Greg Abate (alto sax, flute); Neil Hunter (keyboards); Paul Grey (double bass); Ian Beeston (drums)
I was undecided about going to this event until the morning of the gig as the starting time had been brought forward to 4.30pm due to the football match. It also meant taking no less than five trains to get to Belper, a small Derbyshire village.Unbelievably the trains were on time and after leaving Handforth Station at 9.27am I arrived in Belper at about 2.00pm
After a problem finding my booking which I had forgotten to confirm, this got sorted and I checked in to the Lion Hotel for two nights. I like the Lion Hotel as the food is good and the prIces are reasonable plus the local station is close by.
The 28 Club is a small venue, no drinks available but next door is Angles pub so no need to be thirsty. Greg turned up at about 4.00pm so no need for last minute panic stations! The gig itself was, as always with Greg, sensational and contained quite a few originals such as On the Road and All or Nothing. I was impressed with Greg's version of Here's That Rainy Day. The rhythm section did a fantastic job on some challenging material. Ian Beeston is up there with the best and I think I have heard most of the top drummers. Many thanks to Paul Grey, bassman extraordinaire, for giving me a lift back to the hotel after the gig. The keyboard player Neil Hunter can hold his own and he is the third component of the Belper Jazz Company. Mike Farmer
No comments :
Post a Comment