| © Jeff Pritchard |
Frank
Griffith (tenor sax); Lee Hallam (trombone); Richard Wetherall (keyboards);
Dave Tomkins (double bass); Mike Hughes (drums)
Although this was only a five-piece band it sounded like a much larger unit due to Frank Griffith’s skilful arrangements.
Making his first appearance at the Moor Club was Lee Hallam who I last saw many years ago playing in trumpeter John Hulme's sextet at the Cheadle Hulme Club. He has a raucous playing style, a bit like Gary Valente or Ray Anderson which fitted well with the jazz-funk vibe of tonight's show. The set list contained material by composers such as Charlie Parker; Mario Bauza; Dexter Gordon; Nat Adderley; Peter Green and Billy Taylor.
Once again Richard Wetherall provided some earcatching solos and it was good to see Dave Tomkins laying down some fine solid basswork. I don't know a great deal about drummer Mike Hughes - he has been here before but as a vibes player.
One tune that I thought really interesting was Charlie Parker's Buzzy which Frank had arranged as a 12 bar blues with an extra 8 bars added on.
Another number that I have always liked
to hear was the Latin flavoured Soy
Califa by Dexter Gordon and it’s not an easy tune to play but Frank and Lee
nailed it. Lee was featured in a quieter mood on the bossa Triste
which I think was written by Jobim.
Frank is based in Liverpool and always uses top musicians in his bands. I hope he makes a speedy return to the Moor Club. Mike Farmer
No comments :
Post a Comment