
Obituary
For the past eighteen years we've been updating the world about jazz in the north east of England and updating the north east of England about jazz in the world. WINNER of the Jazz Media Category in the 2018 All Party Parliamentary Jazz Awards. Contact lanceliddle@gmail.com
October.
Thu 08: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ The Millstone, Mill Rise, South Gosforth, Newcastle. 1:00pm. Free.
Thu 08: Pete Tanton’s Chet Set @ Newcastle Arts Centre. 7:30pm. Free (donations).
Thu 08: Indigo Jazz Voices w. Little Big Band @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:45pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Dean Stockdale Trio @ Bishop Auckland Methodist Church. 1:00pm. £9.00. Dean Stockdale (piano); Mick Shoulder (double bass); John Bradford (drums).
Fri 09: John Rowland Trio @ Jesmond Library, Newcastle. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Classic Swing @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: Rendezvous Jazz @ The Monkseaton Arms. 1:00pm. Free.
Fri 09: New Orleans Preservation Jazz Band @ The Oxbridge Hotel, Stockton. 1:00pm. £5.00.
Fri 09: Shalala @ The Globe, Newcastle.
Sat 10: Catfish Keith @ Cluny 2, Newcastle. 7:30pm (doors). £19.00. + bf. Jumpin’ Hot Club.
Sun 11: Am Jam @ The Globe, Newcastle. 2:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Michael Young Trio @ The Engine Room, Sunderland. 2:30pm. Free. Feat. guest Jack ‘Banjo’ Courtney (trumpet).
Sun 11: 4B @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 3:00pm. Free.
Sun 11: Harry Christelis Quartet @ The Globe, Newcastle. 8:00pm. A Jazz Co-op-JNE co-promotion.
Mon 12: Jack Pearce Quintet @ Yamaha Music School, Blyth. 1:00pm.
Mon 12: Friends of Jazz @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Tue 13: Alan Law @ The Ticket Office, Whitley Bay. 2:00pm. Free. Alan Law (piano) w. Julija Jacenaite (vocals).
Wed 14: Vieux Carré Hot 4 @ Cullercoats Crescent Club. 1:00pm. Free.
Wed 14: Darlington Big Band @ Darlington & Simpson Rolling Mills Social Club, Darlington. 7:00pm. Free. Rehearsal session (open to the public).
Wed 14: Jam session @ The Tannery, Hexham. 7:00pm. Free.
Wed 14: Take it to the Bridge @ The Globe, Newcastle. 7:30pm. Free.
Wed 14: NW FRQNC @ Pilgrim, Newcastle. 7:30pm. £15.00. Selina Albright, Gianni Vancini.
Wed 14: Jacob Egglestone Trio @ Elder Beer, Heaton, Newcastle. 8:00pm. £12.00. JNE.

7 comments :
Yes, very sad. I know that Ron Bowden is still alive but Jim Bray passed away some years ago.
Regarding Pat, he was a lovely, gentle, man who always made time to stop and chat. I remember he came up to Newcastle in the 1980's and guested for six nights with the River City. I found him a dream to play alongside,- he left spaces in all the right places and always concentrated on taste rather than showing us how many notes he could play. He really was a very good musician,- I know that people tend to associate the Chris Barber Band with Traditional Jazz only, but the fact is that from the 1960's onwards the band experimented with many different styles of music, including R&B, Gospel, compositions by Charles Mingus and Joe Harriet, and even forays into East European folk music, and Pat seemingly effortlessly mastered them all, playing either trumpet or flugel. I last saw Pat just a few days before he retired at the Alnwick Playhouse, - he was still playing well but told me that the extensive travelling was becoming a problem. He will be sadly missed by all his many friends.
Gordon - the six nights...were these at different venues across the north east?
I had a tape of Halcox with the River City which I foolishly loaned out and never got back.
Yes, - why do you ask?
I've got one somewhere Lance, would you like a copy?
If you can lay hands on it yes please. I'll email you my address and buy you a pint next time I see you.
OK Lance. I think the tape also has tracks with guests John Crocker and Mike Cotton.
Post a Comment