Bebop Spoken There

John McLaughlin: ''It was then that Coltrane came along and single-handedly brought this dimension of spirituality into jazz. It was a pivotal experience to me.'' (DownBeat September, 2026)

The Things They Say!

This is a good opportunity to say thanks to BSH for their support of the jazz scene in the North East (and beyond) - it's no exaggeration to say that if it wasn't for them many, many fine musicians, bands and projects across a huge cross section of jazz wouldn't be getting reviewed at all, because we're in the "desolate"(!) North. (M & SSBB on F/book 23/12/24)

Postage

18957 (and counting) posts since we started blogging 18 years ago. 821 of them this year alone and, so far this month (Sept. 30.) 100.

Reviewers wanted

Whilst BSH attempts to cover as many gigs, festivals and albums as possible, to make the site even more comprehensive we need more 'boots on the ground' to cover the albums seeking review - a large percentage of which never get heard - report on gigs or just to air your views on anything jazz related. Interested? then please get in touch. Contact details are on the blog. Look forward to hearing from you. Lance

From This Moment On

October.

Thu 08: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ The Millstone, Mill Rise, South Gosforth, Newcastle. 1:00pm. Free.
Thu 08: Pete Tanton’s Chet Set @ Newcastle Arts Centre. 7:30pm. Free (donations).
Thu 08: Indigo Jazz Voices w. Little Big Band @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:45pm. £5.00.

Fri 09: Dean Stockdale Trio @ Bishop Auckland Methodist Church. 1:00pm. £9.00. Dean Stockdale (piano); Mick Shoulder (double bass); John Bradford (drums).
Fri 09: John Rowland Trio @ Jesmond Library, Newcastle. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Classic Swing @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: Rendezvous Jazz @ The Monkseaton Arms. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: New Orleans Preservation Jazz Band @ The Oxbridge Hotel, Stockton. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Shalala @ The Globe, Newcastle.

Sat 10: Catfish Keith @ Cluny 2, Newcastle. 7:30pm (doors). £19.00. + bf. Jumpin’ Hot Club.

Sun 11: Am Jam @ The Globe, Newcastle. 2:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Michael Young Trio @ The Engine Room, Sunderland. 2:30pm. Free. Feat. guest Jack ‘Banjo’ Courtney (trumpet).
Sun 11: 4B @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 3:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Harry Christelis Quartet @ The Globe, Newcastle. 8:00pm. A Jazz Co-op-JNE co-promotion.

Mon 12: Jack Pearce Quintet @ Yamaha Music School, Blyth. 1:00pm.
Mon 12: Friends of Jazz @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.

Tue 13: Alan Law @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 2:00pm. Free. Alan Law (piano) w. Julija Jacenaite (vocals).

Wed 14: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Wed 14: Darlington Big Band @ Darlington & Simpson Rolling Mills Social Club, Darlington. 7:00pm. Free. Rehearsal session (open to the public).
Wed 14: Jam session @ The Tannery, Hexham. 7:00pm. Free.
Wed 14: Take it to the Bridge @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free.
Wed 14: NW FRQNC @ Pilgrim, Newcastle. 7:30pm. £15.00. Selina Albright, Gianni Vancini.
Wed 14: Jacob Egglestone Trio @ Elder Beer, Heaton, Newcastle. 8:00pm. £12.00. JNE.

Monday, January 03, 2022

All the cats join in - Part Two

It's no secret that myself and some others in the jazz fraternity are cat people. The heading of this post relates to a Disney cartoon - Make Mine Music -featuring the music of Benny Goodman. It was also the title of one of Buck Clayton's legendary jam session albums (see previous post).


The above pic shows the late Ebony playing some licks on clarinet, my present cat Daphne reading JazzTimes and Ginger, her predecessor, reading DownBeat.

Tony Roberts tells me his cat's previous owners named Sid after a nasty punk rocker. Tony loves both Count Basie and Stan Kenton but Sid is more selective. If Tony puts on a Basie record Sid likes to sit on one of the speakers but if it's a Kenton record Sid can't get through the cat flap fast enough!

Some cats know which gives a lead in to Peggy Lee and Zoë Gilby who both gave Some Cats Know a workout and Pegs also hit for a lifetime supply of Whiskers with He's a Tramp.

I recall Zoë's mum Hilary mentioning that she'd once told Dizzy Gillespie that she'd named her cat after him. Dizzy was flattered and I bet the pussy cat was too!

I found this one on Pete Tanton's F/b page - hope he doesn't mind - of his lovely cat Harris.

Wingy Manone recorded Stop the War Them Cats Are Killing Themselves. 


Here's Jen Errington's cat Duke. Duke Errington, get it?

Cats may be cool, purring creatures but I think my cat Daphne would give any pit bull one helluva fight - I've got the scars to prove it! Lance

4 comments :

Russell said...

Did Cat Anderson have a dog?

Lance said...

When Cat hit those double top Cs dogs ran for cover and the crystal was locked away!

Ann Alex said...

Lovely cat photos. My cat Plato 1978-1993 only ever heard folk music as I wasn't then into jazz. Good to see Jen's cat which is beautiful, as I've heard a lot about Duke.
Lance you could run a competition about what the cats are thinking eg Pete Tanton's cat is thinking 'I don't like that chord that he's playing!'

Jen said...

Hi Ann
Good to hear from you. Yes I still can't believe how handsome Duke is!" I've just sent a picture to Lance with the keyboard Duke has just finishing playing - he's exhausted lounging on the back of the chair. One of his favourite songs is "I've got my love to keep me Warm" I paid tribute to that at our IJV gig in December - I've got my Duke to Keep me, I've got my Duke to keep me, I've got my Duke...to...keep...me....Warm.

Hopefully more of Lance's stories on Cats still to come.
HAPPY NEW YEAR

Blog Archive