Bill had a great sense of humour and I have a booklet of his limericks and his often humorous, sometimes hilarious, observations on jazz and its players.
Although Bill had a lot of medical issues he retained his mental faculties and as recently as three weeks ago was able to identify the musicians in a painting of the band at La Dolce Vita. His closing sentence was, in retrospect, touching and poignantly ominous*. Rest In Peace , you will be sadly missed but ne'er forgotten. Lance
PS: Thanks to Roly for the photo and for the sad news.
*Sadly, everyone in the painting has passed away but I remember that these were exciting times with a tremendous camaraderie among musicians. A lovely memory for me before it's my time to join them!!! Bill Harper
2 comments :
So So Sad Billy I ‘had a ball’ playing together over the years Enjoy ‘The band upstairs’ RIP Billy.
Very sad to hear this. Bill was an exceptionally gifted pianist as well as one of the funniest men around. It was my pleasure and great privilege to have the chance to play with him. R.I.P. Bill.
Post a Comment