This won't be my album of the year - not by a long chalk. Yet, paradoxically, it could be the one I play most - particularly at a party where the booze is flowing and inhibitions have long gone down the pan.
Despite the detailed listing above I soon lost track of who played what on what (instrument). It didn't matter I was having too much fun listening.
It came in all guns blazing. I doubt if the Annapolis Valley of Nova Scotia has known anything like Exit 10! It's a jazz concept album that celebrating Ally Fiola's roots in the valley where each song is titled after an important location in her growing up.
A nostalgic narrative is woven through the fusion of her unique groove-jazz sound with elements of the East Coast music tradition, including tap dancing, fiddle, accordion, and the ocean. To my ears it sounds like a jazzed up version of River Dance which might be classed as an improvement. Of course it isn't all flash! Bang! Wallop! There are moments of gentle tranquility.Jah'Mila captures the essence of When Things End beautifully. Almost tear jerking.
I think I may just play it again - and again and again. Lance
Digital release date: Oct. 16. BANDCAMP.
English
Mountain; The Lookoff; Valley Drive in; Scott’s Bay; Wolfville; When Things End
No comments :
Post a Comment