Total Pageviews

Bebop Spoken There

Dee Dee Bridgewater: “ Our world is becoming a very ugly place with guns running rampant in this country... and New Orleans is called the murder capital of the world right now ". Jazzwise, May 2024.

The Things They Say!

Hudson Music: Lance's "Bebop Spoken Here" is one of the heaviest and most influential jazz blogs in the UK.

Rupert Burley (Dynamic Agency): "BSH just goes from strength to strength".

'606' Club: "A toast to Lance Liddle of the terrific jazz blog 'Bebop Spoken Here'"

The Strictly Smokin' Big Band included Be Bop Spoken Here (sic) in their 5 Favourite Jazz Blogs.

Ann Braithwaite (Braithwaite & Katz Communications) You’re the BEST!

Holly Cooper, Mouthpiece Music: "Lance writes pull quotes like no one else!"

Simon Spillett: A lovely review from the dean of jazz bloggers, Lance Liddle...

Josh Weir: I love the writing on bebop spoken here... I think the work you are doing is amazing.

Postage

16408 (and counting) posts since we started blogging 16 years ago. 288 of them this year alone and, so far, 85 this month (April 30).

From This Moment On ...

May

Wed 08: Vieux Carré Jazzmen @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Wed 08: Darlington Big Band @ Darlington & Simpson Rolling Mills Social Club, Darlington. 7:00pm. Free. Rehearsal session (open to the public).
Wed 08: Conor Emery: Jazz Trombone, Stage 3 Final Recital @ Music Studios, Assembly Lane, Newcastle University. 7:00pm. All welcome, the venue is located in the lane behind Blackwell’s, Percy St., Haymarket.
Wed 08: Take it to the Bridge @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free.

Thu 09: Vieux Carré Jazzmen @ The Holystone, Whitley Road, North Tyneside. 1:00pm. Free.
Thu 09: Gateshead Jazz Appreciation Society @ Gateshead Central Library, Gateshead. 2:30pm.
Thu 09: Lewis Watson Quartet + Langdale Youth Jazz Ensemble @ Laurel’s Theatre, Whitley Bay. 8:00pm. £10.00.
Thu 09: Tees Hot Club @ Dorman’s Club, Middlesbrough. 8:30pm. Guests: Josh Bentham (sax); Neil Brodie (trumpet); Dave Archbold (keys); Ron Smith (bass).

Fri 10: Michael Woods @ Lit & Phil, Newcastle. 1:00pm. Free. Country blues guitar & vocals. SOLD OUT!
Fri 10: Classic Swing @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 10: Rendezvous Jazz @ The Monkseaton Arms. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 10: New Orleans Preservation Jazz Band @ The Oxbridge Hotel, Stockton. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 10: Citrus @ The Head of Steam, Newcastle. 7:00pm. £11.25.
Fri 10: Zoë Gilby Quartet @ St Cuthbert’s, Crook. 7:30pm. £10.00.

Sat 11: Jeffrey Hewer Trio @ The Vault, Darlington. 7:00pm. Free.
Sat 11: Alligator Gumbo @ The Witham, Barnard Castle. 7:30pm.
Sat 11: Milne-Glendinning Band @ Yarm Parish Church. 7:30pm.
Sat 11: Tom Remon & Laurence Harrison @ Prohibition Bar, Newcastle. 8:00pm. A ‘Jar on the Bar’ gig.

Sun 12: GoGo Penguin @ Wylam Brewery, Newcastle. 7:00pm (doors). All standing gig.
Sun 12: Eva Fox & the Jazz Guys @ Prohibition Bar, Newcastle. 7:00pm. Downstairs. A ‘Jar on the Bar’ gig.
Sun 12: Satin Beige @ Prohibition Bar, Newcastle. 8:00pm. £7.50 + bf. Upstairs. R&B cello & vocals
Sun 12: Fergus McCreadie Trio @ The Glasshouse, Gateshead. 8:00pm. £19.80.
Sun 12: Schmid/Wheatley/Prévost + Signe Emmeluth @ The Globe, Newcastle. 8:00pm. JNE.

Mon 13: Emma Fisk & James Birkett @ Yamaha Music School, Blyth. 1:00pm. £8.00.

Tue 14: ???

Monday, July 17, 2023

Jazz on the Tyne – birth of a jazz podcast

Five years ago, I could never have imagined that I would find myself presenting a radio show or podcast, let alone one that’s about to hit 100 (editions, not years!).  As with so many things, it was largely a matter of chance.

At the start of 2019, I was looking for volunteering opportunities, having just self-published a book based on my 13 visits to the Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland. I had heard about the Volunteer Centre Newcastle and I looked through the extensive list of opportunities on their website. Two in particular caught my eye: one was for a maths tutor; the other was for a presenter on Hive Radio, an internet station operated by Community Arts Project North East (CAPNE). 

I decided not to pursue the former opportunity, although I currently do some informal maths tutoring for those with English as a second language.  However, I did apply to CAPNE.  I recently found a copy of my application form, which included the following:

I have no previous experience of radio broadcasting but would be keen to learn about this.  I have been told that my voice would be good for radio and – as well as playing music – I would enjoy telling listeners why I have chosen these songs and hopefully give some background about the musicians.  I would also like to advertise local upcoming gigs and feature recordings by some of these performers.

I had no expectation that this application would be successful. So, I was astonished shortly afterwards when Ben Hudson, co-director of CAPNE, rang and said they were interested in taking me on!

I then met Ben and Diane Gray, the other CAPNE director, at their base at Perth Green in Jarrow. Ben, who’s a folk musician with a teaching and training background, and Diane, who’s an award-winning radio producer, had founded CAPNE a few years earlier, to maintain the community radio station previously based at Bede’s World museum. The station had presenters playing various styles of music – but not jazz! So, I explained my plans for a jazz show to Ben and Diane, who were happy to go with this. They had a radio studio at Perth Green, but I decided to record my shows at home; a fortunate decision, in the light of global events the following year.

I prepared the first programme soon afterwards; Ben and Diane liked it and fixed the date for transmission: 27 April 2019.  In the meantime, I busily alerted people to the new show, set up a Twitter account – and designed a logo, featuring a saxophone and the Angel!

Over the next year or so, Jazz on the Tyne was broadcast fortnightly on Hive Radio in an hour-long midday slot on Saturdays, with a repeat on Wednesday evenings.  The Saturday slot had the advantage of coming directly after two strong music programmes: Ben Hudson’s folk show at 10 am, which covered the North East scene; and – at 11 am - Trev Reed’s 60’s show, which (in my view) gave a more celebrated programme on the same theme a run for its money!  I was very sad when Trev died towards the end of 2019.  Although the current podcast format for Jazz on the Tyne offers more flexibility regarding scheduling and the length of programmes, I do miss tuning in to Hive Radio on a Saturday morning, knowing that other people would be listening at the same time.

Early on, I realised I needed to place special emphasis on one of the things I had mentioned in my CAPNE application; namely, to showcase music by local artists and highlight what was going on jazz-wise in the North East.  So, for example, I prepared special shows previewing the Newcastle Jazz Festival and the Newcastle Festival of Jazz and Improvised Music.  With the arrival of Covid and no gigs taking place, I had to change tack and - for much of 2020 and beyond - interviews with musicians from the North East and further afield formed the heart of my shows.  I’m enormously grateful to all my guests for sparing the time to chat with me; I was fascinated by the insights that they provided.  Although I feature fewer interviews now, they remain an important part of Jazz on the Tyne.

Sadly, as well as having a massive impact on musicians, the pandemic severely impacted the operation of CAPNE. During the second half of 2020, CAPNE ceased transmissions from its website and instead all its music shows were uploaded to Mixcloud as podcasts. In fact, all of Hive Radio’s music programmes both before and since that time (more than a 1000 of them!) remain available at www.mixcloud.com/hive_radio. At the same time, Diane and Ben began uploading to Anchor FM a series of audio dramas set in the north east, under the heading Hive Radio Storytellers (https://anchor.fm/hive-radio-storytellers).  I’m pleased to say these dramas continue to be produced now. However, CAPNE closed at the start of 2021, and Jazz on the Tyne is the only show now being uploaded to Hive Radio on Mixcloud.

The hundredth edition of Jazz on the Tyne will be coming out at the start of August. Ahead of that, I would like to thank Ben and Diane for helping me to get the show off the ground and everyone who’s assisted me one way or another.  Plus - there’s still time to send in a request or message for this programme, by emailing me at jazz.tyne.hive@gmail, via Twitter @jazz_tyne, or via the Jazz on the Tyne website, www.jazzonthetyne.org.  I’d love to hear from you! Colin Muirhead

1 comment :

Brian Bennett said...

Extremely interesting article, Colin. A great read!
It reminded me that my good friend, trumpeter, trombonist and band leader, Colin Aitchison, made a similar ‘leap of faith’ into radio broadcasting with absolutely no previous experience.
Based at live music venue ‘Ned Kelly’s Last Stand’ in Hong Kong, Colin has worked there for many years and in his position as musical director & band leader was (until the covid pandemic came along) performing most nights of the week.
His radio show is called ‘VINTAGE CHART TOPPERS’ and is broadcast on RTHK Radio 3 Hong Kong at 8.30 on Sunday mornings.
PS. I stayed in Montreux some years ago, missed its wonderful jazz festival, but did catch a fantastic dixieland jazz band performing on a paddle steamer on lake Geneva - also great to see the bronze statue of Freddie Mercury who had strong links to the town after Queen acquired the Montreux Lakeside Mountain Recording Studios in 1978.

Blog Archive