Frank Griffith (tenor sax, clarinet);
Andor Jensen (baritone Sax); John Padfield (alto sax); Cliff Ray, Martin Smith (trumpet,
flugelhorn); Sam Crooks (trombone); Misha Grey (keyboards); Ed Harrison (double
bass); Eryl Roberts (drums)
With the exception of John Padfield who played on both gigs, this was a different line-up to the one that Frank brought with him on his last visit here. Although the only name new to me was trombonist Sam Crooks, some of the musicians involved in tonight's show were guys I have known for ages like Ed Harrison, one of the best bass players around, and some, like baritone saxman Andor Jensen, I met at a jam session at the Liner Hotel in Liverpool back in the day when I could drive. Although sometimes I'd take a bus to Liverpool from Manchester and stay in a hotel if I knew of a jam session happening.
One thing that puzzled me about tonight was the low turnout for a show of this standard. I did notice that after the interval the overall sound balance seemed to improve somewhat. I mentioned this to a couple of people sitting nearby and they agreed. I am a big fan of Frank's clarinet work and this was well featured in both sets along with great arrangements done by Frank, one of which was Intermission Riff which he did for the legendary Lionel Hampton. Also a big thank you to Frank for providing me with a copy of the set list for both sets. I think there was a tune that was played that wasn't listed, a feature for Ed Harrison's bass, So What?.
In case you may not have heard of Graham Brook he is the person who promotes jazz at Morley Green Club monthly on every second Tuesday. Tel 01625 528336 for info
Where or When; Funji Mama; I've
Grown Accustomed to Her Face; Dolphin Dance; The Chicken; Edward ?; Intermission
Riff; So What?; Music to Watch; The Moon Was Yellow; Godchild; How Deep Is The
Ocean?;Lester Leaps In; Tequila; C Jam Blues;
No comments :
Post a Comment