![]() |
| Photos © Pam |
The final weekend of the tenth Newcastle Festival of Jazz and Improvised Music 2026 began with three sets, each approaching the music from different directions in the form of Alison Gill; Zoë Gilby and Johnny Hunter; Andy Champion and the Zoe Rahman Trio. All three sessions were sold out and I felt fortunate to have been present at the latter of the three. After the show I felt more than fortunate - I felt blessed!
I've heard Zoe Rahman several times over the years but it had been quite awhile since the last time and I'm now consigned to a life of regret thinking about the concerts I missed.
Last night helped to assuage those regrets. This was truly an evening to remember. Built around her six part composition Hull Suite Live and bookended by other works of art we heard just about every form of jazz piano from ragtime to raga (creating sitar sounds from the piano strings). All were incorporated into her own unique style. There's no one quite like her and with Calderazzo and Di Biase, the latter replacing Alec Dankworth, each adding their own 33.333% the room rocked, it sighed, it laughed, it cried. At times the tension was built so high it was almost unbearable - almost! We even sang Happy Birthday. I'm not sure who it was we were singing to - Andrea? Paul Bream? Ken Drew? it was all good fun.
It has become almost habitual to say 'Gig of the Year' an indication of what a very good year 2026 has been. Last night's session will be right up there in contention when judgement day arrives.
The final number, Stanley Turrentine's Cherry closed the show and I feared for the ceiling as the volume of applause threatened it. I left on a high - I'm still floating! Lance
P.S. Hull being the centerpiece of the show it seemed logical to make reference to 'Our Man in Hull' Roy Woodcock's review of the album. He captures the mood perfectly (see link below).

No comments :
Post a Comment