
Anyone at this concert in 1953? And who were the members of the Alan Nicholson Swingtette? All of this for half a crown - 12½p!Lance.
Photo on the right from Edinburgh jazz festival,
For the past eighteen years we've been updating the world about jazz in the north east of England and updating the north east of England about jazz in the world. WINNER of the Jazz Media Category in the 2018 All Party Parliamentary Jazz Awards. Contact lanceliddle@gmail.com
October.
Wed 07: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Wed 07: Darlington Big Band @ Darlington & Simpson Rolling Mills Social Club, Darlington. 7:00pm. Free. Rehearsal session (open to the public).
Wed 07: Take it to the Bridge @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free.
Wed 07: Black is the Color of My Voice @ Northern Stage, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Apphia Campbell’s one-woman stage play inspired by Nina Simone. Second night of two.
Thu 08: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ The Millstone, Mill Rise, South Gosforth, Newcastle. 1:00pm. Free.
Thu 08: Pete Tanton’s Chet Set @ Newcastle Arts Centre. 7:30pm. Free (donations).
Thu 08: Indigo Jazz Voices w. Little Big Band @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:45pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Dean Stockdale Trio @ Bishop Auckland Methodist Church. 1:00pm. £9.00. Dean Stockdale (piano); Mick Shoulder (double bass); John Bradford (drums).
Fri 09: John Rowland Trio @ Jesmond Library, Newcastle. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Classic Swing @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: Rendezvous Jazz @ The Monkseaton Arms. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: New Orleans Preservation Jazz Band @ The Oxbridge Hotel, Stockton. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Shalala @ The Globe, Newcastle.
Sat 10: Catfish Keith @ Cluny 2, Newcastle. 7:30pm (doors). £19.00. + bf. Jumpin’ Hot Club.
Sun 11: Am Jam @ The Globe, Newcastle. 2:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Michael Young Trio @ The Engine Room, Sunderland. 2:30pm. Free. Feat. guest Jack ‘Banjo’ Courtney (trumpet).
Sun 11: 4B @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 3:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Harry Christelis Quartet @ The Globe, Newcastle. 8:00pm. A Jazz Co-op-JNE co-promotion.
Mon 12: Jack Pearce Quintet @ Yamaha Music School, Blyth. 1:00pm.
Mon 12: Friends of Jazz @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Tue 13: Alan Law @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 2:00pm. Free. Alan Law (piano) w. Julija Jacenaite (vocals).
6 comments :
Hi Lance,I'm sure i was at this concert with a drummer mate of mine & Alan Nicholsons Swingtette probably had his brother Billy on trumpet but i can't remember the rest of the group.
Listen to him with Pres., wonderful pianist.
Just been listening to him with the Benny Goodman Quartet, Great!
I remember the concert but, because I had school the next day, my parents wouldn't let me go. I did however, hear Teddy with Dave Shepherd at Edinburgh in the early '80s and he was superb.
The late Mick Potts of the Gateway Jazzband told me that Teddy always stayed with him when he played Carlisle. Like Mick, Teddy was fond of a tipple. Apparently, without fail, the household would be awakened by a crash in the middle of the night when Teddy fell out of bed, loaded, although he couldn't remember anything about it the next day. I, too, saw Teddy at the Dragonara Hotel in Edinburgh in the early 1980's, playing as immaculately as ever.
The future award winning film directer Mike Figgis was a regular customer when I worked in JG Windows music shop. His father was a big jazz fan and he had, I knew, a pile somewhere out west. Figgis senior came into Windows one day and said "I'm throwing a party on Saturday night. Teddy Wilson will be playing. Do come along." It was only after he'd left that I realised I hadn't a clue where he lived! and so I never got to actually meet Teddy Wilson.
Post a Comment