Bebop Spoken There

John McLaughlin: ''It was then that Coltrane came along and single-handedly brought this dimension of spirituality into jazz. It was a pivotal experience to me.'' (DownBeat September, 2026)

The Things They Say!

This is a good opportunity to say thanks to BSH for their support of the jazz scene in the North East (and beyond) - it's no exaggeration to say that if it wasn't for them many, many fine musicians, bands and projects across a huge cross section of jazz wouldn't be getting reviewed at all, because we're in the "desolate"(!) North. (M & SSBB on F/book 23/12/24)

Postage

18957 (and counting) posts since we started blogging 18 years ago. 821 of them this year alone and, so far this month (Sept. 30.) 100.

Reviewers wanted

Whilst BSH attempts to cover as many gigs, festivals and albums as possible, to make the site even more comprehensive we need more 'boots on the ground' to cover the albums seeking review - a large percentage of which never get heard - report on gigs or just to air your views on anything jazz related. Interested? then please get in touch. Contact details are on the blog. Look forward to hearing from you. Lance

From This Moment On

October.

Tue 06: Jam session @ The Black Swan, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free. House trio: Murray Oak, Paul Grainger, John Bradford.
Tue 06: Customs House Big Band @ The Masonic Hall, Ferryhill. 7:30pm. Free.
Tue 06: Black is the Color of My Voice @ Northern Stage, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Apphia Campbell’s one-woman stage play inspired by Nina Simone. First night of two.

Wed 07: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free. Wed 07: Darlington Big Band @ Darlington & Simpson Rolling Mills Social Club, Darlington. 7:00pm. Free. Rehearsal session (open to the public).
Wed 07: Take it to the Bridge @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free.
Wed 07: Black is the Color of My Voice @ Northern Stage, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Apphia Campbell’s one-woman stage play inspired by Nina Simone. Second night of two.

Thu 08: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ The Millstone, Mill Rise, South Gosforth, Newcastle. 1:00pm. Free.
Thu 08: Pete Tanton’s Chet Set @ Newcastle Arts Centre. 7:30pm. Free (donations).
Thu 08: Indigo Jazz Voices w. Little Big Band @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:45pm. £5.00.

Fri 09: Dean Stockdale Trio @ Bishop Auckland Methodist Church. 1:00pm. £9.00. Dean Stockdale (piano); Mick Shoulder (double bass); John Bradford (drums).
Fri 09: John Rowland Trio @ Jesmond Library, Newcastle. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Classic Swing @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: Rendezvous Jazz @ The Monkseaton Arms. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: New Orleans Preservation Jazz Band @ The Oxbridge Hotel, Stockton. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Shalala @ The Globe, Newcastle.

Sat 10: Catfish Keith @ Cluny 2, Newcastle. 7:30pm (doors). £19.00. + bf. Jumpin’ Hot Club.

Sun 11: Am Jam @ The Globe, Newcastle. 2:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Michael Young Trio @ The Engine Room, Sunderland. 2:30pm. Free. Feat. guest Jack ‘Banjo’ Courtney (trumpet).
Sun 11: 4B @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 3:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Harry Christelis Quartet @ The Globe, Newcastle. 8:00pm. A Jazz Co-op-JNE co-promotion.

Mon 12: Jack Pearce Quintet @ Yamaha Music School, Blyth. 1:00pm.
Mon 12: Friends of Jazz @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.

Tuesday, January 19, 2021

R.I.P. Junior Mance (1928 - 2021)

It wasn't until 2003 that I first heard Junior Mance live. It was in fact the first and only time and it was in Gateshead at that town's Caedmon Hall where the event took place in a concert organised by Jazz North East.

If I hadn't heard him live prior to that memorable concert (and I'm sure I must have done somewhere down the line) then I more than made up for it on record.

The first time I heard the pianist was on a 1954 album titled Jam Session with Clifford Brown, Maynard Ferguson, Clark Terry and others. There were two pianists listed - Richie Powell was the other one - and when I heard the piano solo on Move I thought both pianists were having a work out. It was some years later that I discovered it was only Mance which made me appreciate him all the more - shades of the apocryphal story of the young Art Tatum and the piano roll.

One of the albums that I play most frequently and what I'm playing now, as I type, is Dizzy's 1959 album Have Trumpet Will Excite! which, on the strength of his piano solo on St. Louis Blues, could have been subtitled Have Junior Mance Will Excite! On Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams Dizzy plays possibly one of his most melodic solos ever and Mance picks it up playing part of the trumpet player's solo note for note before adding his own variation - one of those magical moments.

The news that Junior Mance died on January 17 (or was it 16? reports vary) signifies the loss of yet another jazz great - he was 92.
Sadly missed.
Lance

3 comments :

Miles said...

Mance appeared with Dizzy at the City Hall in the 50's I think it was the Newport Jazz Package that included Brubeck and Buck Clayton.I moved house last year and threw away all my old programmes otherwise I could give you more details.
Miles

Lance said...

Thanks Miles. You've put my mind at rest. I knew I'd seen Junior Mance with Dizzy but assumed it was a JATP gig. So, I dug into my programmes and there it was NEWPORT JAZZ FESTIVAL - Newcastle City Hall, Sept. 1959. Dizzy, Leo Wright, Junior, Art Davis and Les (sometimes referred to as Lex) Humphrey.

Mike Farmer said...

Junior Mance was a true bop legend and I saw him in Manchester with Dizzy and also when backing singer Joe Williams. Years later I got to see him on Jazz Cruises and once played Green Dolphin Street on Tenor Sax with him during a jam session. I attended a recording session when he played Monk tunes with Joe Temperley. Peter Washington and Mickey Roker. I bought the CD recently and it's excellent. R.I.P Junior.

Blog Archive