Bebop Spoken There

John McLaughlin: ''It was then that Coltrane came along and single-handedly brought this dimension of spirituality into jazz. It was a pivotal experience to me.'' (DownBeat September, 2026)

The Things They Say!

This is a good opportunity to say thanks to BSH for their support of the jazz scene in the North East (and beyond) - it's no exaggeration to say that if it wasn't for them many, many fine musicians, bands and projects across a huge cross section of jazz wouldn't be getting reviewed at all, because we're in the "desolate"(!) North. (M & SSBB on F/book 23/12/24)

Postage

18957 (and counting) posts since we started blogging 18 years ago. 821 of them this year alone and, so far this month (Sept. 30.) 100.

Reviewers wanted

Whilst BSH attempts to cover as many gigs, festivals and albums as possible, to make the site even more comprehensive we need more 'boots on the ground' to cover the albums seeking review - a large percentage of which never get heard - report on gigs or just to air your views on anything jazz related. Interested? then please get in touch. Contact details are on the blog. Look forward to hearing from you. Lance

From This Moment On

October.

Mon 05: Friends of Jazz @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Mon 05: Saltburn Big Band @ Saltburn House Hotel. 7:00-9:00pm. Free. Rehearsal session (open to the public).

Tue 06: Alan Law @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 2:00pm. Free. Alan Law (piano) w. Paul Grainger (double bass).
Tue 06: Jam session @ The Black Swan, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free. House trio: Murray Oak, Paul Grainger, John Bradford.
Tue 06: Customs House Big Band @ The Masonic Hall, Ferryhill. 7:30pm. Free.
Tue 06: Black is the Color of My Voice @ Northern Stage, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Apphia Campbell’s one-woman stage play inspired by Nina Simone. First night of two.

Wed 07: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free. Wed 07: Darlington Big Band @ Darlington & Simpson Rolling Mills Social Club, Darlington. 7:00pm. Free. Rehearsal session (open to the public).
Wed 07: Take it to the Bridge @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free.
Wed 07: Black is the Color of My Voice @ Northern Stage, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Apphia Campbell’s one-woman stage play inspired by Nina Simone. Second night of two.

Thu 08: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ The Millstone, Mill Rise, South Gosforth, Newcastle. 1:00pm. Free.
Thu 08: Pete Tanton’s Chet Set @ Newcastle Arts Centre. 7:30pm. Free (donations).
Thu 08: Indigo Jazz Voices w. Little Big Band @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:45pm. £5.00.

Fri 09: Dean Stockdale Trio @ Bishop Auckland Methodist Church. 1:00pm. £9.00. Dean Stockdale (piano); Mick Shoulder (double bass); John Bradford (drums).
Fri 09: John Rowland Trio @ Jesmond Library, Newcastle. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Classic Swing @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: Rendezvous Jazz @ The Monkseaton Arms. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: New Orleans Preservation Jazz Band @ The Oxbridge Hotel, Stockton. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Shalala @ The Globe, Newcastle.

Sat 10: Catfish Keith @ Cluny 2, Newcastle. 7:30pm (doors). £19.00. + bf. Jumpin’ Hot Club.

Sun 11: Am Jam @ The Globe, Newcastle. 2:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Michael Young Trio @ The Engine Room, Sunderland. 2:30pm. Free. Feat. guest Jack ‘Banjo’ Courtney (trumpet).
Sun 11: 4B @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 3:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Harry Christelis Quartet @ The Globe, Newcastle. 8:00pm. A Jazz Co-op-JNE co-promotion.

Sunday, May 29, 2022

Jazz Venues of The Past

Long before my proper jazz days, I remember a jazz club on Monday evenings at the Turks Head pub in South Shields. The pub is long gone and houses stand there now. This must have been many years ago when I was aged about 30, because I seem to remember that the club was full of ‘old’ men and there were many expensive cars, such as Mercedes, outside. Who on earth were these rich jazz people, or did I dream it all?

I knew about the jazz because there was a folk club in the same pub on Friday nights, so I thought I'd try the jazz, which I realised was good music but which didn't quite chime with me in those days.

I don't know who the bands were but it was not the 'trad' jazz of which you heard a lot in those days.

I also remember that there was a trad jazz evening on Sundays at the local Westoe Rugby Club. I went there just a few times in, I think, the 1980s and I was fascinated to see people dancing quicksteps and such to the band.

One night in the early 2000s I bumped into Lance in Newcastle and we went to a jazz venue down towards the Side Gallery. We heard Zoë Gilby who sang impressively. Ann Alex 


4 comments :

Lance said...

As I recall, I think the band at the Turks included Bill Harper and Tommy Moran.

carstairs said...

I came up to Whitley Bay in 1975. I used to go to the High Point Hotel, with Hughie Aitchison and Jim Ruddick in the band I think.
Sometime later Mike Durham's WJRK took over, which prompted me to start playing tuba again, sitting in after buying a big old Conn from America ( in those days it was possible to get it shipped cheaply by surface ). Mike Durham, Bob King, ?Danny Dunbar, Fergus Hope, John Wheatley/Malcolm Moyer, Jimmy Stewart. All gone now.

Bill Gallon said...

1:Golden Lion, Winlaton Mill now called the Red Kite. A good venue on a bus route and a good room. Many memories of Gassie, Ronnie Robinson, Ronnie Mclean and Bill Brooks. It was still active in 1978.
2: Rose, Shamrock and Thistle at Streetgate, Sunniside with the Tyne Valley Stompers with Fred Rowe, cornet; Bill Smith and, on one occasion, a rare visitor from London - Cy Laurie on clarinet. This was back in the days when attendances were high.

3: A personal one for those who were at Gateshead Grammar School round 1951 to 1954. On a Monday evening at 4.00 pm the Head Boy - "Dabs" Walker - held a jazz records session with discussions on records and bands.
This was in the days of Ken Colyer, Chris Barber and Humphrey Lyttelton. Another attendee was Derrick Cogger who went on to play cornet with local bands. Derrick is still seen at venues but sadly all the others can now only be heard on recordings.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Billy Harper was on piano, good pub back in the day. One of my regular sit-in sessions before you guys and the tinternet turned up! P.G.

Blog Archive