Bebop Spoken There

John McLaughlin: ''It was then that Colltrane came along and single-handedly brought this dimension of spirituality into jazz. It was a pivotal experience to me.'' (DownBeat September, 2026)

The Things They Say!

This is a good opportunity to say thanks to BSH for their support of the jazz scene in the North East (and beyond) - it's no exaggeration to say that if it wasn't for them many, many fine musicians, bands and projects across a huge cross section of jazz wouldn't be getting reviewed at all, because we're in the "desolate"(!) North. (M & SSBB on F/book 23/12/24)

Postage

18947 (and counting) posts since we started blogging 18 years ago. 811 of them this year alone and, so far this month (Sept. 28.) 90.

Reviewers wanted

Whilst BSH attempts to cover as many gigs, festivals and albums as possible, to make the site even more comprehensive we need more 'boots on the ground' to cover the albums seeking review - a large percentage of which never get heard - report on gigs or just to air your views on anything jazz related. Interested? then please get in touch. Contact details are on the blog. Look forward to hearing from you. Lance

From This Moment On

September.

Mon 28: Friends of Jazz @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.

Tue 29: Tenderly: The Life & Times of Nat ‘King’ Cole @ Hepscott Parish Hall. 7:30pm. . £15.00., £12.00. (Early Bird advance ticket), £10.00. Off-Broadway production feat. Duane Forrest.
Tue 29: Red Kites Jazz @ The Black Swan, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free.

Wed 30: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Wed 30: Darlington Big Band @ The Traveller's Rest, Cockerton, Darlington. 7:00pm. Free. For one week only the rehearsal night will be at the Traveller's Rest (open to the public).
Wed 30: Tenderly: The Life & Times of Nat ‘King’ Cole @ The Hearth, Horsley. 7:30pm. £15.00., £12.00. (Early Bird advance ticket), £10.00. Off-Broadway production feat. Duane Forrest.
Wed 30: Take it to the Bridge @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free.
Wed 30: New Ways of Moving in the Counterworlds + Juliana Day & Manon McCoy + Helen Anahita Wilson @ The Glasshouse, Gateshead. 8:00pm. A BBC Introducing-Newcastle Festival of Jazz & Improvised Music event.

October

Thu 01: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ The Millstone, Mill Rise, South Gosforth, Newcastle. 1:00pm. Free.
Thu 01: Rivkala @ King’s Hall, Newcastle University. 1:15pm. Free.
Thu 01: Jazz Appreciation North East @ Brunswick Methodist Church, Newcastle NE1 7BJ. 2:00pm. £5.00.
Thu 01: Hot Club de Heaton @ Newcastle Arts Centre. 7:30pm. Free (donations).
Thu 01: The Scenic Route @ Dorman’s Club, Middlesbrough. 8:30pm. Free.

Fri 02: Alison Gill + Markrokosmos @ The Lit & Phil, Newcastle. 1:00pm. Newcastle Festival of Jazz & Improvised Music (NFOJAIM).
Fri 02: Classic Swing @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 02: Rendezvous Jazz @ The Monkseaton Arms. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 02: New Orleans Preservation Jazz Band @ The Oxbridge Hotel, Stockton. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 02: Gilby & Hunter + Andy Champion @ The Lit & Phil, Newcastle. 6:00pm. NFOJAIM.
Fri 02: Abbie Finn Quartet @ Saltburn Community Hall. 7:30pm. The Abbie Finn Trio augmented by Dean Stockdale (piano).
Fri 02: Alexia Gardner Trio @ Warkworth Memorial Hall. 7:30pm. £15.00.
Fri 02: Zoe Rahman Trio @ The Lit & Phil, Newcastle. 8:00pm. NFOJAIM. SOLD OUT!

Sat 03: New Orleans Ragtime Band @ St Augustine’s Parish Centre, Darlington. 12:30pm. £10.00. Darlington New Orleans Jazz Club. Gavin Lee & co.
Sat 03: Anemone Quartet + Jeepe Zeeburg @ The Lit & Phil, Newcastle. 1:00pm. NFOJAIM.
Sat 03: Play Jazz! workshop @ The Globe, Newcastle. 1:30pm. £27.50. Tutor: Steve Glendinning. Caravan. Enrol at: learning@jazz.coop.
Sat 03: Struggle Buggy @ The Peacock, Sunderland. 6:00pm. Free. Excellent blues band.
Sat 03: Bright Street Big Band @ Washington Arts Centre. 6:30pm. £12.50 (inc. bf). Two sets: 7:30-8:15pm & 8:45-9:30pm. ‘Swing Band Dance Night’.
Sat 03: Olie Brice Quartet + Alexander Hawkins + Harper Trio @ The Lit & Phil, Newcastle. 7:00pm. NFOJAIM.
Sat 03: Rendezvous Jazz @ The Red Lion, Earsdon. 8:00pm. £3.00.

Sun 04: Tees Bay Swing Band @ Heugh Battery, Hartlepool. 11:00am-12 noon & 1:00-2:00pm.
Sun 04: Smokin’ Spitfires @ The Cluny, Newcastle. 12:45pm. £10.00.
Sun 04: Ian Bosworth Quintet @ Chapel, Middlesbrough. 1:00pm. Free. Quintet w. special guest Bill Watson (trumpet).
Sun 04: Sax Choir w. Rachel Musson @ The Globe, Newcastle. 2:00pm. Free.
Sun 04: Rivkala + Ceitidh Mac + Thatcher & Knowles @ The Globe, Newcastle. 2:30pm. A NFOJAIM event.
Sun 04: Ruth Lambert Trio @ The Juke Shed, North Shields. 3:00pm. Free. RESCHEDULED from September 27.
Sun 04: 4B @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 3:00pm. Free.
Sun 04: NUJO Jazz Jam @ Cobalt Studios, Newcastle. 7:00pm. £3.00.

Thursday, June 18, 2020

Dame Vera Lynn (1917 - 2020)

Vera Lynn seemed timeless, almost immortal, wars and pandemics may come and go but "Our Vera" would always be there to remind us that we'll meet again. Well we may or may not meet again, certainly not in the way the song she was so associated with would have wanted us to do, but her passing earlier today served as a reminder of the rich legacy she left behind. Not just as a singer but as a person.


True her jazz connections were at the best peripheral although she did sing with Ambrose when it was regarded as the number one British band in the pre-war years and her husband did play sax and clarinet in that band.

Her career needs no further elaboration here. I doubt if there is a person living who will say "Vera who?" And, if there is, the countless obituaries that are already springing up will soon rectify that lack of knowledge.

Dame Vera Lynn, died on June 18 aged 103

Sadly missed may you rest in peace dear legend.
Lance
PS: Photo by Alamy shows Dame Vera with Joe Loss and Glenn Miller.

9 comments :

Steve T said...

We really don't make enough of these people, and not just people like Dame Vera and Churchill, who were never really in harm's way, but people like the FEW, without who most of us wouldn't exist, yet I don't even know how many are still alive, but I think you can count them on one hand. I sometimes imagine what it would be like if you were working a door somewhere and one of them turned up and you were expected to ask them for money.
I'm embarrassed when when people of my generation and older claim they worked hard for their retirement, unlike our parents swanning around the airfields waiting for the Luftwaffe or sunbathing on the Normandy beaches; or their parents partying in the trenches.
We all could do with a little humility.

Roly said...

I was born in 1946. I think our generation have been so very fortunate, in so many ways.
Roly

Steve T said...

That must be a mistake Roly; surely it was 1956.

Roly said...

Ah very kind Steve. Next time take a closer look!
R

Lance said...

I don't think Vera was out of harm's way performing in India and North Africa - she didn't get there by tube - and I certainly wasn't out of harm's way as two streets near where I lived were bombed and over thirty were killed. This was in 1941 and, even though I was 3 year old I don't remember it. Jarrow bus station now occupies the site and there is a commemorative plaque on the wall of the nearby Home Bargains.

Liz said...

I agree Lance, she went to Burma to entertain the troops, when very few others did that. She was an ordinary East End girl who was just at the right age to fill in that "Forces Sweetheart " role. I was born in East Ham as was she. I also have been in her company some years ago, and am in possession of a lovely letter from her. I am familiar with Ditchling where she has lived for many years. She was a familiar face to the village, and contributed to charities there. I also once stayed in her former home in Clayton which, at the time I stayed there, had become a Guest House. RIP

Lance said...

Well said Liz, her passing obviously meant a lot to you as it has done to so many. Although vocally Anne Shelton was my favourite back then I've always loved how Vera kept in the limelight over the years without really trying to.

Can anyone think of another singer who made it to 103?

Steve T said...

I don't think we should compare civilians - including politicians - with soldiers, sailors and airmen. I've no doubt Vera didn't get many home comforts in Burma, but doubt she saw much action in the jungle, which isn't to minimise her contribution, but I get sick of hearing about Churchill being the greatest Briton ever for delivering speeches.

Liz said...

Well I saw a programme yesterday by one of the Burma soldiers who got home, and he said she was right in the danger zone, sorry I cannot be more explicit. She simply went there because no other entertainers wanted to. She asked the authorities which was the least visited , and Burma was the answer, so off she went. As regards Churchill , in my opinion he was great orator. However, to each his own.

Blog Archive