Bebop Spoken There
Mundell Lowe: “...we also had to play for a floor show, which consisted of girls dancing--some of 'em were dressed, some of 'em were not so dressed.” – (Crescendo September 1974).
Betty Bennett: “I've never sung "Funny Valentine"--my only claim to fame.” – (Crescendo September 1974).
Today Wednesday December 2
Friday, November 30, 2012
(Review by Ron Ainsborough.)
Thursday, November 29, 2012
Wednesday, November 28, 2012
Tuesday, November 27, 2012
Monday, November 26, 2012
(Review by Russell).
Sunday, November 25, 2012
Saturday, November 24, 2012
Lance (I'm batting in the other cat - not I hasten to add... )
If you click on Carol Kidd it takes you through to a very interesting interview with Carol on Radio Scotland
Jazz Record Requests is on Radio 3 at 5pm.
(Thanks to Liz for drawing this series to our attention.)
Following on from last year's Strong and Sassy, jazz lover Moira Stuart turns her attention to the Kings Of Cool, exploring the lives and careers of some of her favourite jazzmen.
Friday, November 23, 2012
(Review by Lance.)
Another release in Warner Jazz's Original Album Series this time featuring five albums by the MJQ from the early 1960s. I've always viewed the Modern Jazz Quartet with reservations. When they get it right they are on the money and on The Sheriff and Pyramid they do just that. Jackson's vibes are always a delight - a cool mint julep on a sunny day. Lewis, economical, never a note out of place with a very melodic side to his playing - the guiding light. Strangely enough, I think Lewis would also have made a good vibes player. Heath and Kay provide the solid foundation beneath it all.
Perhaps Paul should stand in the next election?
Thursday, November 22, 2012
(Review by Lance.)
Wednesday, November 21, 2012
Tuesday, November 20, 2012
Monday, November 19, 2012
(Review by Russell).
Sunday, November 18, 2012
(Review by Wesley Stephenson.)
The second and new studio album by Chris Higginbottom features 6 tracks and clocks in at just under 50 minutes in length. In that time the music makes a good effort to be “both accessible and challenging, to play and to listen” as stated in the press release, but I guess that depends on who’s listening?
Saturday, November 17, 2012
(Review by Lance).
Friday, November 16, 2012
(Review by Lance.)
Thursday, November 15, 2012
Here's a few pic's from my 70's archives which may stir a few memories.
Wednesday, November 14, 2012
More memorabilia from Jean. On the right a reminder of how classy the Cavendish Club was and the calibre of entertainment. On the left, the resident George Ricco Quartet.Charlie Smith is the guitarist, pianist George Richardson (Ricco) is sitting, Andy Milne (bass?) is in the centre but who is the drummer?
Tuesday, November 13, 2012
Jean also sent me a photo of the Peter Fielding orchestra which has been oft mentioned on here recently.
PS: Maurice Summerfield has sent more photos of Charlie with Barney Kessel, Ike Isaacs, Maurice and a mystery big band. Maurice actually took the photo on the left of this post at the Imperial Hotel Jesmond.
Monday, November 12, 2012
The Bridge Hotel audience heard composed pieces rehearsed and committed to memory with the trio having some fun on improvised sections, returning to the head and ending on a succession of entertaining stop-time tom foolery.
Sunday, November 11, 2012
Saturday, November 10, 2012
Friday, November 09, 2012
Thanks to Gordon Solomon for this update.
(Review by Peter S.)
If I owned a parrot I would teach him to repeat "Pieces of Eight Lickety Split" again and again to support this wonderful 8 piece group of musicians led by Eddie Bellis. This is a dynamic workman-like unit who reintroduced our audience to the music commonly regarded as West Coast Jazz. Eddie named the great musicians from Jazz development who created and inspired this musical style.
(Review by John T.)
Thursday, November 08, 2012
12th November - Michael Wollny, Iiro Rantala & Adam Baldych – St James Piccadilly
16th November - Gwilym Simcock (with City of London Sinfonia) – St James Piccadilly
17th November - Leszek Możdżer & radio.string.quartet.vienna – St James Piccadilly
18th November - Yaron Herman (Quartet) – The Clore Ballroom – Southbank Centre – 2PM.
ACT are one of the labels close to the cutting edge and the above should appeal to those of an adventurous frame of mind.
- ► 2015 ( 944 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- CD Review: Dice Factory.
- Jam Session @ Hoochie Thursday November 29.
- Jazz in Amsterdam Part 2 (of 3)
- Jazz in Amsterdam - part 1 (of 3).
- RIP Mickey Baker.
- Don't Miss Saturday Night @ Hoochie Coochie!
- RIP Stan Greig
- Lord Puttnam Announces Lord Falconer as New Chairm...
- CD Review: Paul Baxter Quartet - Monuments
- (Preview) Doctor (Contemporary) Jazz prescribes tr...
- Sonsale @ The Bridge Hotel.
- The Jazz Age.
- More Charlie Smith and north east jazz memorabilia...
- Tom Gibbs Quartet/Sonsale @ The Bridge
- Jessica Needs Help.
- The BSH Awards
- The Week Ahead
- Today's Jazz Record Requests
- Kings of Cool Monday Nov. 26 Radio 2 @ 10pm.
- Matt Schofield Trio + Sam Hare @ The Cluny. Novemb...
- The Good Die Young. RIP Austin Peralta
- CD Review: Modern Jazz Quartet - Original Album Se...
- The Worthy Member for Downtown Chester-le-Street ....
- Vieux Carré Jazzmen @ The Millstone.
- Lauren Kinsella, Mark Sanders & Will Edmondes @ Ki...
- Courtney Pine's album voted Jazz Record of the Yea...
- 7.30PM SUNDAY 25TH NOVEMBER SONSALE + TOM GIBBS QU...
- Jack DeJohnette Group/Polar Bear @ The Sage, Gates...
- Gateshead International Jazz Festival 2013 Announc...
- Courtney Pine booked to appear at Hoochie in New Y...
- CD Review: Joey Stuckey - Mixture.
- Cool For Cats
- R.I.P. Pete La Roca
- More Charlie Smith
- Preview of the DeJohnette gig at The Sage
- CD Review: Hot Club of Cowtown - Rendezvous in Rhy...
- Paul Baxter Quartet @ The Bridge Hotel. November 1...
- Hot Club of Cowtown @ The Sage, Gateshead
- CD Review: Chris Higginbottom – Where Land Ends (F...
- Gavin Lee's New Orleans Jazz Band @ The Trinity Ce...
- CD Review: Nicholl & Farquharson - Della by Moonli...
- A Flute and Nut Case
- Swing City Quartet @ The Customs House, South Shie...
- Kurt Elling & Sheila Jordan @ The Southbank Centre...
- The Collective @ Hoochie.
- Jazz North seeks bands to be touring ambassadors f...
- Heard they crowded the floor to say goodbye to Sta...
- Ferryboat Serenade
- Bebop Speaks!
- Jukebox Mambo
- The Cavendish Club.
- A Date With Daryl
- Charlie Smith remembered.
- The Music of Bill Evans: Paul Edis Trio at the Che...
- Customs House looks good on Friday
- Serious select Andy Champion and Chris Montague as...
- Trio Riot @ The Bridge Hotel. November 11
- CD Review: Masha Campagne Like Water, Like Air
- RIP Bill Kell
- Jam Session @ The Jazz Café Sunday November 11
- Sunday Afternoon ...
- CD Review: FADO EM SI BEMOL
- A Voyage of Discovery - Djangologie at St.Cuthbert...
- Remembering the Northumbrian Restaurant and the Br...
- Harry James Band @ Newcastle Odeon Mystery
- Ray Harley Fractures Elbow.
- Lickety Split @ Ashington Jazz Club November 8.
- Breach @ Central Bar, Gateshead. November 8
- Katherine Stone and her Trio – Exchange Café, Quee...
- A touch of Nostalgia
- The Allsorts @ Hoochie Coochie
- Hong Kong Calling
- Message From Mike
- ACT Records 20th Anniversary
- CD Review: Jan Garbarek/Egberto Gismonti/Charlie H...
- Customs House Big Band Open Rehearsal New Crown So...
- Future of Jazz in the North East
- R.I.P. Stan Coates
- CD Review: Ran Blake/Sara Serpa - Aurora
- Ayanna/Kairos 4tet @ The Sage, Gateshead. Tuesday ...
- RIP Ted Curson.
- Jeremy McMurray Ensemble @ The Cherry Tree
- Lee Hall and Sting to Support In Harmony North Eas...
- CD Review: Borders Breach
- CD Review: Landing Ground Laura Jurd
- ACV @ The Bridge. Sunday Nov. 4
- A66 Road Trip Part 2 - Tees Valley Jazzmen/persons...
- A66 Road Trip Part 1 - Frank Brooker's Happy Chapp...
- Tell us about the first time and how it was for yo...
- The Informer
- Cécile McLorin Salvant News.
- CD Review: Neil C. Young Trio - 'El Camino'.
- Paul Edis Sextet @ Blaydon Jazz Club. November 1
- Jazz North East Posters
- Jam Session @ Hoochie Thursday Nov. 1
- John Edwards @ King’s Hall. November 1
- CD Review: The New Mastersounds - Out On The Fault...
- ▼ November ( 98 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Posting a Comment
Posting a comment.
1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).
2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.
3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).
4) Click on Publish your comment..
5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.
Alternatively, email me - firstname.lastname@example.org.