Theme For Ernie: Not sure which Ernie Garzone refers to but it's a plaintive duet between tenor and piano. An attempt (successful) to relate to the proactive energy of John Coltrane and the tonal beauty of Stan Getz. The same instrument yet poles apart in their quest for perfection. Different roads, same destination. Garzone and Perdomo do likewise.
U-Jaama: An Archie Shepp composition that has the whole gang present with Brecker stretching out left right and centre - the sky's the limit. Garzone too hits the spot with every cascade of notes and angular phrases. "Tain" is no shrinking violet either. It's boppier than anything I ever heard Shepp play.
It Will Happen to You: I'm sure you'll work out from the title where this one comes from! More blistering tenor and trumpet pyrotechnics with bass and drums ensuring the whole kaboosh swings - Trane and Dizzy spring to mind.
Ripty Boom: Composed by Debriano, all five stretch out on what is described as a blues in 6/8. Don't know what it the title means. Who does apart from the composer and he's keeping shtum? I think it's absolutely hunky dory!
Giant Steps: There's little resemblance to Trane's classic recording. Instead Garzone and "Tain" share the honours improvising freely without referencing the theme until almost time gentleman please is called. Wow!
Just Ring the Bell: I'm supposed to know this tune but I'm not sure I do. Garzone seems to know it well and Debriano also solos with authority.
Mingus That I Knew: Inspired by a strange meeting with Mingus. It was at a concert and Garzone turned to tell the person sitting behind him to put out his cigar. Turns out it was Mingus and Garzone lived to tell the tale and compose this masterpiece which would have been worthy of the great man himself. All five impress. It has that minor theme so typical of Mingus.
To Michael Brecker: An emotional tribute to the late Michael Brecker made all the more poignant with Michael's brother Randy being part of the recording.
It's quite an album and it hits the virtual street tomorrow (Sept. 11). Lance

No comments :
Post a Comment