Bebop Spoken There

John McLaughlin: ''It was then that Coltrane came along and single-handedly brought this dimension of spirituality into jazz. It was a pivotal experience to me.'' (DownBeat September, 2026)

The Things They Say!

This is a good opportunity to say thanks to BSH for their support of the jazz scene in the North East (and beyond) - it's no exaggeration to say that if it wasn't for them many, many fine musicians, bands and projects across a huge cross section of jazz wouldn't be getting reviewed at all, because we're in the "desolate"(!) North. (M & SSBB on F/book 23/12/24)

Postage

18957 (and counting) posts since we started blogging 18 years ago. 821 of them this year alone and, so far this month (Sept. 30.) 100.

Reviewers wanted

Whilst BSH attempts to cover as many gigs, festivals and albums as possible, to make the site even more comprehensive we need more 'boots on the ground' to cover the albums seeking review - a large percentage of which never get heard - report on gigs or just to air your views on anything jazz related. Interested? then please get in touch. Contact details are on the blog. Look forward to hearing from you. Lance

From This Moment On

October.

Wed 07: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free. Wed 07: Darlington Big Band @ Darlington & Simpson Rolling Mills Social Club, Darlington. 7:00pm. Free. Rehearsal session (open to the public).
Wed 07: Take it to the Bridge @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free.
Wed 07: Black is the Color of My Voice @ Northern Stage, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Apphia Campbell’s one-woman stage play inspired by Nina Simone. Second night of two.

Thu 08: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ The Millstone, Mill Rise, South Gosforth, Newcastle. 1:00pm. Free.
Thu 08: Pete Tanton’s Chet Set @ Newcastle Arts Centre. 7:30pm. Free (donations).
Thu 08: Indigo Jazz Voices w. Little Big Band @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:45pm. £5.00.

Fri 09: Dean Stockdale Trio @ Bishop Auckland Methodist Church. 1:00pm. £9.00. Dean Stockdale (piano); Mick Shoulder (double bass); John Bradford (drums).
Fri 09: John Rowland Trio @ Jesmond Library, Newcastle. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Classic Swing @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: Rendezvous Jazz @ The Monkseaton Arms. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: New Orleans Preservation Jazz Band @ The Oxbridge Hotel, Stockton. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Shalala @ The Globe, Newcastle.

Sat 10: Catfish Keith @ Cluny 2, Newcastle. 7:30pm (doors). £19.00. + bf. Jumpin’ Hot Club.

Sun 11: Am Jam @ The Globe, Newcastle. 2:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Michael Young Trio @ The Engine Room, Sunderland. 2:30pm. Free. Feat. guest Jack ‘Banjo’ Courtney (trumpet).
Sun 11: 4B @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 3:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Harry Christelis Quartet @ The Globe, Newcastle. 8:00pm. A Jazz Co-op-JNE co-promotion.

Mon 12: Jack Pearce Quintet @ Yamaha Music School, Blyth. 1:00pm.
Mon 12: Friends of Jazz @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.

Tue 13: Alan Law @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 2:00pm. Free. Alan Law (piano) w. Julija Jacenaite (vocals).

Monday, January 20, 2025

R.I.P. Kenny Kirsopp (1962 - Jan. 19, 2025)

Last night I was told that north east sax player Kenny Kirsopp was seriously ill. I was shocked then and, when I learned this afternoon that he'd actually died last night (Jan. 19), I was completely stunned.

Although I knew his parents well (family friends and, like my parents, members of Hebburn Amateur Operatic Society) it wasn't until Kenny enrolled at Newcastle's prestigious College of Arts and Technology (CAT) that I really got to know him, mainly from when he came into J.G. Windows buying reeds and various other sax accessories.

I watched his progress over the years as he advanced from local jam sessions to becoming somewhat of a name on South Tyneside as Kenny The Sax as well as playing with various rock/blues bands.

I lost touch with him for some years but caught up with him again in 2011 at the Sunday lunchtime blues session at Gateshead's Central Bar where he often appeared blowing wild tenor and alto with The Skywalkers (see photo at top).   

In 2023 he was a member of General Mojo and made a memorable appearance at the wake that followed the funeral of his long time musical associate Dave Weisser. The previous year he'd played at Dave's birthday party (see photo left).

So many people will have so many memories of a man who was not only a great musician but a great character in an age when great characters in jazz are becoming more and more rare.

Kenny Kirsopp will be sadly missed. Lance

8 comments :

Anonymous said...

Kenneth Kirsopp was my cousin and I had lost touch with him over the years as I travelled oversea for some 50+ years, Kenneth has a sisters called Pauline and again I have lost touch, if anyone has a contact number for her please call me on 07951525033 thank you in advance John Shearer

Lance said...

Kenny's son Chris is on Facebook. He should be able to help.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Lance but I have spoken with Pauline and have her Number also, I have never been on FaceBook

Anonymous said...

I remember following kenny and his band the ant hill mob in the early 90s great player and what a character ! 👏 a great miss for the north east !

Anonymous said...

Any funeral arrangements known yet?

Lance said...

Not yet.

Anonymous said...

Any word on funeral arrangements yet?

Anonymous said...

Hi all the funeral is on the 19th 2:45 at south shields crem

Blog Archive