Bebop Spoken There

John McLaughlin: ''It was then that Coltrane came along and single-handedly brought this dimension of spirituality into jazz. It was a pivotal experience to me.'' (DownBeat September, 2026)

The Things They Say!

This is a good opportunity to say thanks to BSH for their support of the jazz scene in the North East (and beyond) - it's no exaggeration to say that if it wasn't for them many, many fine musicians, bands and projects across a huge cross section of jazz wouldn't be getting reviewed at all, because we're in the "desolate"(!) North. (M & SSBB on F/book 23/12/24)

Postage

18947 (and counting) posts since we started blogging 18 years ago. 811 of them this year alone and, so far this month (Sept. 28.) 90.

Reviewers wanted

Whilst BSH attempts to cover as many gigs, festivals and albums as possible, to make the site even more comprehensive we need more 'boots on the ground' to cover the albums seeking review - a large percentage of which never get heard - report on gigs or just to air your views on anything jazz related. Interested? then please get in touch. Contact details are on the blog. Look forward to hearing from you. Lance

From This Moment On

September.

Wed 30: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Wed 30: Darlington Big Band @ The Traveller's Rest, Cockerton, Darlington. 7:00pm. Free. For one week only the rehearsal night will be at the Traveller's Rest (open to the public).
Wed 30: Tenderly: The Life & Times of Nat ‘King’ Cole @ The Hearth, Horsley. 7:30pm. £15.00., £12.00. (Early Bird advance ticket), £10.00. Off-Broadway production feat. Duane Forrest.
Wed 30: Take it to the Bridge @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free.
Wed 30: New Ways of Moving in the Counterworlds + Juliana Day & Manon McCoy + Helen Anahita Wilson @ The Glasshouse, Gateshead. 8:00pm. A BBC Introducing-Newcastle Festival of Jazz & Improvised Music event.

October

Thu 01: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ The Millstone, Mill Rise, South Gosforth, Newcastle. 1:00pm. Free.
Thu 01: Rivkala @ King’s Hall, Newcastle University. 1:15pm. Free.
Thu 01: Jazz Appreciation North East @ Brunswick Methodist Church, Newcastle NE1 7BJ. 2:00pm. £5.00.
Thu 01: Hot Club de Heaton @ Newcastle Arts Centre. 7:30pm. Free (donations).
Thu 01: The Scenic Route @ Dorman’s Club, Middlesbrough. 8:30pm. Free.

Fri 02: Alison Gill + Markrokosmos @ The Lit & Phil, Newcastle. 1:00pm. Newcastle Festival of Jazz & Improvised Music (NFOJAIM).
Fri 02: Classic Swing @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 02: Rendezvous Jazz @ The Monkseaton Arms. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 02: New Orleans Preservation Jazz Band @ The Oxbridge Hotel, Stockton. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 02: Gilby & Hunter + Andy Champion @ The Lit & Phil, Newcastle. 6:00pm. NFOJAIM.
Fri 02: Abbie Finn Quartet @ Saltburn Community Hall. 7:30pm. The Abbie Finn Trio augmented by Dean Stockdale (piano).
Fri 02: Alexia Gardner Trio @ Warkworth Memorial Hall. 7:30pm. £15.00.
Fri 02: Zoe Rahman Trio @ The Lit & Phil, Newcastle. 8:00pm. NFOJAIM. SOLD OUT!

Sat 03: New Orleans Ragtime Band @ St Augustine’s Parish Centre, Darlington. 12:30pm. £10.00. Darlington New Orleans Jazz Club. Gavin Lee & co.
Sat 03: Anemone Quartet + Jeepe Zeeburg @ The Lit & Phil, Newcastle. 1:00pm. NFOJAIM.
Sat 03: Play Jazz! workshop @ The Globe, Newcastle. 1:30pm. £27.50. Tutor: Steve Glendinning. Caravan. Enrol at: learning@jazz.coop.
Sat 03: Struggle Buggy @ The Peacock, Sunderland. 6:00pm. Free. Excellent blues band.
Sat 03: Bright Street Big Band @ Washington Arts Centre. 6:30pm. £12.50 (inc. bf). Two sets: 7:30-8:15pm & 8:45-9:30pm. ‘Swing Band Dance Night’.
Sat 03: Olie Brice Quartet + Alexander Hawkins + Harper Trio @ The Lit & Phil, Newcastle. 7:00pm. NFOJAIM.
Sat 03: Rendezvous Jazz @ The Red Lion, Earsdon. 8:00pm. £3.00.

Sun 04: Tees Bay Swing Band @ Heugh Battery, Hartlepool. 11:00am-12 noon & 1:00-2:00pm.
Sun 04: Smokin’ Spitfires @ The Cluny, Newcastle. 12:45pm. £10.00.
Sun 04: Ian Bosworth Quintet @ Chapel, Middlesbrough. 1:00pm. Free. Quintet w. special guest Bill Watson (trumpet).
Sun 04: Sax Choir w. Rachel Musson @ The Globe, Newcastle. 2:00pm. Free.
Sun 04: Rivkala + Ceitidh Mac + Thatcher & Knowles @ The Globe, Newcastle. 2:30pm. A NFOJAIM event.
Sun 04: Ruth Lambert Trio @ The Juke Shed, North Shields. 3:00pm. Free. RESCHEDULED from September 27.
Sun 04: 4B @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 3:00pm. Free.
Sun 04: NUJO Jazz Jam @ Cobalt Studios, Newcastle. 7:00pm. £3.00.

Mon 05: Saltburn Big Band @ Saltburn House Hotel. 7:00-9:00pm. Free. Rehearsal session (open to the public).

Tue 06: Alan Law @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 2:00pm. Free. Alan Law (piano) w. Paul Grainger (double bass).
Tue 06: Jam session @ The Black Swan, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free. House trio: Murray Oak, Paul Grainger, John Bradford.
Tue 06: Customs House Big Band @ The Masonic Hall, Ferryhill. 7:30pm. Free.
Tue 06: Black is the Color of My Voice @ Northern Stage, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Apphia Campbell’s one-woman stage play inspired by Nina Simone. First night of two.

Tuesday, April 19, 2022

A message from Mike

I received this Facebook message from Mike Carton that I'm sure he won't mind me sharing.

The photo, taken by myself on June 6, 1982, at Jesmond Dene shows Mike on trombone along with Bill Smith (tenor sax); Peter Gascoigne (trumpet; Ray Brown (drums); Mike Gilby (bass guitar) and Roy Willis (guitar) - The Saratoga Jazzmen. Lance

Hello Lance , I often look on BSH to see what's happening in the North East. I spent many happy years there before moving to Leeds to teach on the Jazz course at the Leeds College of Music. I've been in US since 2000, but am intending returning to the NorthEast sometime within the next twelve months. Still playing [trombone]. Say hello to anyone from those "Jazz Bandit / Saratoga Jazzmen days/daze. I hope to be over for this year's Remembrance Day in Sunderland on a sort of exploratory visit. Mike Carton

5 comments :

Michael [ Mike ] Carton said...

Hi Lance , Thanks for posting my note . The drummer on the photograph is Ernie Jackson . I recall the gig . Later that evening we played at the Corner House . Good memories for me . Love to all . See y'all in October ,

Lance said...

Checking again, you're right Mike - not Ray Brown. At least this puts the percentage up a little higher of those who are still with us!

Mike Carton said...

Hello Lance, I'm still in the States. I must have done something wicked as a child!! Still playing too. Not. quite as fiercely as I once did. I'm not always as good as I once was; but I'm good once as I always was. I heard about Don Fairley, Ray Chester, Stan Coates, Rick Taylor, Pete Stuart., Mike Gilby, Peter Gascoigne .... the list goes on and on. ...
I intend being in the North East sometime later this year [ I should never have left]. Please pass my regards on to all the usual suspects especially Lewis Watson, although not many of the younger ones will ever have heard of me!
I see Zoe Gilby/Champion is doing great things. I met her when she was eleven years old, when I asked her what she wanted to be when she grew up she said, " Jazz singer". I'll be in touch once I get myself sorted out for the trip. All the best to everyone.

Mike Carton said...

Hello Lance, The best laid plans of mice and men..... ? Problems/issues on this side of the Pond with the renewal of US residency papers. Pretty much par for the course with govt agencies everywhere, I suppose. Been waiting since December 2024 !! expecting another [official] 8 to 14 months wait. I haven't forgotten my thoughts on visiting the North East!!
... and this is the country which put a man on the Moon!!!
Still playing trombone, whether they like it or not.
The locals regard me as their 'foreign eccentric'. Standing by the roadside last Christmas Eve, playing 'Jingle Bells etc. during a snowstorm, whilst wearing a T shirt, shorts and flipflops caused my neighbo(u)rs some concern. One old dear asked me if I was cold!! " Of course I'm cold, it's snowing and I forgot to put on my socks". No sense of fun, these former Colonists, eh?
Love to all who keep the flame alight.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike, I still have your Olds Super Tenor Trombone you kindly sold to my parents back in the 80's when we played in South Tyneside Stage band on Saturdays, I would to hand this back to you whenever you do make it back over to the UK.

Would love to catch up, Alan

bravey9@gmail.com

Chers

Blog Archive