 |
| © Russell |
Brian Bennett (banjo); Jim McBriarty (tenor sax, clarinet,
vocals); David Gray (trombone, trumpet, vocals); Colin Aitchison (trumpet,
trombone, vocals); Chris Perrin (keys) + Neville Sarony (vocals, keys); Ben
Helm (guitar); Jenna Stewart (vocals)
A 6 oz medium cooked rump steak, with chips, onion rings, peas and peppercorn sauce went down well. The steak, exactly as I like it, was succulent and hadn't long stopped sizzling. The chips were neither skinny nor chunky but comfortably in between and easily digestible whilst the onion rings had a piquancy about them that hit the spot. I found the peas not as warm as I like them but that could have been because I left them till last causing them to cool off, However, overall, I can only say "Mes félicitations au chef".
 |
| © Russell |
Félicitations too to the augmented Vieux Carré who, aided and assisted by their guests, blew away those World Cup blues.Vocals abounded: Colin Aitchison sang Sweet Lorraine and Sunday: Jim McBriarty gave out with Avalon and Honky Tonk Town: David Gray crooned I'll be Seeing You and Exactly Like You whilst the up and coming Jenna Stewart (make a note of that name) made an impression with Love me or Leave me.
 |
| © Russell |
However, the star of the show - and few would dispute it - was Neville Sarony. Like Colin he's on vacation from Hong Kong and, in the first set, we enjoyed: Five Foot Two (Eyes of Blue) and Do You Know What it Means to Miss New Orleans? For his second shot he took over from Chris Perrin at the keyboard and our fancy was tickled with a hilarious Alcoholic Blues as well as Bésame Mucho sung in Spanish. |
| © Russell |
Apart from the vocals both Colin and David played trumpet and trombone, Ben Helm played nice rhythm guitar, Jimmy McB offered contrast to the brass boys with some cool tenor and agile clarinet. Chris Perrin came down from up in them there hills to slot in nicely whilst Brian Bennett - the Baron of the Banjo - chugged away in true New Orleans fashion. Check the Millstone out - the food is great and the music's not bad either! Lance
No comments :
Post a Comment