| © Richard Morris |
Neil Yates (trumpet and vocals); Liam Byrne (saxophones);
Andrew MacKenzie (trombone and vocals); Andy MacKenzie (guitar and
banjo)
Billed as trad jazz, the audience were treated to many of the songs and tunes from the New Orleans and Dixieland canon. It has been too long since I last came to the trad jazz evening at Llandudno Jazz Club.
All four musicians are regulars on the north-west
jazz circuit and all are band leaders in their own right.
| © Richard Morris |
Following a
break for pizza the second set opened with the Louis Armstrong song Struttin
with Some Barbecue - the title I was informed is a euphemism for taking a
nice looking young lady out for a walk. A raucous take on Papa Charlie
Jackson’s Shake That Thing was followed by I’ve Got the World on a String a song composed by Harold Arlen in 1932 and
later recorded by Frank Sinatra. Neil provided vocals on this song.
The pace
quickened with the upbeat Some of These Days written and composed by
Shelton Brooks and published in 1910. The concert concluded with the classic After
You’ve Gone featuring Andrew on trombone.
A terrific
concert with four high class musicians.
Live Jazz takes
place each Monday from 8pm at this venue which is a dog friendly and award
winning traditional rustic style pub The
Penrhyn Arms where the food is as good as the music. It has a large tropical
beer garden. Modern and traditional jazz
usually alternates each week. Next Monday 5 October will therefore be modern jazz.
Social media tells me a Quintet will include Neil Yates and saxophone player
Dean Masser with the rest of the band tba. Richard
Morris
Set list included:
Dr Jazz; Exactly Like You; The Love Nest; Honeysuckle Rose; I’ve Got a Feeling
I’m Falling; It Had to be You; St Louis Blues; Struttin with Some Barbecue; Shake
That Thing; I’ve Got the World on a String; Some of These Days; After You’ve Gone
Llandudno Jazz
Club, Penrhyn Arms, Pendre Road, Penrhynside,
Llandudno LL30 3BY
Facebook: The
Penrhyn Arms
Mondays @
8pm.£15 cash entry pp for Modern Jazz and £10 pp for Trad jazz, no booking
required but recommended if dining. Tel Mark on 07792 834707 to book a table.
No comments :
Post a Comment