A few Sonny Rollins' quotes from the Bebop Spoken There archive...
Sonny Rollins: “I don't feel I'm as great as they think I am.” – (DownBeat November 28, 1956)
-----
Sonny Rollins: "These guys who only play their own tunes, they can cover up a lot of things, but if you play the melody of Stardust, everybody can tell whether you're doing it right or not." - (DownBeat August 26, 1965).
-----
Sonny Rollins: "I never actually drove a cab. A job was offered to me, but I never consummated the act, if I can put it that way" - Sonny Rollins. (DownBeat - August 26, 1965).
-----
Sonny Rollins: "I work very hard. I wear out suits playing." - (DownBeat May 29, 1969.)
-----
Sonny Rollins: "I know DownBeat's been pretty hard on me recently, which I suppose is a kind of honor. Maybe now that Miles is dead, they figure they have me to kick around." – (DownBeat December 1992).
-----
Sonny Rollins: “This is my philosophy of playing. It could be 'Mary Had a Little Lamb.' The development of themes, this is the way that I play, I don't care what it is, it's what you do with it” – (DownBeat January 1995).
-----
Sonny Rollins: "I'm fortunate and happy to say that Zoot Sims was an individual that I knew personally in my life" – (DownBeat July 1999).
----- Sonny Rollins: “My aspirations have not yet been achieved at this time. There is more to come, at least that is what I am living for.” - (Jazz Journal January 2009).
-----
Sonny Rollins: “I think the world was created just to be exactly the way it is, to have fighting and people hating each other, people bombing each other.” – (Jazzwise June 2014).
-----
Sonny Rollins: “He [Orrin Keepnews, record producer] gave a lot of guys the opportunity to do a lot of things – Cannonball, who was one of his favorites, McCoy, Monk – so I think he was very helpful to a lot of musicians who needed to be recorded.” – (Jazz Times May 2015).
-----
Sonny Rollins: "I don't like recording, it's like cybersex compared to the real thing" - (Geoffrey Smith's Jazz - Radio 3, October 27, 2019. Brought to my attention by Hugh C).
-----
Sonny Rollins: "I don't really know the present occupant personally, but I knew Lester Young personally, and I would go with Lester Young [for President of the United States of America]." - (The New Yorker 11 June 2020).
-----
Sonny Rollins: "It's too frustrating to listen to music when I can't participate fully as I once did in my life ." - (Jazzwise Dec 2020/Jan 2021).
No comments :
Post a Comment