - it had been awhile since the last one and I looked forward to meeting up with those guys and gals who were part of my formative years. I went for the number 27 bus only for the driver to ignore my gesticulations for him to wait whilst I crossed the road - fingers were directed in his direction! 
Standing at the bus stop awaiting the next 27 I suddenly realised that, not only was it raining but it was also cold. To make matters worse, the zip on my leather jacket had ceased functioning and I was far from warm. I vowed that when I reached Newcastle I'd go to the nearest charity shop and purchase a sweater or something to prevent my body temperature dropping into the danger zone.
The best Arthritis UK on Grainger St. could offer was a scarf for £1. Bargain! I scanned the bookshelves in case there was an Elmore Leonard I had yet to read. No joy. Elmore Leonard readers, understandably, don't give up their treasures lightly. I then glanced at the CDs...
Shelly Manne and his Men at the Black Hawk Vol. 2! I already had Vol. 1 - Kamuca, Joe Gordon, Feldman, Monty Budwig, for £1 an even better buy than the scarf! I had to pinch myself - next to it a CD by Bireli Lagrene and next to that CDs by Duke, Miles, Billie, Sarah, Fats, Grappelli, Tatum plus a few jazz compilations - have I died and gone to heaven I wondered? In the end I settled for the scarf, Shelly and Bireli.
I'm listening to Shelly and his Men as I type - they're playing What's New? In the early days of this blog Roly V waxed eloquently about Richie Kamuca and RK lives up to that seal of approval on this disc. Joe Gordon was no mug on trumpet either!
So, on to the reunion, we've all aged - some more than others - but the survivors still retain the affection we felt for each other all those years ago as we stood on the edge of the future...  One day I may even convince George that jazz didn't end in 1929...
Lance

3 comments :

  1. Reading Roly's original posting it would be nice for readers to send their takes on a favourite musician - the queue forms on the right...

    ReplyDelete
  2. just think...if the driver had waited for you, you'd have missed the bargains!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right Liz - buses are every ten minutes whereas good jazz CDs turn up less frequently and when they do 3 or more turn up at once!
    The Bireli one is also superb - your boys, I guess, love him.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

About this blog - contact details.

Bebop Spoken Here -- Here, being the north-east of England -- centred in the blues heartland of Newcastle and reaching down to the Tees Delta and looking upwards to the Land of the Kilt.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Contact: lanceliddle@gmail.com I look forward to hearing from you.

Subscribe!