Bebop Spoken There

John McLaughlin: ''It was then that Coltrane came along and single-handedly brought this dimension of spirituality into jazz. It was a pivotal experience to me.'' (DownBeat September, 2026)

The Things They Say!

This is a good opportunity to say thanks to BSH for their support of the jazz scene in the North East (and beyond) - it's no exaggeration to say that if it wasn't for them many, many fine musicians, bands and projects across a huge cross section of jazz wouldn't be getting reviewed at all, because we're in the "desolate"(!) North. (M & SSBB on F/book 23/12/24)

Postage

18957 (and counting) posts since we started blogging 18 years ago. 821 of them this year alone and, so far this month (Sept. 30.) 100.

Reviewers wanted

Whilst BSH attempts to cover as many gigs, festivals and albums as possible, to make the site even more comprehensive we need more 'boots on the ground' to cover the albums seeking review - a large percentage of which never get heard - report on gigs or just to air your views on anything jazz related. Interested? then please get in touch. Contact details are on the blog. Look forward to hearing from you. Lance

From This Moment On

October.

Wed 07: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free. Wed 07: Darlington Big Band @ Darlington & Simpson Rolling Mills Social Club, Darlington. 7:00pm. Free. Rehearsal session (open to the public).
Wed 07: Take it to the Bridge @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free.
Wed 07: Black is the Color of My Voice @ Northern Stage, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Apphia Campbell’s one-woman stage play inspired by Nina Simone. Second night of two.

Thu 08: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ The Millstone, Mill Rise, South Gosforth, Newcastle. 1:00pm. Free.
Thu 08: Pete Tanton’s Chet Set @ Newcastle Arts Centre. 7:30pm. Free (donations).
Thu 08: Indigo Jazz Voices w. Little Big Band @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:45pm. £5.00.

Fri 09: Dean Stockdale Trio @ Bishop Auckland Methodist Church. 1:00pm. £9.00. Dean Stockdale (piano); Mick Shoulder (double bass); John Bradford (drums).
Fri 09: John Rowland Trio @ Jesmond Library, Newcastle. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Classic Swing @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: Rendezvous Jazz @ The Monkseaton Arms. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: New Orleans Preservation Jazz Band @ The Oxbridge Hotel, Stockton. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Shalala @ The Globe, Newcastle.

Sat 10: Catfish Keith @ Cluny 2, Newcastle. 7:30pm (doors). £19.00. + bf. Jumpin’ Hot Club.

Sun 11: Am Jam @ The Globe, Newcastle. 2:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Michael Young Trio @ The Engine Room, Sunderland. 2:30pm. Free. Feat. guest Jack ‘Banjo’ Courtney (trumpet).
Sun 11: 4B @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 3:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Harry Christelis Quartet @ The Globe, Newcastle. 8:00pm. A Jazz Co-op-JNE co-promotion.

Mon 12: Jack Pearce Quintet @ Yamaha Music School, Blyth. 1:00pm.
Mon 12: Friends of Jazz @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.

Tue 13: Alan Law @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 2:00pm. Free. Alan Law (piano) w. Julija Jacenaite (vocals).

Thursday, January 07, 2021

In Search of Benny Golson (via Sesame Street!).

Subtitle: What I did with one day of lockdown.

For reasons which will become abundantly clear, I could equally have called this piece: “Exploring My Own Ignorance”.

I recently re-watched the Tom Hanks/Spielberg film, The Terminal, which I love but had forgotten most of. I remembered the name, Benny Golson, when his cameo featuring Killer Joe came up towards the end of the film, but little else about him.

Next day, coincidentally, Paul Edis featured Killer Joe on his Patreon blog – performing, analysing and comparing several (very) different versions of it. Despite it being in the film (where Golson’s sax takes the melody) I had not realised Golson composed the song. It has a different “feel” in the Jazztet version when muted trumpet takes the lead and different again in the harmonica version (which I loved) by Toots Thielemans, the multi-talented Belgian. I’d never heard of Thielemans but had often, unknowingly, HEARD him play on the theme music of Sesame Street which I promptly Googled and took a trip down memory lane! How potently music evokes memories – of my own children rapt in front of the telly, in this case.

In the Jazztet version, Golson gives some character notes for Killer Joe, the person. On The Manhattan Transfer’s version, from their brilliant Vocalese album, Tim Hauser elaborates, theatrically and gaudily costumed, on those notes. Well worth a watch!

Returning then to the film, to check how Golson fitted into the plot I became curious about the crumpled newspaper photo Viktor Navorski carries in his Planters Peanuts tin. It is, of course, an iconic 1958 picture by photographer Art Kane (which I was also ignorant of!) entitled A Great Day in Harlem. Googling that produced a list of musicians’ names – 57 in all, including Golson, of course. To my shame, I recognised only 17 of them. Try Googling it yourself and see how many you recognise instantly – I’ll wager Lance and Russell will get 100%! I also noted that there was a 1995(?) documentary all about the occasion captured in the photo. Watching that (to shine more light in my caverns of ignorance) will now go to the top of my “to-do” list.

The Terminal had a very mixed reception from film critics and, although it made healthy profits at the box-office, it was small-beer compared to most Spielberg films but it did feature (and here I am showing my ignorance again because it never really registered with me) an outstanding sound-track by John Williams. So I Googled that, too, and thoroughly enjoyed just shutting my eyes and listening to the music – especially the most relevant track here, Jazz Autographs, which is a beautiful piece in its own right.

That its beauty never consciously registered with me as one of the things which made the film enjoyable is testimony to the power music has over the emotions – even subconsciously. That’s the subject matter of another (for me) revelatory documentary series on music by Neil Brand (on BBC i-Player) where he looks at film and TV themes, advertising jingles, games music and a host of other things which are the sound-track of modern life. I recommend them as well!

Jerry

No comments :

Blog Archive