Derrick Harris (guitar); Pete Whittaker (B3); George Double (drums)
Our man from way out west - Mike Farmer - reviewed Harris many times at the old Railway pub in Stockport and again more recently at the Moor Club. His reviews were positive and, listening to Harris on this organ trio EP, he wasn't wrong.
Harris gets a good clean sound that blends nicely with Whittaker's punchy Hammond. I've always been impressed by Whittaker whether with Art Themen, Jim Mullen, Nigel Price or, more recently on Deirdre Cartwright's excellent album Organik. He knows what the Hammond is all about and utilises its potential to the full.
I'm less familiar with George Double although I have heard him on disc with Art Themen where he did the business just as he does here.
Harris composed the five numbers and, unlike so many of the organ trio 'greats', most of them are more than a re-working of the blues. Well worth checking out on one of 'the streamers' such as Bandcamp.
A fine album modernising the old Blue Note and Prestige albums whilst still maintaining their spirit. Lance
I Hear What You're Saying; Days Gone By; Second Exit; White Rabbits; Zig-zag
No comments :
Post a Comment