Bebop Spoken There
Alan Luff: “The general view is that Ella’s songbook recordings are the supreme exemplars of sophistication, fine diction and creative voice in the wide field of popular music.” – (Jazz Journal May 2017).
Steve Voce: “Most of us have been crashed into by cretins who walk along the road absorbed in the screens of their mobile phones.” – (Jazz Journal May 2017).
Today Monday May 22
Thursday, March 03, 2016
CD Review: Jeff Williams – Outlier
- Miles Ahead at Tyneside Cinema!
- Tommy Smith to host Glasgow jazz summer school
- ACV @ The Black Swan, Newcastle - March 29
- CD Review: Ehud Asherie - Shuffle Along
- CD Review: Graeme Wilson Quartet – Sure Will Hold ...
- CD Review: Zhenya Strigalev – Never Group
- RIP David Baker
- CD Review: Eileen Howard - Big City Love
- Hong Kong Calling
- James Birkett and Bradley Johnston Jazz Guitar Duo...
- Charity Shopping - the New Junk Shopping
- CD Review: Leslie Pintchik - True North
- Dave Weisser & Alan Law @ The Jazz Café. March 25
- CD Review: Danny Green Trio - Altered Narratives
- Not Now Charlie @ The Globe - March 24
- At the Globe Tonight
- CD Review: Hans Koller – Retrospection
- CD Review: Gilles Peterson - Magic Peterson Sun Sh...
- Mo Scott Band @ The Jazz Café. March 22
- Northern Edition CD Compilation.
- Strictly Smokin’ Big Band @ Blaydon Jazz Club. Mar...
- Jazz Vocal Coup For Cherry Tree
- Jazz Co-op @ The Globe: Milne & Johnston Band: Mar...
- Vintage Chart Toppers Episode 4
- Ray Dales Quartet @ Ashington Jazz Club.
- Interview with Michael Lamb
- CD Review: Darren English - Imagine Nation.
- St Cuthbert’s Durham Beat
- Ushaw Ensemble – St. Cuthbert's Suite, Ushaw Colle...
- The Lindsay Hannon Plus @ The Jazz Café. March 18
- Grew Quartet + Grew Watts Duo + Grew Quintet @ Lit...
- And Even More GIJF - Lance talks to Simon Spillett...
- More on Gateshead International Jazz Festival
- Vintage Chart Toppers Episode 4 on Sunday (March 2...
- Gerry Richardson's Big Idea @ The Jazz Café - Marc...
- Terence Blanchard, Courtney Pine & Charles Bradley...
- RIP Frank Sinatra Jr.
- New release :Magnus Öström - Parachute.
- Mambo Jambo
- CD Review: Phronesis - Parallax.
- The Tube Revisited
- RIP Ernestine Anderson
- The Globe Spins Again
- TRIO HLK + TAUPE @ The Bridge Hotel – March 13
- BSH Talks to Alex Webb about Café Society Swing.
- This Thursday at the Jazz Café - Gerry Richardson'...
- RIP Naná Vasconcelos
- Vintage Chart Toppers Episode 3
- CD Review: Marcos Varela - San Ygnacio.
- The Early Bird Sessions @ The Lit & Phil. March 12...
- RIP Keith Emerson
- Svarc Hanley Longhawn @ The Jazz Café. March 11
- Motherese + Zoe Gilby Trio + Jennifer Parry @ The ...
- The Jazz Clams @ The Globe - March 10.
- Love For Sale: A Superb Song
- Treasure Trove revealed
- The Safe Sextet @ The Jazz Café - March 8
- CD Review: Ninna Milner: Songs For Sentient Beings...
- Great North Big Band Jazz Festival (Day 3) @ North...
- Great North Big Band Jazz Festival (Day 2) @ North...
- Book Review: Billie Holiday - The Musician and the...
- CD Review: Aki Rissanen Trio - Amorandom
- CD Review: Gabriela Martina - No White Shoes
- CD Review - Jazz @ The Spotted Dog, Birmingham
- Big Muddy @ The Globe - March 5
- Our Man On The Air In Hong Kong
- Jam Experiment @ The Jazz Café. March 4
- CD Review: Tommaso Starace/Michele Di Toro - From ...
- Get Carter @ Northern Stage
- CD Review: Jeff Williams – Outlier
- Alice Grace Quartet @ The Cherry Tree
- jazz plus productions
- Jazz Café Jam - March 1.
- America’s Jazz Times Honours Its Own
- CD Review: Aldevis Tibaldi London Jazz Ensemble - ...
- ▼ March ( 75 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)