Total Pageviews

Bebop Spoken There

Dewey Redman: "When Trane came to Bop City in San Francisco and told me he liked the way I played, I stayed high off that forever." - (Downbeat June 1980.)

-----

Nick Brignola: “I got to talk to John Coltrane before he was John Coltrane!” – (Jazz Journal April 1991)

Archives.

Today Monday January 16

Afternoon.
Jazz in the Afternoon - Crescent Club, 1 Hudleston, Cullercoats NE30 3OS. 1pm. Free.
Evening.
???????
-----
To the best of our knowledge, details of the above events are correct but may be subject to alteration.

Monday, December 07, 2015

Andy Hudson Remembers a Night with Dave Brubeck and George Shearing

Dave Brubeck was a complete gent, fantastic to work with and the only issue he ever had was that the piano was what he expected it to be, which is not unreasonable given his trade.
The late, great, Brian Theobald, wit, partner in Ronnie Scott's and Jazz agent always said of Dave Brubeck - "one of the nicest guys in the business - only thing is, every time I try and tap my foot to his music, I break my bloody ankle!" This referred, of course, to his use of complex time Take 5 in 5/4, Unsquare Dance in 7/4, Blue Rondo a la Turk in 9/8 and the lesser known World's Fair in 13/4.
I had the delight to produce/promote him a number of times and he always delivered to the audience the show they expected. In the late ‘80s I put him on at the Festival Hall on a double bill with George Shearing, 2 sell-out shows, and asked the appropriate question...." Would they play a duet as the show's encore - They politely declined.
Unable to resist however, Dave took his final bow and stepped away from his Baldwin piano and George’s Bosendorfer was still on the stage with George sitting in the wings having been watching Dave's performance, I leapt upon Dave's Baldwin and started the Riff that was obviously the start of Take 5 - though with my playing it may have been Take 4 and a half. I asked the audience if they would like to hear them play together and the crowd went berserk.
The maestros both came on, Dave bumped me off the piano stool and carried on. George's wife led him on the stage and they played an impromptu 20 minute encore - running up overtime at the RFH but who cared?
In the green room after the show they both called me names, but admitted that they had an absolute blast.
A year later at the Nice Festival as I walked towards him, he (Dave) just said "NO" then grinned. Come to think of it - never saw a photo when he wasn't smiling. Lovely Guy.
RIP.
Andy Hudson.
Dave Brubeck died on Dec. 5, 2012 just one day short of his 92nd birthday.
George Shearing died on Feb. 14, 2011 - he too was 91.

1 comment :

  1. Great story Andy and I think, apart from the Kray Twins, you're the only guy who could have pulled it off!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

About this blog - contact details.

Bebop Spoken Here -- Here, being the north-east of England -- centred in the blues heartland of Newcastle and reaching down to the Tees Delta and looking upwards to the Land of the Kilt.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Contact: lanceliddle@gmail.com I look forward to hearing from you.

Subscribe!