Bebop Spoken There

John McLaughlin: ''It was then that Coltrane came along and single-handedly brought this dimension of spirituality into jazz. It was a pivotal experience to me.'' (DownBeat September, 2026)

The Things They Say!

This is a good opportunity to say thanks to BSH for their support of the jazz scene in the North East (and beyond) - it's no exaggeration to say that if it wasn't for them many, many fine musicians, bands and projects across a huge cross section of jazz wouldn't be getting reviewed at all, because we're in the "desolate"(!) North. (M & SSBB on F/book 23/12/24)

Postage

18992 (and counting) posts since we started blogging 18 years ago. 856 of them this year alone and, so far this month (Oct. 11) 35.

Reviewers wanted

Whilst BSH attempts to cover as many gigs, festivals and albums as possible, to make the site even more comprehensive we need more 'boots on the ground' to cover the albums seeking review - a large percentage of which never get heard - report on gigs or just to air your views on anything jazz related. Interested? then please get in touch. Contact details are on the blog. Look forward to hearing from you. Lance

From This Moment On

October.

Mon 12: Jack Pearce Quintet @ Yamaha Music School, Blyth. 1:00pm.
Mon 12: Friends of Jazz @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.

Tue 13: Alan Law @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 2:00pm. Free. Alan Law (piano) w. Julija Jacenaite (vocals).

Wed 14: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Wed 14: A Night of Stevie Wonder @ Holy GrAle, Durham. 4:45pm. £3.00.; £2.50. A Durham University Jazz Society event.
Wed 14: Darlington Big Band @ Darlington & Simpson Rolling Mills Social Club, Darlington. 7:00pm. Free. Rehearsal session (open to the public).
Wed 14: Jam session @ The Tannery, Hexham. 7:00pm. Free.
Wed 14: Take it to the Bridge @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free.
Wed 14: A Night of Stevie Wonder @ Holy GrAle, Durham. 7:30pm. £3.00.; £2.50. A Durham University Jazz Society event.
Wed 14: NW FRQNC @ Pilgrim, Newcastle. 7:30pm. £15.00. Selina Albright, Gianni Vancini.
Wed 14: Jacob Egglestone Trio @ Elder Beer, Heaton, Newcastle. 8:00pm. £12.00. JNE.

Thu 15: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ The Millstone, Mill Rise, South Gosforth, Newcastle. 1:00pm. Free.
Thu 15: Jazz Appreciation North East @ Brunswick Methodist Church, Newcastle NE1 7BJ. 2:00pm. £5.00.
Thu 15: Leah Kirk: A Strange Affair @ Newcastle Arts Centre. 7:30pm. Free (donations). Leah Kirk (vocals); Alan Law (keyboards); Paul Grainger (double bass).
Thu 15: Jeremy McMurray’s Pocket Jazz Orchestra @ Arc, Stockton. 8:00pm. PJO w. guest Graham Hardy (trumpet).

Fri 16: Classic Swing @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 16: Rendezvous Jazz @ The Monkseaton Arms. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 16: New Orleans Preservation Jazz Band @ The Oxbridge Hotel, Stockton. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 16: Ancient Infinity Orchestra @ Cobalt Studios, Newcastle. 7:00pm.
Fri 16: Lindsay Hannon: Tom Waits for No Man @ Sunderland Minster. 7:30pm. £13.01. adv.; £15.00. on the door. Old Black Cat Jazz Club.
Fri 16: Milne Glendinning Band @ Repas 7 by Night, West St., Berwick. 8:00pm. Free.

Sat 17: SunOrbitUs @ Culture House, Sunderland. 11:00am - 5:00pm. Closing event in a year-long piece of music. 11:00am-1:00pm Improvisation workshop w. Faye MacCalman; 2:00-5:00pm Collective Improvised Performance by Sunderland residents. SOLD OUT!
Sat 17: Tees Bay Swing Band @ Blacksmith’s Arms, Hartlepool. 1:30pm. Free. Open rehearsal.
Sat 17: Martin Taylor @ Bowes Museum, Barnard Castle. 7:30pm. £48.72; £43.37. Solo guitar. SOLD OUT!

Sun 18: 4B @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 3:00pm. Free.
Sun 18: Creakin’ Bones & the Sunday Dinners @ Tyne Bar, Newcastle. 4:00pm. Free. Jump jive.
Sun 18: Guisborough Big Band @ Redcar Rugby Club. 5:00-8:00pm. ‘Charity Big Band Birthday Bash’ in aid of Parkinson’s UK & Young Sounds UK. Free (donations on the door).
Sun 18: Martin Taylor @ The Glasshouse, Gateshead. 8:00pm. £23.30. Solo guitar.
Sun 18: Ben Crosland Quartet with Steve Waterman @ The Globe, Newcastle. 8:00pm.

Monday, February 10, 2014

Dear Bix and other Emotive Music

Saw your nice comment  on Dear Bix in Hoagy review - thanks for thinking of me . I got my guitar out and ran through it as I've not sung it for ages but I could pretty much remember the words. Must revive it as you suggest. Like you, I think its a lovely, very moving song. I first come across it on a great album 'Getting some fun out of life' by Dave Frishberg.  And dear Richie Kamuca sings it on another album I have.
It's an interesting topic - the question of songs with moving lyrics plus nice melody. I think the best examples that we love are some of the nicest forms of music in existence. Not just Gasbook - there's Schubert (I think he maybe thought this too) and just last night on TV we listened to the Everly Brothers concert at the Albert Hall back in 1983 when they got back together. Phil recently passed away. I  found it extremely moving to say the least and some of their songs are absolute gems.
I Googled some of the Everly songs just out of curiosity and came across the song writing team of Felice & Boudleaux Bryant. They wrote some really beautiful songs - so simple but sometimes attaining simple beauty is quite an elusive thing. Perhaps more so in jazz with the tendency to technical prowess and virtuosity.  
I recently got a June Tabor album, do you know of her?  She's a folkie but works with jazz musicians. Particularly a great pianist Huw Warren. Well - on this album she sings I'll be Seeing You and it's exquisite. That's a moving song too if handled right. And another song The Writing of Tipperary tells the story of It’s a Long Way to Tipperary then ends up with it of course. It was written for a wager. Then all the soldiers started singing it and you know the rest. Also on YouTube check out her singing Lilli Marlene.  She is very intense. If she gets to Sage Gateshead again I might go to hear her. I think she's great.
Roly.

2 comments :

Lance said...

Listening to Richie's version of Dear Bix I note Dave Frishberg is on piano so is it deffo Richie doing the vocal?
Also on the same disc is a wonderful Johnny Mercer tune - Harlem Butterfly. Susannah McCorkle did a great version of this in a tribute to JM - The Quality of Mercer.

Roly said...

Yes I think that's Richie singing. He also sang Tis Autumn on his final album. I agree about Harlem Butterfly - a Mercer gem. Rebecca Kilgore sang it beautifully on the Maxine Sullivan tribute CD with Bobby Gordon we mentioned recently (its so good they put two takes on the CD). I think it was a song Maxine Sullivan liked to sing.
Roly

Blog Archive