Bebop Spoken There

John McLaughlin: ''It was then that Coltrane came along and single-handedly brought this dimension of spirituality into jazz. It was a pivotal experience to me.'' (DownBeat September, 2026)

The Things They Say!

This is a good opportunity to say thanks to BSH for their support of the jazz scene in the North East (and beyond) - it's no exaggeration to say that if it wasn't for them many, many fine musicians, bands and projects across a huge cross section of jazz wouldn't be getting reviewed at all, because we're in the "desolate"(!) North. (M & SSBB on F/book 23/12/24)

Postage

18982 (and counting) posts since we started blogging 18 years ago. 846 of them this year alone and, so far this month (Oct. 8.) 25.

Reviewers wanted

Whilst BSH attempts to cover as many gigs, festivals and albums as possible, to make the site even more comprehensive we need more 'boots on the ground' to cover the albums seeking review - a large percentage of which never get heard - report on gigs or just to air your views on anything jazz related. Interested? then please get in touch. Contact details are on the blog. Look forward to hearing from you. Lance

From This Moment On

October.

Fri 09: Dean Stockdale Trio @ Bishop Auckland Methodist Church. 1:00pm. £9.00. Dean Stockdale (piano); Mick Shoulder (double bass); John Bradford (drums).
Fri 09: John Rowland Trio @ Jesmond Library, Newcastle. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Classic Swing @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: Rendezvous Jazz @ The Monkseaton Arms. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: New Orleans Preservation Jazz Band @ The Oxbridge Hotel, Stockton. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Shalala @ The Globe, Newcastle.

Sat 10: Catfish Keith @ Cluny 2, Newcastle. 7:30pm (doors). £19.00. + bf. Jumpin’ Hot Club.

Sun 11: Am Jam @ The Globe, Newcastle. 2:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Michael Young Trio @ The Engine Room, Sunderland. 2:30pm. Free. Feat. guest Jack ‘Banjo’ Courtney (trumpet).
Sun 11: 4B @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 3:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Harry Christelis Quartet @ The Globe, Newcastle. 8:00pm. A Jazz Co-op-JNE co-promotion.

Mon 12: Jack Pearce Quintet @ Yamaha Music School, Blyth. 1:00pm.
Mon 12: Friends of Jazz @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.

Tue 13: Alan Law @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 2:00pm. Free. Alan Law (piano) w. Julija Jacenaite (vocals).

Wed 14: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Wed 14: A Night of Stevie Wonder @ Holy GrAle, Durham. 4:45pm. £3.00.; £2.50. A Durham University Jazz Society event.
Wed 14: Darlington Big Band @ Darlington & Simpson Rolling Mills Social Club, Darlington. 7:00pm. Free. Rehearsal session (open to the public).
Wed 14: Jam session @ The Tannery, Hexham. 7:00pm. Free.
Wed 14: Take it to the Bridge @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free.
Wed 14: A Night of Stevie Wonder @ Holy GrAle, Durham. 7:30pm. £3.00.; £2.50. A Durham University Jazz Society event.
Wed 14: NW FRQNC @ Pilgrim, Newcastle. 7:30pm. £15.00. Selina Albright, Gianni Vancini.
Wed 14: Jacob Egglestone Trio @ Elder Beer, Heaton, Newcastle. 8:00pm. £12.00. JNE.

Thu 15: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ The Millstone, Mill Rise, South Gosforth, Newcastle. 1:00pm. Free.
Thu 15: Jazz Appreciation North East @ Brunswick Methodist Church, Newcastle NE1 7BJ. 2:00pm. £5.00.
Thu 15: Leah Kirk: A Strange Affair @ Newcastle Arts Centre. 7:30pm. Free (donations). Leah Kirk (vocals); Alan Law (keyboards); Paul Grainger (double bass).
Thu 15: Jeremy McMurray’s Pocket Jazz Orchestra @ Arc, Stockton. 8:00pm. PJO w. guest Graham Hardy (trumpet).

Monday, March 28, 2011

After This and That - Now The Other!


The Jazz Festival is different for me from last year as I was very new to the Jazz World then but I’m finding my Jazz Feet now and they’re tapping away nicely on Friday evening in the Jazz Lounge, to the sound of ACV. I’d seen this band advertised many times by Lance and others, and it’s great to discover them for myself. As the brochure says, influences of prog rock, I hear Hendrix in there, and Andy Champion does so many fast chord changes that I’m worried that his left hand will fall off.
Next I’m in Hall 2 listening to Soweto Kinch and it’s good to see modern elements fully integrated into jazz. I refer to the hip-hop (or is it rap, somebody tell me the difference). Anyway, one song was a call and response and then we had great fun with the freestyle, based on the word ‘freedom’. This man is an excellent verbal communicator with audiences, never mind his vibrant sax playing.
Saturday and I’m in the loo at the Sage when I hear the most wonderful African singing and am tempted to rush out mid-stream so I don’t miss it. It’s ‘Hannabiell and Midnight Blue’ on the Concourse, wonderful African drums and percussion. This must have been one of the high points of the festival as it stopped everyone in their tracks.
Rapt attention.
Discussion is taking place about alterations to the Jazz Lounge programme as someone is threatening to jump off the Tyne Bridge, so traffic is held up. I then find myself in the lounge, listening to Nick Pride and the Pimptones, another band I’ve only seen advertised, and such professionalism under fire so to speak, as they were obliged to do a shortened set. I’m fascinated at the way Nick manages to integrate instructions to the band into his introductions, such as ‘And horns start this one’, normally stuff he’d say offstage I suppose. The evening sees me checking out the Central Bar, long before the Jam Session, just to see the architecture, which is smart Victorian (I think) and smells fresh and clean. Packed with punters. I predict a great future for this pub.
The main informal event of Sunday was to see my friends from the Sage Blue Jazz singing class doing their stuff on the Concourse with Lindsay Hannon and the Alan Law Trio. And didn’t they do well, Heather, Andrea and Gabby, all different and pleasing, with songs such as ‘All of You’ and ‘Song for my Father’. I’m out of the class this term (folk music called me back) but, (Health and Safety Warning to the Blue Jazzers ), I intend to return.
Oh, I forgot to mention the delights of the Horn Dogs (Horns, with cymballed bass drum and Snare drum, a set up I’d not seen before) and the wonderful Rocket Science (jazz/rock) whom I’m pleased to say I discovered for myself long before my jazz days. And two singers with them, and one used her voice as a musical instrument when singing with the band. Must try that soon.
Ann Alex

No comments :

Blog Archive