Bebop Spoken There

John McLaughlin: ''It was then that Coltrane came along and single-handedly brought this dimension of spirituality into jazz. It was a pivotal experience to me.'' (DownBeat September, 2026)

The Things They Say!

This is a good opportunity to say thanks to BSH for their support of the jazz scene in the North East (and beyond) - it's no exaggeration to say that if it wasn't for them many, many fine musicians, bands and projects across a huge cross section of jazz wouldn't be getting reviewed at all, because we're in the "desolate"(!) North. (M & SSBB on F/book 23/12/24)

Postage

18957 (and counting) posts since we started blogging 18 years ago. 821 of them this year alone and, so far this month (Sept. 30.) 100.

Reviewers wanted

Whilst BSH attempts to cover as many gigs, festivals and albums as possible, to make the site even more comprehensive we need more 'boots on the ground' to cover the albums seeking review - a large percentage of which never get heard - report on gigs or just to air your views on anything jazz related. Interested? then please get in touch. Contact details are on the blog. Look forward to hearing from you. Lance

From This Moment On

October.

Mon 05: Friends of Jazz @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Mon 05: Saltburn Big Band @ Saltburn House Hotel. 7:00-9:00pm. Free. Rehearsal session (open to the public).

Tue 06: Alan Law @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 2:00pm. Free. Alan Law (piano) w. Paul Grainger (double bass).
Tue 06: Jam session @ The Black Swan, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free. House trio: Murray Oak, Paul Grainger, John Bradford.
Tue 06: Customs House Big Band @ The Masonic Hall, Ferryhill. 7:30pm. Free.
Tue 06: Black is the Color of My Voice @ Northern Stage, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Apphia Campbell’s one-woman stage play inspired by Nina Simone. First night of two.

Wed 07: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free. Wed 07: Darlington Big Band @ Darlington & Simpson Rolling Mills Social Club, Darlington. 7:00pm. Free. Rehearsal session (open to the public).
Wed 07: Take it to the Bridge @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free.
Wed 07: Black is the Color of My Voice @ Northern Stage, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Apphia Campbell’s one-woman stage play inspired by Nina Simone. Second night of two.

Thu 08: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ The Millstone, Mill Rise, South Gosforth, Newcastle. 1:00pm. Free.
Thu 08: Pete Tanton’s Chet Set @ Newcastle Arts Centre. 7:30pm. Free (donations).
Thu 08: Indigo Jazz Voices w. Little Big Band @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:45pm. £5.00.

Fri 09: Dean Stockdale Trio @ Bishop Auckland Methodist Church. 1:00pm. £9.00. Dean Stockdale (piano); Mick Shoulder (double bass); John Bradford (drums).
Fri 09: John Rowland Trio @ Jesmond Library, Newcastle. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Classic Swing @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: Rendezvous Jazz @ The Monkseaton Arms. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: New Orleans Preservation Jazz Band @ The Oxbridge Hotel, Stockton. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Shalala @ The Globe, Newcastle.

Sat 10: Catfish Keith @ Cluny 2, Newcastle. 7:30pm (doors). £19.00. + bf. Jumpin’ Hot Club.

Sun 11: Am Jam @ The Globe, Newcastle. 2:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Michael Young Trio @ The Engine Room, Sunderland. 2:30pm. Free. Feat. guest Jack ‘Banjo’ Courtney (trumpet).
Sun 11: 4B @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 3:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Harry Christelis Quartet @ The Globe, Newcastle. 8:00pm. A Jazz Co-op-JNE co-promotion.

Tuesday, May 14, 2024

David William Sanborn (July 30, 1945 – May 12, 2024)

© Flore
The passing of David Sanborn heralded the loss of one of the all-time greats of soul/jazz alto playing. Already the obituaries are sprouting up from wherever he sowed the seeds of his greatness. I'm not going down that road, more erudite writers than me will have already done that so, instead, I'm going to reflect on the three occasions that I saw/heard him live.

Nov. 15, 2011: Queen Elizabeth Hall, South Bank Centre, London. With Joey DeFrancesco on Hammond and Byron Landham on drums this was a mind-blowing set that stood head and shoulders above anything else at that year's London Jazz Festival. REVIEW.

Nov. 18, 2013: The Barbican, London. Two years later, almost to the day, I was once again knocked sideways. This time he was with Bob James (piano); Scott Colley (bass) and Steve Gadd (drums). Come the end, a lady sitting next to me said "I'm going to get that CD". Not only did she do so but also sent a mini REVIEW and a cartoon. I wonder where she is now? My REVIEW.

April 11, 2015: Gateshead International Jazz Festival @ Sage, Gateshead. Looking back it seems as though I found him too perfect - as if that was a crime! If it is then he must surely now be given a posthumous pardon. His playing at all three gigs was as funky as they come. REVIEW. 

David Sanborn was 78. May he Rest In Peace. Lance

PODCAST LINK. (See comment by Colin Muirhead) 

3 comments :

Steve T said...

I too was at the Barbican gig. I seem to recall that was the same year we didn't see Sonny Rollins, who cancelled due to ill-health. My best man and landlord in London is a massive Bowie fan so I knew he'd be up for it (Sanborn plays on the Young Americans album).

I saw him again at the Cheltenham Festival and when he sat down, I wondered whether he could still play. Oh yes.

As a young man, I was never a big fan, as he came into my radar at a time when jazz-funk was descending into smooth jazz and I was descending into a jazz snob. Friends of mine went to Manchester to see him when he supported Al Jarreau, but it was more for Sanborn.

I'm DJing in Durham on friday and will be playing Bob James-Touchdown, Steve Khan-Darling Darling Baby, Batann's version of the Bottle and his own Let's Just Say Goodbye.

Incidentally, James' Angela (theme from Taxi) was playing in the taxi from Louis Armstrong airport to our accomodation last year, which I took as a good sign.

Steve T said...

Due to popular demand it looks like I'll be adding Chicago Song and Butterfat to my playlist on friday.

Colin Muirhead said...

This is sad news. I plan to pay my own tribute to David on the next edition of Jazz on the Tyne. In the meantime, I would recommend you check out a series of podcasts by David called As We Speak. They started last autumn and feature conversations with Sonny Rollins, Cécile McLorin Salvant, Pat Metheny and Samara Joy, amongst others. You can find them here: https://www.npr.org/podcasts/1201331649/as-we-speak-with-david-sanborn

Blog Archive