Eleven originals by Paterson reflecting Sharp Little Bones' quest for a unique identity. I'm not sure they've quite got there yet. Nevertheless, it's a work in progress that is getting there - drawing inspiration from Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter and latter-day Miles along the way.
Difficult to single out any one player - everybody's spicing up the stew but...Tony Kofi is extra special. I've heard him many times on alto and once on baritone but this is the first time I can recall hearing him on tenor. In a year where the tenor sax has been dominant thanks to celebrations of the life and death of John Coltrane and Sonny Rollins, Kofi can hold his head high alongside such illustrious company. Fast and furious, tender and emotional or just somewhere in between, Kofi and his worthy constituents of Sharp Little Bones deliver the goods.
At the start of the album I called it 'a work in progress'. As it draws to a close - I tend to review 'in the moment' - I concluded that they had indeed achieved their aim and were probably already looking further forward and beyond. Watch this space. Lance
Album release date October 9. Launch concert @ Peggy's Skylight, Nottingham - October 17.
Trent Fields; Sola Mento; Step Up! Get Down!; Brie en Croute; Dream Creature; Snake Oil; Hook Up; Portman Pie; Sweet Bitter Crush; Crystallise; Lucidity

No comments :
Post a Comment