
Lance
(Photo courtesy of Brian Bennett).
See comment by John Taylor.
See comment/link by Ian.
For the past eighteen years we've been updating the world about jazz in the north east of England and updating the north east of England about jazz in the world. WINNER of the Jazz Media Category in the 2018 All Party Parliamentary Jazz Awards. Contact lanceliddle@gmail.com
October.
Tue 06: Jam session @ The Black Swan, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free. House trio: Murray Oak, Paul Grainger, John Bradford.
Tue 06: Customs House Big Band @ The Masonic Hall, Ferryhill. 7:30pm. Free.
Tue 06: Black is the Color of My Voice @ Northern Stage, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Apphia Campbell’s one-woman stage play inspired by Nina Simone. First night of two.
Wed 07: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Wed 07: Darlington Big Band @ Darlington & Simpson Rolling Mills Social Club, Darlington. 7:00pm. Free. Rehearsal session (open to the public).
Wed 07: Take it to the Bridge @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free.
Wed 07: Black is the Color of My Voice @ Northern Stage, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Apphia Campbell’s one-woman stage play inspired by Nina Simone. Second night of two.
Thu 08: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ The Millstone, Mill Rise, South Gosforth, Newcastle. 1:00pm. Free.
Thu 08: Pete Tanton’s Chet Set @ Newcastle Arts Centre. 7:30pm. Free (donations).
Thu 08: Indigo Jazz Voices w. Little Big Band @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:45pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Dean Stockdale Trio @ Bishop Auckland Methodist Church. 1:00pm. £9.00. Dean Stockdale (piano); Mick Shoulder (double bass); John Bradford (drums).
Fri 09: John Rowland Trio @ Jesmond Library, Newcastle. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Classic Swing @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: Rendezvous Jazz @ The Monkseaton Arms. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: New Orleans Preservation Jazz Band @ The Oxbridge Hotel, Stockton. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Shalala @ The Globe, Newcastle.
Sat 10: Catfish Keith @ Cluny 2, Newcastle. 7:30pm (doors). £19.00. + bf. Jumpin’ Hot Club.
Sun 11: Am Jam @ The Globe, Newcastle. 2:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Michael Young Trio @ The Engine Room, Sunderland. 2:30pm. Free. Feat. guest Jack ‘Banjo’ Courtney (trumpet).
Sun 11: 4B @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 3:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Harry Christelis Quartet @ The Globe, Newcastle. 8:00pm. A Jazz Co-op-JNE co-promotion.
Mon 12: Jack Pearce Quintet @ Yamaha Music School, Blyth. 1:00pm.
Mon 12: Friends of Jazz @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.

6 comments :
Over the years I've seen Derek perform alongside and duet with many of the jazz world's 'A list' reed players, mainly when he was with Mike Durham's West Jesmond Rhythm Kings. John Barnes, George Huxley, Matthias Seuffert, Monty Sunshine, Frank Brooker and so many others - all 'world class'. In my opinion Derek was up there with the best of them.
In his 'day job' he was a meteorologist at the Newcastle Weather Centre and regularly broadcast on Radio Newcastle. I remember travelling with the WJRK's to the Isle of Bute jazz festival. En route, Derek stood at the front of the coach with his weather charts and gave a formal, detailed weather forecast for the weekend ahead - hilarious! Happy memories, Derek! R.I.P.
Can't think that its 4 years since we went to the final WJRK concert at the Isle of Bute Jazz Festival which I attended
I've posted the last recording I did of Derek (in the grand parade on the final day).
Sorry to hear about Dereks sad passing, I played drums with him in the vieux carre band
on numerous occasions, and also with the maine street jazzband.he was a superb musician, and a thoroughly nice guy, I don't know whether he drove or not, but I gave him a lift home as well from time to time!
Sadly missed.yet another of us playing in the big band up there!
Condolences from Mike Green.
Such sad news about Derek. I remember going to the Wheatsheaf in New York
to see him blow with all the guys at a jam session there in the 1980's when his
nickname was the weatherman. Derek always had a very good knowledge of jazz
and was also a very fine musician.
All of us here in Hong Kong , musicians and listener's send our very heartfelt condolences to Alice and the family. R.I.P.
Colin Aitchison
China Coast Jazzmen
Ned Kelly's Last Stand Hong Kong.
Derek Fleck was my father-in-law. On behalf of the family, I would like to say thank you for all the kind words about Derek.
I attach a link to a recording of Derek in the car park at the Whitley Bay Jazz Festival in 2010 when an evacuation due to a false fire alarm prompted a performance in the car park of 'I don't want to set the world on fire'
https://youtu.be/ZbmkG3FeXWc?t=2m29s
Derek was my first Cousin.We lost contact years ago .So sad to hear he died .What a talent he had.I am trying to locate my family.It would be lovely to hear from you.We live in France .My mother Esme Turnor was his Aunt.Eileen Fleck and Leslie Fleck his parents and Brenda his first wife.Sending Best Wishes Jean Barnett
Post a Comment