Total Pageviews

Bebop Spoken There

Michael Feinstein: “Fred Astaire is my favorite singer. To me, he was the perfect interpreter of American popular song.” – (Jazz Times December 2014).

Bud Shank: “Once I saw California – that was it, I stayed.” – (Jazz Journal May 1991)

Archives.

Today Wednesday February 22

Afternoon.
Vieux Carre Jazzmen - Crescent Club, 1 Hudleston, Cullercoats NE30 3OS. 1pm. Free.
-----
Evening.
Take it to the Bridge - The Globe, 11 Railway St., Newcastle NE4 7AD. £1. 8pm.
Lindsay Hannon - Cherry Tree Restaurant, 9 Osborne Rd., Jesmond, Newcastle. 7:30pm. No cover charge.
Chris Sharkey Trio - Jazz Café, 25 Pink Lane, Newcastle NE1 5DW. 8ppm. £4 (Students free).
-----
Cancelled this week only. Levee Ramblers NOJB - Springwell Village Community Venue, Fell Road, Springwell, Gateshead NE9 7RP. 8:30pm. £3.00. Cancelled.
-----
To the best of our knowledge, details of the above events are correct but may be subject to alteration.

Sunday, March 02, 2014

Bebop Spoken Here talks to Jason Rebello.

BSH: Hi Jason looking forward to hearing you up in Newcastle. Last time you were in the region I think was with Madeleine Peyroux at Sage Gateshead is that right?
That's correct. I really enjoy playing with Madeline, she is a wonderful singer and a lovely person to be around. We get on very well.

BSH: You produced some fine Hammond sounds that night that really brought the gig to life.
Her music is quite reflective and sad, but I am a fiery Aries, full of beans, and it's hard to resist the energy that flows when I play. I have to restrain myself sometimes when I play with her so as not to spoil the vibe but when I do get allowed to play, I enjoy it to the full.

BSH: You’ve also, I note, sold out Ronnie’s on March 15. Quite an achievement when you think of the calibre of artists who play there. You must have something good going on with this latest venture.
It's a great band, and the music is exciting and funky. I think people are enjoying what we do. It's uplifting stuff.. 

BSH: A new album and a single out is that right?
Yes, the new album "Anything but look" is out, with a blend of jazz, funk, soul and latin. The new single is "New Joy" which features the wonderful singing of Joy Rose. (Incognito)

BSH: Tell me about the band. Troy Miller was here last month with Natalie Williams and he’s back with you. Joy Rose also seems to be  a name that’s getting noticed.
Well Troy is an incredible musician, and he injects so much life into the music. Karl on bass is funky and a great acoustic bass player too. Xan is a superb singer and keyboard player and we work well together. Joy, I have worked with for over twenty years, and you would be lucky to see a singer with as much soul, passion and funkiness as Joy..

BSH: I see you’re at Bristol the night before couldn't get two gigs much further apart!
Yes, I'm doing a two piano gig with an amazing piano player, Ivo Neame. 

BSH:
This sounds like it’s going to be a night to remember at Hoochie
Well I think it will. The band is on fire at the moment, and the music is uplifting people, so I'm very much looking forwards to it..

Jason Rebello can be heard at Hoochie Coochie this Friday (March 7) On stage @ 9pm. £10.

1 comment :

  1. Thanks Lance . Tickets still available through Hoochie Coochie website or on the door @ only £10 !

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

About this blog - contact details.

Bebop Spoken Here -- Here, being the north-east of England -- centred in the blues heartland of Newcastle and reaching down to the Tees Delta and looking upwards to the Land of the Kilt.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Contact: lanceliddle@gmail.com I look forward to hearing from you.

Subscribe!